Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Whats the oldest year CBR 600 worth buying?

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  nigelrb 
#1 ·
What is the oldest year/model I should consider to buy as a used motorcycle? I am looking to move up from a CBR300 to a 600

I def want fuel injection and am looking for something under $4000 and something I can put at least 30k miles on before it breaks down.

Will use as a city and highway commuter in a large city

#4 ·
Will I have to worry less about theft with an CBR600F4i ?

Do you think since its older that the thieves will leave it alone?

Are the thieves even sophisticated enough to know the difference between different generations of the CBR 600 and the demand for the used parts?

#8 ·
I’m wondering if the OP has purchased yet or if he’s kicked enough tires. I have an F4i and would be hard pressed to part with it. I used to want an F3 but again wouldn’t recommend anything older than the F4i. A 2002 model year is ideal. If going with a 600RR I’d stay with a 2004 or newer (with USD forks). IIRC they got revamped in 2008. Even at 11 years old, you could score one within your budget. Whatever you get, be prepared to spend some time and/or money going thru it on initial maintenance. I feel comfy enough now to buy any used bike- I think I’m hard to surprise and I have only regretted one motorcycle purchase- because I was time pressed for Minimoto race season last year.

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
As I use the 600 pictured as my daily commuter I would agree with pretty much everything said, but do be cautioned they are not the easiest thing to work on. Down right awkward would be a more fitting description. Plug change = pain in the arse. Removing fairings = pain in the arse. Cam sensors needs changing = major pain in the arse. I'm sure you get the idea.

#13 ·
As I use the 600 pictured as my daily commuter I would agree with pretty much everything said, but do be cautioned they are not the easiest thing to work on. . .
We hear of this about so many bikes now.

Is there a bike that actually IS easy to work on?

When I think back to the 70s, EVERYTHING was easy.

Remove the tank? Pull the fuel line, slip off a rubber band beneath the seat which actually lifts up, and pull the tank back from 2 rubbers on the headstock.

Change the plugs? You could just about fit a shifter into the plug space.:smile

Fairings? Bah!!

We have paid one price of progress I guess. Everything is compressed and compact, but when we're riding these things, who gives a frig!!:grin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.