battery losing power - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda SuperHawk Discussion of the Honda VTR1000 Motorcycle.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-15-2019, 4:35 AM Thread Starter
DvR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

battery losing power

Hi guys/ladies

Hope you're all doing well.

Ive got a 1998 Honda VTR 1000F and for some or other reason something is draining the battery. I fitted a brand new battery, rode for a week and then she struggles to swing. Took it back to the battery shop, tested it, all was fine except it needed a charge. Got it back fully charged, slid it into battery compartment, attached terminals and 1 swing she took. 1 week later, same thing. battery underpowered. now I had woodwork in school so my auto electrical abilities and knowledge isn't 100%. I disconnected her ignition but the battery is still running down while she's parked. I would really appreciate it if anyone can give me advice or some insight on where i must look or disconnect or whatever on what can be the cause of the battery draining. I thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-15-2019, 6:10 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Re: battery losing power

If you haven't installed anything recently like an alarm or tracker that would be sapping power while the ignition is off, it would seem that there's a short circuit in the system somewhere, OR, the battery isn't charging properly when the bike is running.

If you are competent with a multi-meter, you can check the charge rate going into the battery, AND check for circuit leaks. If not, you really need to go to a dealer or independent workshop.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-18-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
DvR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanx Nigelrb

I have installed a switch for the fan and double headlights instead of the original single headlight and connected it like an auto electrician told me to connect it. That uses quite a bit of power but still above 12V when shes idling. I need to know how to check for whats draining the battery when shes parked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-18-2019, 10:55 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvR View Post
Thanx Nigelrb

I have installed a switch for the fan and double headlights instead of the original single headlight and connected it like an auto electrician told me to connect it. That uses quite a bit of power but still above 12V when shes idling. I need to know how to check for whats draining the battery when shes parked.
You (or a person who knows electrical resistance) need to use a multi meter to check various circuits for leakage, and, the charging input into the battery.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-22-2019, 5:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Allow someone with more experience or yourself check on the whole charging system and possible circuit leak. That might just be the answer you are looking for. All the best.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda SuperHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page