Car thread NEW or OLD ;-) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 10-15-2012, 5:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 231

Car thread NEW or OLD ;-)

Not sure if anyone has started a car thread in the past or not, so here goes !

This is a thread for discussion of car/s you are going to buy whether they be NEW or OLD. I shall get the ball rolling

I am thinking of buying a 20 year old car as it is a cheap purchase, but not so cheap to run....I JUST WANT ONE !!!!

It's a 1992 BMW 325i e36 4dr Saloon manual shift. She has the odd little patch of rust starting to show through, NO Coolant System problems which I know are one of the main probs with this car.

The block simply sings after doing 135,000 miles ! Yes I know that's not really a lot on a V6 block. Clean and tidy throughout the whole of the car, the engine and engine bay were spotless for her age and no visible sign of leaks.

Fuel economy will be 21-30 MPG, but I can live with that as I will only be doing around 6 miles a day

SO WHAT YOU THINK AT 1,000 ? To BUY or NOT to buy

the missus is against it which means I want it even more

Do, or do not, there is no try !
The mind is a funny thing

Jazzy's Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 10-15-2012, 5:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 196

Re: Car thread NEW or OLD ;-)

I like a car old enough that I can work on it without have to plug it into a computer to tell me what's wrong with the damned thing !

It wasn't me, honest !
post #3 of 43 Old 10-15-2012, 5:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 55

I don't know man. At least here in the states, the older BMWs are expensive to fix/maintain. To the point that a certified used one with the maintenance warranty is close to the same cost over 4-5 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 10-15-2012, 5:48 PM

Reputation Power: 196

I'm a firm believer in banganomics ! Buy cheap and run it into the ground
jazzy likes this.

It wasn't me, honest !
post #5 of 43 Old 10-15-2012, 6:22 PM

Reputation Power: 113

BMW's aren't as expensive to maintain as long as you can do a bit of work yourself. Parts are usually pretty easy and cheap to find - it's the stealerships that rape you stupid.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #6 of 43 Old 10-15-2012, 6:37 PM

Reputation Power: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
BMW's aren't as expensive to maintain as long as you can do a bit of work yourself. Parts are usually pretty easy and cheap to find - it's the stealerships that rape you stupid.
I hate working on cars (strangely, since I love working on my bike), but have a few mechanic friends that work on my stuff for cheap. OEM parts weren't terribly affordable or easy to find on my friend's early 90s bimmer
post #7 of 43 Old 10-15-2012, 7:30 PM

Reputation Power: 59

Jazzy, that car is going to be an Inline 6. Bmw only used The V setup for their 8/10/12

If you could find an E30 car.. I would say go that route, they are so much nicer in my opinion. Spend a lot of time around bmws. I have an E31 sitting in my garage right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52brandon View Post
I don't know man. At least here in the states, the older BMWs are expensive to fix/maintain. To the point that a certified used one with the maintenance warranty is close to the same cost over 4-5 years

If you do the work yourself, like said, it is not that bad to maintain them. Especially the 3 series cars, they made a lot of them so parts are not to expensive.

James Taylor
post #8 of 43 Old 10-15-2012, 8:26 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Should be an INLINE 6? Yess?
post #9 of 43 Old 10-16-2012, 7:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm a firm believer in banganomics ! Buy cheap and run it into the ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazed View Post
Jazzy, that car is going to be an Inline 6. Bmw only used The V setup for their 8/10/12

If you could find an E30 car.. I would say go that route, they are so much nicer in my opinion. Spend a lot of time around bmws. I have an E31 sitting in my garage right now.

YES !!! I know it's an inline 6 ! BUT, back in the day we used to call them a v6, don't ask me why as I was a lickle boy

But yes, as I have done some research the spares seem to be quite inexpensive

BUT the downside is the fuel consumption

If you do the work yourself, like said, it is not that bad to maintain them. Especially the 3 series cars, they made a lot of them so parts are not to expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eu4ic1000 View Post
Should be an INLINE 6? Yess?

Jazzy's Blog
post #10 of 43 Old 10-16-2012, 10:14 PM

Reputation Power: 59

The fuel consumption should not be to bad, if you drive it normally it should get just fine fuel milage.

Better then say... 12l/100km on the highway like my E31 gets haha.

James Taylor
post #11 of 43 Old 10-16-2012, 11:26 PM

Reputation Power: 24

My 2.0L ford focus gets 32mpg at best. Get the bimmer, it's not an issue when it comes to the satisfaction of driving what you drive.
post #12 of 43 Old 10-17-2012, 5:31 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
Not sure if anyone has started a car thread in the past or not, so here goes !

This is a thread for discussion of car/s you are going to buy whether they be NEW or OLD. I shall get the ball rolling

I am thinking of buying a 20 year old car as it is a cheap purchase, but not so cheap to run....I JUST WANT ONE !!!!

It's a 1992 BMW 325i e36 4dr Saloon manual shift. She has the odd little patch of rust starting to show through, NO Coolant System problems which I know are one of the main probs with this car.

The block simply sings after doing 135,000 miles ! Yes I know that's not really a lot on a V6 block. Clean and tidy throughout the whole of the car, the engine and engine bay were spotless for her age and no visible sign of leaks.

Fuel economy will be 21-30 MPG, but I can live with that as I will only be doing around 6 miles a day

SO WHAT YOU THINK AT 1,000 ? To BUY or NOT to buy

the missus is against it which means I want it even more

I like cars from around the 20-year mark :-)
But I wouldn't recommend a BMW to anybody. I have an '86 E28 528i that's a beautiful car to drive, sit in and look at, but a pig to work on - and it needs working on a lot. The cooling system "problems" are designed into the bloody things. When you're used to working on Japanese stuff, European stuff is just very sad junk. Your description of the one you're looking at is basically how we ended up with this one - they "look" like they should be a terrific car, and perhaps they were for the first few years of their lives.

I've still got three Suzuki Swift five-door 1.3 litre hatchbacks ('90, '92 and '93) and am still regularly impressed with what they can do :-)
We've towed two bikes to Philip Island and back (820kg trailer, more than 9000kms) without a hiccup, I've towed 880kg of concrete pavers (plus the weight of the trailer), and have shifted my daughters belongings from house to house more times than I can count.
Two of us can sleep in the back, they cost next to nothing to run, can park just about anywhere, and pull 150kph in third :-)
A set of new tyres every 60,000kms costs less than a single rear motorcycle tyre and they get 13-14kpl around town.
We love our Swifts :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #13 of 43 Old 10-17-2012, 8:29 AM

Reputation Power: 290

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Well Jazzy what did you do?

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #14 of 43 Old 10-17-2012, 8:32 AM

Reputation Power: 290

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Come to think about Im looking for a cheap 4x4 just for the Winter (I like the Freelander, Rav4 or x-trail), your thoughts please

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #15 of 43 Old 10-18-2012, 6:56 PM Thread Starter

I made a post earlier, the one with all the quotes and I didn't say anything, but I did Don't know what happened, prob me pressing the wrong button in my old age

Well we had a look Monday evening, really liked the car, sounded awesome and was running just as well.

My 1st question was about the cooling system and he said "Yes I know the problems with earlier BMW's cooling system but this car is ok. You can leave it runnning all day and no problems at all. I have had this car for 3 years and it has mainly been driven around town".....That put my mind to rest as the temps are high here and in Arrecife the capitol it's always very hot !!!

Car was in great condition inside and the odd bit of rust on the outside, sadly, my missus wasn't that fussed and that put an end to that

It would have been costly on tyres and fuel would have been a bit of a nightmare as the govt has decided to start taxing the fuel out here heavily. So 1 litre is now upto 1.20 !!!!

So we'll keep looking for a car as much as I am still looking for a job AND still trying to sell the bike

Jazzy's Blog

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page