Computer geek/email marketing question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-24-2004, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 34

Send a message via AIM to Heavy-Dee
Computer geek/email marketing question

All,

I'm working on this thing for work, where I would like to include a link in the body of an email. Some of you may be able to give me some advice, and it would be much appreciated.

Here are some issues that I need to consider:

1. I want a clickable link in a non-html (text) email ALWAYS. Some email clients display the link as text and the user is forced to copy/paste the URL. That sucks.

2. I need to know how many of these emails are opened (please keep the Big Brother comments to yourself as I just don't care b/c I'm not tracking what the user is doing, just how effective the email is).

3. I can use HTML emails, however not everyone allows this on their email client. Therefore, typically how do marketers decided if they send either text or HTML emails, or do they send both? How does the email client know which to display?

THanks for the input.

HD

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
Suomy Helmets | RK Chain | PowerStands | LeoVince
SponsorHouse

Last edited by Heavy-Dee; 02-24-2004 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-24-2004, 11:10 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Re: Computer geek/email marketing question

Hey HD,

A clickable link is a function of HTML so text e-mails will never be able to be "clickable". However, if this is for internal e-mail only and you use a system like Lotus Notes, then you can use other types of clickable links. If it is for the Internet however, this is not possible.

Again, enforcing that clients respond is a function of the e-mail client. After all, if spam gets sent to my home, I have it configured to not respond. You *could* try return receipts but many clients won't process these so there is no guarantee that there is a response.

As for HTML e-mails, the marketer must decide which to send out. If they have no pre-knowledge of the client, they use their best judgement of their target market - i.e. if you are marketing to geeks like me, you'll not include HTML but if you are marketing to the teenage generation, most like their HTML. Today's e-mail clients normally have a configuration value that lets you decide if you want to view HTML or text... I would think that most default to HTML but that's really up to the user.

Jordan H.
The three most feared words in racing, "Powered by Honda".
post #3 of 7 Old 02-24-2004, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Nomad. Many email clients (outlook for one) will recognize a link in a text email and turn it into a link. Not all do this, and some do it using different rules than others.

As for how to know if the mail is opened, HTML works pretty well, b/c you can track how many times an image is downloaded. This is often done w/ an invisible image often 1 pixel by 1 pixel, and is known as "pixel tracking". You can find out cool things like the IP address of who downloaded the image, the browser they are using, and the date and time of the request. Marketer's usually translate this into a "read" email, and if the user then comes back to the site (or whatever) then it is considered a success. etc etc.

I have heard that some email clients if you send the both text and HTML versions of an email, are smart enough to know when they are given two versions of the same mail, and display the one that the user has either specified that they prefered, and/or that the email client has the capability to display. To the user, they have only received one email when in reality they have been sent two.

I guess I'm looking for someone to elaborate on what I already know, and let me know of any experiences they may have had w/ similar projects.

HD

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
SponsorHouse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-24-2004, 11:32 AM

HD, you are correct that some clients do turn text links into clickable links. However, you, as the sender, have no power over this. So, if you are sending true text e-mails, you cannot force a link to be clickable. You wanted this link to be clickable "ALWAYS" which is never going to be the case even if some clients, like Outlook, make assumptions for you.

You are also correct that you can use HTML to track user's habits. However, we're talking HTML here but you specified non-HTML e-mails were being sent?

As for sending two e-mails... that's new to me. I haven't heard of that feature and will definitely look up some details. Which clients do this?

J.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-24-2004, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad
As for sending two e-mails... that's new to me. I haven't heard of that feature and will definitely look up some details. Which clients do this?

I don't really know. That's part of what I'm looking for. I heard this "rumor" and am looking for something to back it up. I haven't found anything, and am thinking it doesn't exist.

HD

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
SponsorHouse
post #6 of 7 Old 02-24-2004, 12:17 PM

Ok. Let me know if you find anything.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-24-2004, 2:03 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to glory452

is this kinda what u want to do?
http://www.e-shot.biz/html_v_text.asp

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page