Fans not turning on at 200 degrees anymore - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda RC51 Discussion of the Honda RC51, Honda SP1, and Honda SP2 Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-01-2006, 2:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Fans not turning on at 200 degrees anymore

Note: The fans kicked on at 200 before about 4 dozen times the last few track days.

I bought the RC with some damage to the right radiator. The main pipe next to the filler hole was kinked. I took the radiator off and put it back to normal today.

I reinstalled the radiator, filled it with water. It did over flow a lot when I accidentally turned the bike off to hear someone talk. Started it again. Refilled it. At around 180, the fans kicked for a few seconds and turned off. I know this because it was spitting water everywhere. Then it did it again a few moments later, only for a few seconds. Mind you the bike is still around 180, not 200.

I let the bike hit 200, no fans. I checked the fuse, it was ok. I replaced it anyway. I took it for a drive, let it 200, and again, nothing.

Right now I have a house fan on the bike in the garage. I'm going to check it tomorrow. The next thing I'll do is unplug the battery for a bit. I don't know what the is going to do. That is all I can think of.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be? I have a track day in a few days. I already paid for it. I'd be freaking happy as a claim if someone can give me something to work with.

The fans can't be fried? They ran the two times after the over flow. And the left one was turning on and off just the same, and that wasn't exposed to water. Maybe the problem occured when I reinstalled the radiator.

I don't know.

Thanks,
Paul

--------------
Paul Roesner (redwhite929rr)
--------------
08 Honda 1000rr, Vance and Hines slip on. Power Commander III.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-01-2006, 4:27 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot
Re: Fans not turning on at 200 degrees anymore

I dont think my fans came on until 215ish or so... let the heat build up a bit more heat and see what it does... If you are worried about the trackday, as long as you keep moving and dont let the bike sit and idle alot, you should be ok without fans as long as you are in some clean air and not drafting someone the whole way.
Chris
post #3 of 8 Old 07-02-2006, 12:10 PM

Reputation Power: 0

The fans are supposed to turn themselves on @ 211 degrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-02-2006, 6:59 PM

Also the temp. sensor is on the engine and the fan temp. switch is on the radiator. What this means to you is just because the engine is 200 does not mean the radiators are and if they are not the fans will not turn on. If you have a air pocket in the lines you could have cavitation (air at the pump) and the hot water would never get to the radiators. You might have a bad thermostat and the water would not flow to the radiator.

You can check the fans by grounding the wire that runs to the radiator sensor. With the key on and that wire grounded the fan should turn on.

On other thing if the radiator is not properly grounded the fans will act funny cause the fan sensor just opens a conection to ground when hot.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-13-2006, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 18

Thanks for the replies gentleman.

Here is an update. I've been testing it out a lot lately, and the fans kicked on every time at 219. And the fans run till it hits 210.

Anybody else getting this kind of reaction from their RCs?

I'm assuming the themostat works because the water level changes quite a bit when the bike hits 180 or so.

--------------
Paul Roesner (redwhite929rr)
--------------
08 Honda 1000rr, Vance and Hines slip on. Power Commander III.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-13-2006, 3:45 PM
edp

Reputation Power: 14

My 929 fans have always cut in at 105 C. (221 F.) and I have never had a problem - I have also never used water as a coolant, always Prestone orange for zero internal corrosion - sounds like you had an air lock when the radiator was re-installed
post #7 of 8 Old 07-13-2006, 4:56 PM

Sounds to me like you were not letting her warm up enough for the fans to kick in ...
post #8 of 8 Old 07-13-2006, 11:28 PM

[quote=redwhite929rr;495076]
Here is an update. I've been testing it out a lot lately, and the fans kicked on every time at 219. And the fans run till it hits 210.

Anybody else getting this kind of reaction from their RCs?

quote]

My numbers are on at an indicated 217 and off at 207, and that is on a 2000 RC51. Your numbers look just right now, allowing for a little tolerance in the sensors and instruments. Some overshoot (higher ... sometimes into the 220's) is normal if ridden hard then going to stop and go; nothing to worry about. You are good to go.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda RC51

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page