05 battery dying - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda RC51 Discussion of the Honda RC51, Honda SP1, and Honda SP2 Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-03-2009, 8:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via MSN to skwyd
05 battery dying

I have a problem with my 05 and I need all of your expertise plz.

I recently replaced my battery after it died on me and figured that due to my colder climate in the winter (Utah) and it being 4 years old it was due. Today after taking my 3rd ride with the new battery, I found the battery was unable to start my bike again. I bump started it, and got it almost home but then my FI light started to flash and then it just died.

I did recently replace the "Hot boddies" crappy tail lights with new Ultra LED tail lights if anyone has had any issues with that aspect.

Any ideas would be appreciated from the brotherhood of the RVT.

SKWYD

Corpsman UP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-03-2009, 8:22 PM

Reputation Power: 59

Re: 05 battery dying

Try measuring the voltage across the battery when it is off/idling/reving about 4k... Just wondering whether your stator has gone

What batteries are you using?

"Second is the first of the losers..."
post #3 of 10 Old 08-03-2009, 10:55 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via Yahoo to zerogara Send a message via Skype™ to zerogara

Or rectifier/regulator (much cheaper problem). With a little charging the battery should show 12-12.5 easily. You need a slow charger to charge a battery well and most new batteries need to be fully charged before thay are put to work.
Once started the voltage should jump to 13.5+ and should climb a little more after revving it. If after starting it the voltage remains low or lower your charging system is down. The stator produces AC sends it the rectifier/regulator which converts it to DC and the regulator stabilizes the voltage depending on the needs, lights, charging, etc.
Is there a chance you pulled a connector or cut a wire while installing the undertail? The rect/reg part is metal with colling fins on it I believe on the left side of the subframe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-03-2009, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both for your insights. I will check both and get back with you tomorrow. THANKS!

SKWYD

Corpsman UP!!
post #5 of 10 Old 08-04-2009, 8:33 AM

Reputation Power: 59

Btw hows your Mustang? I keep saying if I ever won the lottery I would take her off your hands *drools*

"Second is the first of the losers..."
post #6 of 10 Old 08-04-2009, 9:02 AM Thread Starter

well I havent sold her. I still need to get the dash all connected up, and then get her registered. I still think i would be willing to trade her for an original RC30 and some cash but.... Which is your favorite of all of your bikes by the way? my first bike was an 86 VFR and they have always held a special place in my heart.

SKWYD

Corpsman UP!!
post #7 of 10 Old 08-04-2009, 9:34 AM

Definition of a car: A vehicle to be used for transporting motorcycle parts back and forth that can;t be carried by your second motorcycle, or one that can drag a motorcycle trailer. A cage on wheels. Cats are never happy in cages, rats and hamsters are!

Which reminds me I haven't started my station wagon or my MK1 Cortina in 4,5 months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam View Post
Btw hows your Mustang? I keep saying if I ever won the lottery I would take her off your hands *drools*
post #8 of 10 Old 08-04-2009, 12:50 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Hi,

My 2000 929 went dead while riding last week as well:

Question: What is the "ground" when checking the stator wire and regulator/rectifier wire according to the service manual?
How do I know if it is the regulator/rectifier or the stator that needs to be replaced? Battery seems to be OK.

Background:

I can ride my bike for about 40 miles, then the battery will die while I'm riding if the bike idles while I'm riding, say at a toll booth.
When not riding I keep my bike on a battery tender.

I have the service manual and am following the instructions for the charging system troubeshoot:

Battery voltage is 12.5v
There is a 1.0 mA current leak.
Engine rev to 5,000rpm does increase voltage to about 14 with high beams on.
Can't figure out where the problem is with my multimeter.

I've been searching the forum and have read most threads pertaining to this topic. Just can't figure out which component it might be, reg/rec or stator?
post #9 of 10 Old 08-05-2009, 9:31 AM

Check your connections on the reg/rect and whether it is loose.
If you are getting voltage with all lights on above 12.5 that means it is charging. But it may not be doing it full time. Maybe your tender connector is shorting somewhere.....? If there is a way you can connect your voltage meter and tape it to the tank and go for a ride on an open no traffic oad and see what it does.
Also a dead battery will/might not charge sufficiently with a tender, and if the bike is dying it means it is dead dead, or there is a different problem.
When it dies, do you have to jump start it with an other battery?
It is easy to replace the reg/rect but hard or impossible to change the stator without proper tools (proper extractor at least).
The testing of the stator is according to manual, you measure the resistance of the coils. If you have a friend with a Honda with similar rect/reg ask him if you can switch it around.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-17-2009, 5:27 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Zerogara:
Thanks for the insight. It was my battery tender that was the source of the battery drain. I've since disconnected it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda RC51

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page