Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

battery losing power

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  IanDoohan 
#1 ·
Hi guys/ladies

Hope you're all doing well.

Ive got a 1998 Honda VTR 1000F and for some or other reason something is draining the battery. I fitted a brand new battery, rode for a week and then she struggles to swing. Took it back to the battery shop, tested it, all was fine except it needed a charge. Got it back fully charged, slid it into battery compartment, attached terminals and 1 swing she took. 1 week later, same thing. battery underpowered. now I had woodwork in school so my auto electrical abilities and knowledge isn't 100%. I disconnected her ignition but the battery is still running down while she's parked. I would really appreciate it if anyone can give me advice or some insight on where i must look or disconnect or whatever on what can be the cause of the battery draining. I thank you in advance.

#2 ·
If you haven't installed anything recently like an alarm or tracker that would be sapping power while the ignition is off, it would seem that there's a short circuit in the system somewhere, OR, the battery isn't charging properly when the bike is running.

If you are competent with a multi-meter, you can check the charge rate going into the battery, AND check for circuit leaks. If not, you really need to go to a dealer or independent workshop.

#3 ·
Thanx Nigelrb

I have installed a switch for the fan and double headlights instead of the original single headlight and connected it like an auto electrician told me to connect it. That uses quite a bit of power but still above 12V when shes idling. I need to know how to check for whats draining the battery when shes parked.

#6 ·
Hi Guys/Ladies

So i decided to stop trying to find the fault on my bike and rather take my bike to a mechanic. This guy is very well known and has a very good reputation, little bit more expensive than other guys but when you get your bike back you know it is done decently. Apart from something thats draining the battery, when i wait at a traffic light there's this sort off a thumping sound i hear every now and then, the revs drop and sometimes so much that my bike dies. When i put my hands on my fuel tank it feels as if someone taps the tank from the bottom every time the thump noise happens. A few months ago i took my bike to this mechanic, his wife worked at 1 of our branches for a while so i figured lets give him a try cause one day when i was riding, coming off the freeway all of a sudden a heard this ruff grinding noise. switched my bike off and luckily i was close to my house and freed all the way to my house. Took my bike to this dude to have the flywheel removed, he calls me to come through telling me that i bent a valve and that my starter clutch that a other mechanic did for me with some other things which cost me R 17 000-00 at the end of the day, wasnt a new starter clutch. R 6000-00 that ****er charged me for a supposedly new starter clutch. so i told this dude he must fix my bike as it is already by him. R 14 500-00 I went to fetch my bike and half way home my buddy had to tow me home. Got home and scanned my bike only to find out that the throttle sensor unit wasnt plugged in, some other plug were also hanging there and he fitted the wrong spark plugs. Right, this mechanis my bike is at now tells me that there was like no valve clearance and the valve mushroomed. The same valve the previous idiot apparently replaced plus the cam chains were never replaced which led to the cam timimg being out cause the cam chain was streched, i got billed for new cam chains though. So this operation is costing me R 12 090-00. So here is my thing...dont these mechanics have pride in their work, dont they think that one might find out later on that parts they paid for was never fitted etc or maybe they just see me as an easy target cause in a period of almost 2 years I had to cough out R 43 590-00, R 31 500-00 for stuff that wasnt even done on my bike for **** sakes.

I cant find the invoice of R 14 500-00 from the previous mechanic cause i wanted to show him that what he invoiced me, that the same work has to be done again on my bike and that he never replaced the parts plus this mechanic is charging me R2410-00 less.

How can i go about into getting my money back from the idiot mechanic? im not a violent person but giving him a good beating seems like the thing which will make me feel better lol

#7 ·
I'd say no chance because you seem to have had the bike for a while since it left his workshop. It could easily be said that the bike's problems happened much later and not as a result of his work.

Further, you are in a real difficult situation by not having the service documents and/or receipts. Sorry to offer a bad opinion.

#8 ·
The above problem is either stator, regulator/rectifier or both. Bike's system doesn't charge the battery, and while riding it gets worse until the battery goes flat and needs to be binned.

Hi Guys/Ladies

So i decided to stop trying to find the fault on my bike and rather take my bike to a mechanic. This guy is very well known and has a very good reputation, little bit more expensive than other guys but when you get your bike back you know it is done decently. Apart from something that's draining the battery, when i wait at a traffic light there's this sort off a thumping sound i hear every now and then, the revs drop and sometimes so much that my bike dies. When i put my hands on my fuel tank it feels as if someone taps the tank from the bottom every time the thump noise happens. A few months ago i took my bike to this mechanic, his wife worked at 1 of our branches for a while so i figured lets give him a try cause one day when i was riding, coming off the freeway all of a sudden a heard this ruff grinding noise. switched my bike off and luckily i was close to my house and freed all the way to my house. Took my bike to this dude to have the flywheel removed, he calls me to come through telling me that i bent a valve and that my starter clutch that a other mechanic did for me with some other things which cost me R 17 000-00 at the end of the day, wasn't a new starter clutch. R 6000-00 that ****er charged me for a supposedly new starter clutch. so i told this dude he must fix my bike as it is already by him. R 14 500-00 I went to fetch my bike and half way home my buddy had to tow me home. Got home and scanned my bike only to find out that the throttle sensor unit wasnt plugged in, some other plug were also hanging there and he fitted the wrong spark plugs. Right, this mechanis my bike is at now tells me that there was like no valve clearance and the valve mushroomed. The same valve the previous idiot apparently replaced plus the cam chains were never replaced which led to the cam timimg being out cause the cam chain was streched, i got billed for new cam chains though. So this operation is costing me R 12 090-00. So here is my thing...dont these mechanics have pride in their work, dont they think that one might find out later on that parts they paid for was never fitted etc or maybe they just see me as an easy target cause in a period of almost 2 years I had to cough out R 43 590-00, R 31 500-00 for stuff that wasnt even done on my bike for **** sakes.

I cant find the invoice of R 14 500-00 from the previous mechanic cause i wanted to show him that what he invoiced me, that the same work has to be done again on my bike and that he never replaced the parts plus this mechanic is charging me R2410-00 less.

How can i go about into getting my money back from the idiot mechanic? im not a violent person but giving him a good beating seems like the thing which will make me feel better lol

All this points to you getting shafted. It's unfortunate, but in today's world the trustworthy, dedicated, enthusiast mechanics are LONG GONE. Shops are forced to hire newer, low level rookies who don't know an ignition rotor from a brake rotor. It's the very sad truth.

Most of the time, and with typical tools and a manual, the rider can diagnose and repair issues that arise during ownership, and can often save time and money by doing so. There was a time back in the late 80's early 90's where the sport-bike rider had a motto. Never let anyone else touch or ride your bike. It was just about written in stone that a mechanic is there to make the shop money, up-sell parts and labor, and not give a rats ass if your fairings get scratched, cracked or use the wrong hardware to put them back on. I learned that at an early age in motorcycling. I decided never to bring my bike to a shop, always investigate and try my own repairs, and surround myself with people that did and felt the same. Thankfully for me it worked.

I know this is all after the fact, but it's still relevant and I urge you to try and do the same.

You wont get anything back from the shop unless you go there and plead your case. It's a civil issue, so if they say beat it and go pound sand, it will cost you even more to get even less from them in a lawsuit. A VTR1000 is just as simple as a 900RR, with 2 less cylinders. I think the thumping you heard was common as the bike looses its idle down to stalling, and blowing a valve seems ridiculous to me unless you ran it out of oil during a last lap effort to not let Marquez pass you for the win on a track day. They can get out of spec, but nothing like you were describing. What was the history of the bike and how many km's were on it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.