Canada - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Introductions New here? Introduce yourself!

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By nigelrb
  • 2 Post By Hyperhad

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 1:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Canada

Hello everyone. Glad to be on the site. Looking forward to the expertise and advice to be found here.

I am looking at a 2004 Repsol 1000rr this week. The owner is an Aircraft Engineer who also does some work for our local bike shop. He has changed all fluids, air filters, chain, sprockets, adjusted valves, rear fender delete, Flush-mount turn signals, new tires. He has completely gone over the bike and it is ready to go. The bike has 3.600km's, and he says it is a genuine Repsol.

I have been searching for 2004's, and cannot find any, except for some in Australia. The Repsol site only goes down to 2005's. Are '04's particularly difficult to find?

Is there a specific VIN section that indicates a Repsol? I realize that the CBR1000rr and the Repsol edition only differ in bodywork. Just want to be sure of what I am buying.

I hope to buy the bike, so I will be an active member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 2:58 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Re: Canada

Hi there hyper.

It is indeed very difficult to find a definitive answer as to whether 04 or 05 was the release of the first Repsol. I always believed it to be 2005, BUT, different markets get different release dates. The 10th digit of the VIN will denote the year of manufacture. As I have a 2004 white/red/blue, I can assure you that digit will be a '4' for 2004 and '5' for 2005.

If the seller is not the original owner, you perhaps cannot be assured of originality. Further, a 3,600 kilometre bike is EXTRAORDINARILY low, so on that basis I would expect full history to be available.

The best tell-tale sign will be the stamping of the fairings. If it was an 'ordinary' bike, it could have been dressed with Chinese fairings. These are thinner and more brittle than OEM an perhaps difficult for the average (with respect) person to pick. The OEM will have Honda stamping on their inside with a part number commencing with 'MFL'. However, a seller is hardly going to allow you to remove the fairings.

Under the pillion seat should be the colour codeB 123. Also, if it has a rear seat cowl instead of pillion seat, check if that has a Honda part number beneath it.
Gunk likes this.

2018 CBR1000RR SP2 / 2011 CBR1000RR / 2004 CBR1000RR / 2003 CBR954RR / 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R
2007 MV F4 1000R
post #3 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 5:03 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Garage

You can tell the difference between OEM and Chinese fairly easily, the Chinese fairings as Nigel says are thin, brittle and the edges can feel rough and sharp, the Chinese also often use air brushing instead of logos, so look for rough masking marks and poor paint finish. The OEM Panels will be sharp, super smooth and will fit perfectly with no rough edges. The paint will be flawless.

The Chinese fairings are getting better but are still way behind the real thing.

1993 CBR900 RR P
1994 CBR900 RR R Urban Tiger Project (now sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 5:44 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Nigel and Gunk. That is good information. I'll be taking a good look-over of the bike. So the writing and stripes are painted on, not stick-on decals?

I found this on a Honda website. It seems to indicate that 2004 was the first year, in Japan at least, as a special edition:

https://global.honda/newsroom/news/2...000rr-eng.html

At this point, I just want to be sure of what I am looking at. I'll be checking the VIN for the 10th digit, and the quality of the paint.

Great info both of you. I'll let you know how things go, and post some pix.

Thanks!
Gunk and nigelrb like this.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 8:18 PM Thread Starter

So the fairings should be similar to those on my Wife's ninja? They are pretty thick. If the Repsol has Chinese fairings, will they feel substantially thinner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
You can tell the difference between OEM and Chinese fairly easily, the Chinese fairings as Nigel says are thin, brittle and the edges can feel rough and sharp, the Chinese also often use air brushing instead of logos, so look for rough masking marks and poor paint finish. The OEM Panels will be sharp, super smooth and will fit perfectly with no rough edges. The paint will be flawless.

The Chinese fairings are getting better but are still way behind the real thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
Hi there hyper.

It is indeed very difficult to find a definitive answer as to whether 04 or 05 was the release of the first Repsol. I always believed it to be 2005, BUT, different markets get different release dates. The 10th digit of the VIN will denote the year of manufacture. As I have a 2004 white/red/blue, I can assure you that digit will be a '4' for 2004 and '5' for 2005.

If the seller is not the original owner, you perhaps cannot be assured of originality. Further, a 3,600 kilometre bike is EXTRAORDINARILY low, so on that basis I would expect full history to be available.

The best tell-tale sign will be the stamping of the fairings. If it was an 'ordinary' bike, it could have been dressed with Chinese fairings. These are thinner and more brittle than OEM an perhaps difficult for the average (with respect) person to pick. The OEM will have Honda stamping on their inside with a part number commencing with 'MFL'. However, a seller is hardly going to allow you to remove the fairings.

Under the pillion seat should be the colour codeB 123. Also, if it has a rear seat cowl instead of pillion seat, check if that has a Honda part number beneath it.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-09-2019, 11:47 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperhad View Post
So the fairings should be similar to those on my Wife's ninja? They are pretty thick. If the Repsol has Chinese fairings, will they feel substantially thinner?
Yes, but thinner than Honda OEM rather than Kawasaki's.

2018 CBR1000RR SP2 / 2011 CBR1000RR / 2004 CBR1000RR / 2003 CBR954RR / 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R
2007 MV F4 1000R
post #7 of 7 Old 07-10-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Nigel!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Site Related > Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page