New"B" - soakin up all the info I can - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Introductions New here? Introduce yourself!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-28-2007, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

New"B" - soakin up all the info I can

Hey everyone - I'm finally a member of the motorcycle community since the wife gave me a go ahead to get one. I've waited 6 years an now have exactly what I've wanted. I got what I think is a good deal on a '03 cbr954RR. The guy I bought it from did all the upgrades. He said he mostly road it on the track, which is probably why it so so clean and only has 8k miles on it. Below is a list of the upgrades. Right now I have both lower fairings off because I'm investigating a top end tick that just showed up in the past 20 miles of riding. I put about 300 miles on it total in the past month. (like I said, i'm new and taking it very easy). It sounded really smooth when I first started riding, but now there is a pretty prevelent ticking sound. I'm gonna put some high grade oil in it (AMSOIL 10W-40) and see if that helps. I've been running 93 octane. I tried one tank of 87 and the sound started after that so I went back to 93 but it's not getting better. Looking forward to chatting with you all.

2003 954RR Titanium Grey/Black, Devil high mount 3/4 exhaust, Galfer stainless steel brake lines frnt/back, arrow turn signals in rear, Lockhart Phillips turn signals in front (not shown in photo), Ohlins steering damper, Dunlop 208 GP in front and rear.

Last edited by jesse954; 11-08-2007 at 5:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-28-2007, 12:50 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Re: New"B" - soakin up all the info I can

Welcome to da site, and nice bike. Ti is the faster color BTW.

You may want to check the CCT Cam chain tensioner. From your description that may be a possibility.

It's amazing how stupid some people can be.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-31-2007, 8:37 PM

Reputation Power: 0

what's up fellow jesse 954 also titanium. i also have the slight tick i noticed shortly after buying the bike. took it to several mechanics and bike people and the local honda shop. it's so slight that i have to make people listen close to hear it. only reply i get around here is that hondas just make a little bit of valvetrain noise compared to some others. maybe we should look into that cct tensioner though. ive put 8,000 miles on mine since april (friday) 13th. bought it with 5,500 mi now has 13,200 noise has not gotten any worse. bike runs stronger yet with every oil change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-31-2007, 8:44 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Very nice ride and welcome to the fireblades community. Soak away
post #5 of 12 Old 10-31-2007, 8:56 PM

but you say "prevalent" noise which i guess means more than just slight. mine only becomes a little more noticeable when the oil starts getting dirty. which seems to be at 1500-2000 miles. my clutch also starts feeling funny when oil gets dirty. THEY LIKE FRESH OIL. and the dinky filter almost looks like a joke to me.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-04-2007, 9:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse954 View Post
but you say "prevalent" noise which i guess means more than just slight.
Put it this way...I started my bike up after a 4 day break from riding it everday, and my wife said she noticed it sounded different. I'm not putting my wife down at all, it's just she's not exactly mechanically inclined. But we both noticed it. The oil was not all that old when I changed it. I think the guy I bought from was using regular Mobil 1 0W-50, which I know regular auto oil shouldn't be used. Of course I'm just guessing. But now, after using top notch Amsoil full syn 10W-30, it runs like a dream. Also could be cause it's fresh, so we'll see after a few hundred miles. BTW, mine has about 8,200 miles on it, I don't think I mentioned that before. Stay safe....
post #7 of 12 Old 11-07-2007, 3:26 AM

ive met a quite a few people who run mobil 1 in their bikes and think that its ok. a couple close friends of mine with gsxrs. but i think to myself how do you know that mobil 1 is ok until something happens. especially when it's not recommended by the manufacturers of your wonderful race machines. maybe your cutting the life of a 50,000 mile bike to 25,000. so your screwing somebody over way down the road (maybe). they both just say they've never had a problem with it and i just want to scream back at them "YET!!! you havent had a problem YET!!!!"
post #8 of 12 Old 11-07-2007, 3:05 PM Thread Starter

I haven't read the Mobil 1 bottle to see if it has those "friction reducers" that are supposed to be bad for wet clutch transmissions. If other people are happy with it then they are happy. All I know is that the Amsoil I use is made for motorcycles specifically and my bike is running great so far.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-07-2007, 5:26 PM

exactly. i guess i feel a little more strongly about it. but why stray so far away from what the bike manual suggests. which includes amsoil i think. or maybe its bel ray. but just to save a buck or 2 per quart? then are you going across town to the dealership to get a filter anyways?
post #10 of 12 Old 11-07-2007, 5:27 PM

or do people just skip that part sometimes
post #11 of 12 Old 11-07-2007, 6:25 PM

welcome from a very wet isle of man
post #12 of 12 Old 11-09-2007, 1:58 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 110

to the new Jessie954 ti

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Site Related > Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page