1993 CBR900rr Cranking No Start - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Introductions New here? Introduce yourself!

User Tag List

6Likes
  • 1 Post By jamieclark22191
  • 2 Post By IanDoohan
  • 3 Post By jamieclark22191

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 2:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

1993 CBR900rr Cranking No Start

Hello I'm not sure if is the right place to be posting this or not, but hopefully you guys can still help. I bought this 93 cbr900rr a few days ago without a tank or seat. Tried starting with starting fluid but got nothing. I have power to both coils but only one is getting the pulsing ground from the cdi. im assuming that since its firing one of the coils that its got to be a bad cdi or wire from there to the non functioning coil. but im not a motorcycle mechanic.. thats why im here. I haven't had a chance to check continuity from the coil to the ignition control unit but will in the next few days. Can someone point me in the right direction if im off track?? i found a 96-98 service manual, is that usable for this 1993? also found a universal electric fuel pump lying underneath the bike. Did these bikes come with an electric pump? Appreciate any help
IanDoohan likes this.

Last edited by jamieclark22191; 05-14-2019 at 2:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 3:40 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Garage
Re: 1993 CBR900rr Cranking No Start

Hello and welcome to the forum Jamie, yes would suspect the coil or the wire leading to it, slight differences between the two, Throttle Position Sensor being one, search the net for the proper one , but here's some fair usage info,
Attached Thumbnails
CBR900 93-94.JPG‎   CBR900 95-98.JPG‎  

Last edited by MrPickwick; 05-14-2019 at 4:12 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 3:17 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 100

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieclark22191 View Post
Hello I'm not sure if is the right place to be posting this or not, but hopefully you guys can still help. I bought this 93 cbr900rr a few days ago without a tank or seat. Tried starting with starting fluid but got nothing. I have power to both coils but only one is getting the pulsing ground from the cdi. im assuming that since its firing one of the coils that its got to be a bad cdi or wire from there to the non functioning coil. but im not a motorcycle mechanic.. thats why im here. I haven't had a chance to check continuity from the coil to the ignition control unit but will in the next few days. Can someone point me in the right direction if im off track?? i found a 96-98 service manual, is that usable for this 1993? also found a universal electric fuel pump lying underneath the bike. Did these bikes come with an electric pump? Appreciate any help
When you tested spark for each cylinder by grounding the spark plug and firing the start button which ones fired and which ones didn't? These ignition systems are modern, but very simple in design. It's tough to tell be testing continuity and resistance in components, versus real word test as testing spark at each spark plug. Coils can be had on eBay regularly. But, I'll say that older CDI's ICM's or ECU (depending on what you want to call it) failures are VERY rare. Do you have any pics of what you're dealing with? I would love to see them. I was able to (fairly easily BTW) add coil on cap (coil sticks) on my 99 track 900 with eBay parts for under $100. I felt it would eliminate any future "old coil" failures.

And yes, the 93 originally had an OEM fuel pump, but it was a non pressure producing pump, it only helped the fuel along, pulsating in cadence with the ignition, so it only works when the engine is running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPickwick View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum Jamie, yes would suspect the coil or the wire leading to it, slight differences between the two, Throttle Position Sensor being one, search the net for the proper one , but here's some fair usage info,
Right on Bill, the ignition systems save for the rogue pink wire and TPS, is the same and should test with near identical procedures and similar results.

Note there are also STICKY wire diagrams for all 900 models here:

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/ho...-diagrams.html

Keep us up to date on this, I love to verify and report current information about older coil failures and/or CDI failures. I still have yet to see them become common failures even 26 years later.
Gunk and MrPickwick like this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Last edited by IanDoohan; 05-14-2019 at 3:21 PM. Reason: added pump info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 5:18 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the diagram i didn't have that one

CBR900rr was bought for a go cart engine.. but now i just dont know
post #5 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 7:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. I had spark at cylinder #2 and #3 . i checked continuity and found a break in the yellow with blue wire. I ran a new wire and now have spark at all 4 wires. tried starting with starting fluid still get nothing not even a pop. I still havent pulled the plugs yet i was just checking at the plug wire, so ill do that next and report back.
IanDoohan, MrPickwick and nigelrb like this.

CBR900rr was bought for a go cart engine.. but now i just dont know
post #6 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 5:34 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Garage

Have you tried rigging up a proper auxiliary fuel tank rather than just starting fluid.

1993 CBR900 RR P
2013 Triumph 675 Street Triple
1994 CBR900 RR R Urban Tiger Project (now sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Site Related > Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page