Lihgt knocking noise????eant some opinions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda SuperHawk Discussion of the Honda VTR1000 Motorcycle.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-06-2009, 8:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Lihgt knocking noise????eant some opinions

i recently bought a 98 superhawk with 30k on it and i believe the noise is the cylinder rocking in the bore? not sure tho here is a vid of the bike maybe you can hear it i listened to a couple other ones on you tuber and i found a couple others that had the same type of noise here is the vid YouTube - 100 4944 let me know what you guys think thanks cory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-06-2009, 10:56 AM

Re: Lihgt knocking noise????eant some opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet954RR View Post
i recently bought a 98 superhawk with 30k on it and i believe the noise is the cylinder rocking in the bore? not sure tho here is a vid of the bike maybe you can hear it i listened to a couple other ones on you tuber and i found a couple others that had the same type of noise here is the vid YouTube - 100 4944 let me know what you guys think thanks cory
when i took my hawk in to get my carbs rebuilt, jetted, and sync. the tech pointed out the same noise. its not as loud but i didnt notice it this being my first four stroke. they told me its a rod knock coming from the rear cylinder after they charged me for the carb work. my bike has about 32k on it maybe its just normal for these V-twins to crap out around 30k. i dont know which cylinder your having problems with sounded like the front but if its the rear maybe there is some kind of factor defect that hasent been addressed yet that pops up around set mileage
post #3 of 14 Old 03-06-2009, 11:13 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Send a message via MSN to Jetpilot07

if your running 87 octane in it, try running a little higher if this is happening while rideing, if it always does it, the it's gonna either be piston slap against the cylinder wall or a worn wrist pin.

DO YOUR DUTY IN ALL THINGS, YOU CANNOT DO MORE, YOU SHOULD NEVER WISH TO DO LESS!

GENERAL ROBERT E. LEE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-06-2009, 1:54 PM Thread Starter

it does it all the time and its comming from both cylinders but i dont feel anything when you put your hand on the motor anywhere....and it seems to run fine doesnt seem down on power but i guess i wouldnt know what they were like if this one is down on power since i never rhode one before hopefully its the piston slap or the wristpin i just bought the damn thing yest
post #5 of 14 Old 03-06-2009, 4:23 PM

change the oil in it, make sure to use 10w-40...see if that quites it down some.

DO YOUR DUTY IN ALL THINGS, YOU CANNOT DO MORE, YOU SHOULD NEVER WISH TO DO LESS!

GENERAL ROBERT E. LEE
post #6 of 14 Old 03-07-2009, 9:02 PM Thread Starter

well the opil was clean i rhode it about 15 miles and the oil looked silver so i pulled the drain plug and sure enough it was silver...im afraid she needs to be rebuilt does anyone know where i can get a rebuild kit for this thing?
post #7 of 14 Old 03-08-2009, 2:26 PM

go to cheapcycleparts.com you can purchase oem components from them....

GENERAL ROBERT E. LEE
post #8 of 14 Old 03-19-2009, 11:35 AM

Reputation Power: 12

I'd suggest changing the OEM CCTs to solve your problem:

Who wants CCT's - SuperHawk Forum

You should get many more miles outta that motor w/o major rebuild!

The OEM CCTs are known to fail, so manual CCTs are the way to go and that should stop the noise you're hearing cuz it's probably cam chain slap from them being too loose...RC
post #9 of 14 Old 03-21-2009, 7:47 AM

I agree with the above...i used to have a superhawk(called : Firestorm in the uk ).....CCT's are a weakness on these bikes and if they havent been changed by 20K change em or they will lunch your engine at some point....APE manual tensioners are the best available....or have your original ones converted with a coach bolt and locking nut.

Some of these bikes go for ages without the prob....but its not worth the aggro waiting for it to happen IMO....just change em dude

John'o
post #10 of 14 Old 02-14-2011, 10:08 AM

I'm going to vote CCT's also!
post #11 of 14 Old 03-15-2011, 3:31 PM

Reputation Power: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBlink View Post
I'm going to vote CCT's also!

hi,guys my cbr 400 nc 23 is doing the same could it also be the ccts?bye the way what are ccts?sorry

did u get it fixed in the end please let me no.cheers
post #12 of 14 Old 03-15-2011, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
hi,guys my cbr 400 nc 23 is doing the same could it also be the ccts?bye the way what are ccts?sorry

did u get it fixed in the end please let me no.cheers
I HAVE FIXED IT!!!

This engine rattle is actually the starter clutch. Here's a step by step guide on how to fix it:

1) Remove fairings and drain oil
2) Remove left hand engine casing as you sit on the bike (small kidney shaped one), If you're careful when separating the casing from the engine you may save the gasket, if not a tube of loctite silicone blue has always provided a good seal for me
3) As you look at the gear arrangement, the left hand side as you look at it has a 14mm bolt with an odd looking cog sitting underneath the bolt; this is the area you need to work on.
4) Undo the 14mm bolt, it's probably fekin tight so here's a few options on undoing it (assuming you don't have an air gun available)
a) Put bike in 1st gear and sit on the bike with the rear brake jammed on tight
b) remove right hand engine casing and hold rotor bolt (steel dish to the right) , also 14mm and the same torque setting (If you go this route then make sure that when reinstalling both the stator and starter clutch bolts are done up tight as one can undo the other. Both should be at 85nm from memory but do check)
5) Slide off weird cog (actually the timing gear, it's a splined shaft so can only go back on in one position)
6) Remove starter clutch. The following link shows a diagram of the starter clutch arrangement:

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cbr400rrk-nc ... t/E07.html

you will see that the guts of the starter clutch are riveted together and as a result the clutch itself cannot be dismantled, however if you remove the spur gear and roller bearing from the back of the starter clutch and then push the clutch housing from the inside hub you will probably see the rivets protrude slightly when viewing the clutch from the front (mine had no more that 1.5mm of play and the noise from the engine on tick over was very loud) it is this slack causing the knocking/ ticking noise. 2 options on how to fix it:

a) Ring Graeme France and get a replacement 07778 628448. 30 delivered to your door
b) Take your rattling starter clutch to a welder. Push the inner hub so you can see the slack in the rivets and then spot weld the head of all 3 rivets. Ground off excess metal so it's nice and level. (I went this route; it cost me nothing and so far has done the trick.) Check for play once it's cooled down.

7) Re-install starter clutch making sure all gears line up and slide on timing gear (it will only go on in 1 position), do up 14 mm bolt to specified torque

8) Replace engine casing making sure dowels are in place. If the old gasket is in 1 piece then run a smear of silicone blue (available from Halfords) along the gasket before installing and then leave to dry for 12 hours, Otherwise Graeme France will supply a new one in which case no sealant required.

9) Fill the bike up with clean oil (do the filter whilst you're at it) - DON'T FORGET THE SUMP PLUG FIRST! (I've seen a mate poor 5 litres of 40 oil on the floor via the engine's filler cap! - tit.)

10) Fire it up and marvel at the genius that is Honda's NC23 engine, without rattle!

11) Replace fairing - GO PLAY!

Any queries then do let me know.

Cheers,
post #13 of 14 Old 07-14-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet954RR View Post

Hi! I just joined. My bike starting making the exact same sound after I had to take the clutch out to install a Factory Pro shift kit. I took everything apart and double-checked everything-still makes that knocking noise.

Did you find out what it was on your bike?
post #14 of 14 Old 07-15-2011, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_force View Post
Hi! I just joined. My bike starting making the exact same sound after I had to take the clutch out to install a Factory Pro shift kit. I took everything apart and double-checked everything-still makes that knocking noise.

Did you find out what it was on your bike?
sound s like the clutch to me,mine was the starter clutch.and sounded a lot worse than that.im not sure if my video is still on here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda SuperHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page