replacing wheels? What do I need? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda RC51 Discussion of the Honda RC51, Honda SP1, and Honda SP2 Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-02-2006, 3:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

replacing wheels? What do I need?

I'M thinking of buying a set of nice "lighter" aftermarket wheels (rims) for my 04 RC51.....
I'd have the local honda dealer put them on by swapping out my stock set...
My question is.... What else (if anything) will I need to get before I take the bike to the shop other than the wheels? Bearings, etc.... Can I use any of the "stock" parts on/ in the new wheels? I'll be using the stock rotors and sproket/ hub etc...
Any help?
thanks
tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-02-2006, 3:47 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Re: replacing wheels? What do I need?

Are you riding on the street? If so be sure they are street use rims (rather than the lightest)

In my search most rims do not use the stock rear sprocket. They also typically come with a new cush drive.

I bet the folks here could provide more specific feedback if you provided the brand of rim you are looking at though.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #3 of 18 Old 11-02-2006, 6:28 PM

Reputation Power: 27

I've got a set of Marchezini forged Magnesium Five spoke wheels off my 929. You'd need to get spacers. Not sure if you would need to change out the bearings or not.

Ride Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-03-2006, 8:44 AM

Reputation Power: 15

Who ever you buy wheels from (new) will be able to direct you as to what rear sprocket you'll need, as well as spacers for your exact application.

As stated, the rear sprocket will not be the same as stock, and your stock rear wheel spacers will not work, rather, the ones made for that brand of wheel.

If you find a used set from someone, you should be set, all the way around. If not, ask them where they got them and you should be able to source out what you need.

I'd spend the money on suspension, FIRST, before wheels....

$2500 worth of light weight wheels are a waste if all you have is crappy suspension to keep them planted.......IMHO.

Then again, judging by your "Who makes the loudest exhaust" thread, your interest is in "Bling", not overall performance.........

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...p-exhaust.html

"Wake me when the winter's over......"

Last edited by Rigor; 11-03-2006 at 8:51 AM.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-03-2006, 9:09 AM

rode my buddy's gixer thou k5 with BST carbons (+ superstock tune, 178 RWHP) & its the fastest turning thing ever... quicky than my missus' vfr400 (its lighter too)

wanna put carbons on the blade... but they cost what the bike's worth !!!!!
post #6 of 18 Old 11-03-2006, 9:10 AM Thread Starter

I was also thinking of just getting my stock wheels polished .... Then I could use the same spacers; sprocket; etc.......

As far as the loudest slip-on went ---- I don't want the loudest --- I was just curious if different brands had different noise Db levels...... I'd rather have a quieter pipe and add some horses than a screamin' demon pipe and sub-par performance......
It was just a question...that's all
tj
post #7 of 18 Old 11-03-2006, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjimmy5150 View Post
I was also thinking of just getting my stock wheels polished .... Then I could use the same spacers; sprocket; etc.......

Well, if now you're talking about polishing your wheels, then apparently the bling-appearence is what you're looking for. Not that there's anything wrong with that..... just admit it....

CF wheels or Forged Magnesium wheels are $1200+ range (CF MUCH more, like closer to $2500+) ) and polishing your wheels is less then $50, if you do it yourself.

I polished my wheels 2 years ago and the Honda castings are some of the best I've ever seen. Used aircraft stripper (available at any automotive store), 3M GRAY scuffie pads, Mother's Mag polish and took my time. Start to finish, including removing the tires and front rotors, it took me 8 beers and 3 hours time.

post #8 of 18 Old 11-03-2006, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigor View Post
Well, if now you're talking about polishing your wheels, then apparently the bling-appearence is what you're looking for. Not that there's anything wrong with that..... just admit it....

CF wheels or Forged Magnesium wheels are $1200+ range (CF MUCH more, like closer to $2500+) ) and polishing your wheels is less then $50, if you do it yourself.

I polished my wheels 2 years ago and the Honda castings are some of the best I've ever seen. Used aircraft stripper (available at any automotive store), 3M GRAY scuffie pads, Mother's Mag polish and took my time. Start to finish, including removing the tires and front rotors, it took me 8 beers and 3 hours time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...999/side-1.jpg
maaaaaaaaaan, CFs are like £1800 here ($3400ish)

think it would have taken me 3 beers & 8 hours

=======

To continue the topic

aftermarket wheels should be lighter & lighter wheels make for far quicker steering bikes (in a magazine test, a set of CF wheel proved to 2.0s per lap quicker on the same bike with no other mods)

if you dont give a monkeys about 2.0s a lap, then polishing will be a far better looking option IMHO, especially to non-bikey people as no one notices carbon wheels unless they look, but something shiney always draws a crowd IMHO

Cheers
post #9 of 18 Old 11-03-2006, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzman View Post
maaaaaaaaaan, CFs are like £1800 here ($3400ish)

think it would have taken me 3 beers & 8 hours
My bad, Adzman.....

$3400+ is more like it. It's approximately $3800 for the front and rear. I was only accounting for one wheel............. Not even sure if this includes gear, rotors, and bushings.............

RC51 - Indysuperbikes

post #10 of 18 Old 11-03-2006, 1:30 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Quote:
My bad, Adzman.....

Not even sure if this includes gear, rotors, and bushings.............

RC51 - Indysuperbikes
FYI...It don't! you get carbon, only carbon.

Ride Red
post #11 of 18 Old 11-03-2006, 3:38 PM

Quote:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...999/side-1.jpg
but you only polished the rims, not the spokes and hub.
post #12 of 18 Old 11-03-2006, 4:09 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post
FYI...It don't! you get carbon, only carbon.
Good info thanks. I might get some RC rims (NOT CF) this winter and they were a bit less than Kyle on Magnesiums but I bet he is a total package

Must obey the sheep dog
post #13 of 18 Old 11-03-2006, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech View Post
but you only polished the rims, not the spokes and hub.

Correct. Spokes and hub are a rough surface, and would require sanding at a minimum, to get them smooth. Not worth the effort to me, for a little more bling, not to mention the difficulty to keep them clean and shiney.

The rim area is relatively wide, and brightens the wheel greatly, when compared to an all black wheel. Clean up is simple, easy and only requires a rag and some Mother's about once every 6 months. Chain side gets wiped down with brake clean and a aerosol spray polish every so often to keep the chain lube off it.

The clean up was a little more the first year I did it, as my luck yielded me 8 of 10 trackdays in the rain.....

post #14 of 18 Old 11-26-2006, 1:50 PM

What are you doing with the old rims? I might need a rear do to a dent on the bead on mine.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-26-2006, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Correct. Spokes and hub are a rough surface, and would require sanding at a minimum, to get them smooth. Not worth the effort to me, for a little more bling, not to mention the difficulty to keep them clean and shiney.

The rim area is relatively wide, and brightens the wheel greatly, when compared to an all black wheel. Clean up is simple, easy and only requires a rag and some Mother's about once every 6 months. Chain side gets wiped down with brake clean and a aerosol spray polish every so often to keep the chain lube off it.

The clean up was a little more the first year I did it, as my luck yielded me 8 of 10 trackdays in the rain.....
I polished the rims on my TZs and the spokes and hub are very rough, but I polished the entire wheels. Try about 50 hours with every possible tool I could find and most of the work still required hand sanding/polishing due to the curvature of the surfaces. There are quite a few shops that polish wheels and the end product is definitely worth it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda RC51

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page