Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

What RC track tires are you running?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Heavy-Dee 
#1 ·
After Barber the Diablos will be either dust or close. I was not unhappy with them at Grattan and do not expect that to change after Barber. However I am considering Pilot Powers for the next set. Anyone run these on an RC? What is the change in handling etc. This will be track use only by a slow sheep (and I have no tire warmers)

#3 ·
southpark460 said:
I currently have the Pilot Powers on my RC and love them! They never felt loose at all at the track, and work great on the street too. I'm running a 190 on the rear, but even with that the RC turns in great!
What else have you run? There were Metzlers on it when I got it but I ran them on the road just long enough to get used to the bike.

#4 ·
Honestly, that's it to date! I'm getting ready to throw some Dunlop 208GPA's on there though as I turn her track-only. I've found the key to the Powers is tire pressure. I know, there's more than enough reading on that subject! I also have Pilot Powers on my 929 and loaned it to my friend for a few days. When I got it back, it wasn't riding right. Very twitchy. Suspension felt all wrong. After I talked to him, he told me he put more air in the tires! I was running 22 front, 24 back and he pumped them up to 32 front, 36 back! Without getting too off-track, tire pressure will make or break the Powers!

#5 ·
I have run nothing but slicks in the following varieties:

Michelin Pilot slicks (came with the bike): Decent turn in, take a while to warm up, basic Michelin "stick, stick, stick wham" characteristics.

Dunlop KR slicks: What can I say, these are great tires unless you get about every third one (it seems) which isn't round . . .

Bridgestone Battlax Racing slicks: Great tires, same from unit to unit (decent QC!), warm up quickly, great feedback and predictable slide characteristics. I plan on using this tire for awhile . . .

#7 ·
sheepofblue said:
Ahh the expert :eyebrows: you have seen me and the passenger ride. Assuming that I pick the pace up a notch it would seem that the cost of slicks would be wasted on me for now, correct?
I believe they might even set you back a step or two. I would recommend you try a set of the Bridgestone 002s and you may be pleasantly surprised.

#8 ·
Tires are a matter of personal preference... You gotta run what gives you the feedback & feel that gives you confidence to go quick.

Abtech hates the Metzler/Pirelli's, but I have had excellent results with them barring some set-up issues that were my own fault & the new Racetech's (190/55) are providing more grip & way better wear than the Rennsports they replaced & I have yet to burn a set out from heat cycles. Might be worth your time to shoe a set on & just give them a try. The added ride height in the rear will have you dialing the shock to negative numbers though so if you haven't added an adjustable shock on the rear and/or reworked the front forks then don't even bother as you will not like the way the bike will be handling if you cannot make proper geometry corrections.

#9 ·
Yep but I was actually looking for comments like "Wow tire X changes ride height/turn in/clearance etc."

I had no issues with the Diablos that are on it. They got nice and gummy at Grattan and I certainly didn't out ride them. That said I am still considering the swap to Pilot Powers (or Race) as I think even a DOT race is overkill for me and the passenger this season. Maybe by next year's org day :idunno: but I am hoping for 3-6 trackdays by then :D

#10 ·
I'm new to track riding (1 year) and have sampled a few tires. I'll start all the way back for anyone who is just looking for tire opinion, lastly the track tires.

I don't have an RC (yet) so these are from the perspective of an inline 4 600cc

1) continental conti sports - I had an F3 for a few months with these tires, got good at controlling slides, traction was stupid bad

2) Mez3 - same F3, better than the conties, but IMHO crap tires

3) Dunlop 208s - 04 R6 - better than above two, great on the street and for getting started on the track. Not so good when you get faster (A CR for NESBA said there was smoke coming of the rear tire while exiting corners at pocono east)

4) Pirelli Diable Corsa - 04 R6 - awsome tire, great traction. wicked fast turnin, last what seems like forever. getting 8 track days of a set of these is common. great tire!

5) Dunlop GP-A - 04 R6 - awsome tire. traction better than diablo corsas, last 4 track days at best :mad: The turn-in with these tires is quite a bit slower than the corsas. one of the CR's was saying that the crown of the front tire is flatter. In my lack of experience these tires seem to stick better, but turn in slower. I dropped the front a mm which help turnin, raised the back 2mm which helped the bike hold it's line better on corner exit.

Tire pressure goes a long way. Last time on the track I was having traction problems on the GP-A's, a guy helped out by checking my tire pressure with a $400 guage. turns out my $23 accu-pressure guage is off by 6 lbs, that combined with me thinking I had to put 34 lbs in instead of 31 made for a very overinflated tire that did not stick well.

#12 ·
I wouldn't be afraid to try a race DOT, like a Pilot Race or Pirelli Super Corsa. Abtech gave good advice in the BT002. These are all great tires and for mere mortals can be very impressive and confidence inspiring. Just as an example, when I took the D218's off of my Gixxer in lieu of the SuperCorsa my lap time immediately fell ~3 secs and then another 2 thoughout the day.

HD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.