Maintenance ?'s - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda RC51 Discussion of the Honda RC51, Honda SP1, and Honda SP2 Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-21-2006, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Maintenance ?'s

I want to perform the 8,000 mile service on my 01' RC51. I was looking at the manual and they really dont tell you how to change the coolant on the RC. My question is on the procedure of changing the coolant, and what brand and type of coolant I should change it with? Also what brand of oil and filters are you guys using on your RC's? Are there any places online that I could get maintenance items cheaper than the dealer? Sorry for al the questions, but this is my first time I will be performing my own work on my bike as you can probably tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-21-2006, 4:38 PM

Re: Maintenance ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostede36
I want to perform the 8,000 mile service on my 01' RC51. I was looking at the manual and they really dont tell you how to change the coolant on the RC. My question is on the procedure of changing the coolant, and what brand and type of coolant I should change it with? Also what brand of oil and filters are you guys using on your RC's? Are there any places online that I could get maintenance items cheaper than the dealer? Sorry for al the questions, but this is my first time I will be performing my own work on my bike as you can probably tell.
1. Buy a service manual. In it you'll find the procedure to drain and refill the coolant.
2. Change it with the coolant you can find at your Honda dealer.
3. oil and filters are debateable. I use either a mobil 1 filter or amsoil filter, oem filter when I don't have time to find one of the previously mentioned.
I'm running Mobil 1 15w 30 EP full synthetic right now, but I usually use Amsoil.
4. Maintenance items try www.ronayers.com or servicehonda.

Buy a service manual, it will show you how to do all service on the bike but I recommend leaving your valve inspection/adjustment to the dealer unless you are very mechanically sound and have the proper tools.

Cheers.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-21-2006, 4:41 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

drain the coolant out of the overflow bottle and the radiator. flush it out with either water or some prestone coolant flush (or other brand) then fill it back up. get the engine warm with the radiator cap off (it'll suck the coolant down) and top it off. I did my 929 last sumemr and used the Honda stuff. Did a friends zx7r,I forget what brand we used though, might have been just regular old prestone.

way too many choices on oil, just make sure its a good quality one. filter I'd just stick with the good old honda one (the 2 deez mentioned are also good filters).

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-21-2006, 8:08 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Patience on the flush but otherwise easy if you have the manual (I had to get all the green out of everywhere for the track, you might not). For the manual ron ayers or directly from helm.inc for the official Honda service manual.

On oil I use Motul 300V now but had used Honda synth. For filters the Honda filters are very well made and the only thing I have used up to now. I might switch to K&N next season on the RC since they are also well made and have a end that accepts safety wire

The key is good oil that is motorcycle oil for a wet clutch and a well made filter. There is better and worse but if you do those regular you will have good results. I would guess antifreeze is similar to a car on duration thus should be changed every 2-3 years. Antifreeze needs to be changed as the additives break down (anti-corrosion and seal lubricant)

Must obey the sheep dog
post #5 of 6 Old 01-22-2006, 10:02 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Make sure your coolant has NO silicates as they will eat up your water pump seal.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #6 of 6 Old 01-23-2006, 8:39 PM

CBRBOB is right, dont use just any coolant. It has to be silicate free, use either genuine honda or else look for what they usually refer to as an organic coolant. It will normally have on the container that it complies with the japanese specs. Also make sure you don't mix it any stronger than 50/50 with distilled water as this will also be counterproductive. Regards, bad_habits. p.s. if you don't know what type of coolant is in your bike, make sure you flush it well, otherwise you can get reactions between the different types of coolant.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda RC51

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page