got sacked today :s - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 01-19-2013, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

got sacked today :s

got sacked at work today because i wouldnt stand outside work handing catolougues out in 3 inches of snow and that slush stuff also it was -2 degrees

any ideas on this as i refused to do it basically on the grounds it was freezing cold and below working conditions? am i wrong?

btw it was argos that sacked me

on two wheels.... sometimes one!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 PM

Reputation Power: 87

Re: got sacked today :s

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybladerich View Post
below working conditions? am i wrong?
I had to load a semi and plow off about a quarter of an acre in an open forklift the other day at -16C. But at my job I would rather be outside in sub zero weather than inside. Assuming 'sacked' means fired sometimes that can be a blessing in disguise. Good luck.
post #3 of 44 Old 01-19-2013, 1:03 PM Thread Starter

yeah "sacked means fired" i know what you mean but my job was in a high street shopping centre (a mall) and there was loads of places we could have gone to hand them out like inside the shopping center? surely we should of be aloud to do this instead of standing in -2?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 01-19-2013, 1:24 PM

Reputation Power: 87

Personally I would have told them to print out a sale poster or clearance add and told them I would go outside just to post it up. I hear ya, standing out there sounds kind of ridiculous. How many people are out there for one and who is going to stop to chat anyway? Is this something you do regularly, or did this just come up when it is freezing out? Tell them you weren't being defiant but you weren't expecting to stand out side and didn't bring your 'arctic expedition gear' and see how that goes.
post #5 of 44 Old 01-19-2013, 1:37 PM Thread Starter

It was a catolugue launch for the spring/ winter and i was the only one who bothered to say no everyone else just sorted huffed and puffed and juat got on with it and bit late to say something but im not jist leaving it at this goin to see some unfair dismissal solicitors monday

post #6 of 44 Old 01-19-2013, 1:42 PM

Reputation Power: 33

I can tell you're a youth. I was one once. I also used to buck against stuff like this which I didn't want to do, but these days I just knuckle down and get on with it. As a direct result my career prospects, job satisfaction, and therefore enjoyment of life have improved. Think about that.
post #7 of 44 Old 01-19-2013, 2:17 PM

Reputation Power: 24

It doesn't sound like the kind of place you were planning on making your career. Sounds like the job you have to get through school. I used to work at a gas station and I was well liked and always got the monthly store evaluation bonus. I didn't work from 12am to 4pm because school was 7-3 and all that. Labor day (Monday) I didn't have school, so I volunteered to take a 10am to 4pm shift for a girl who was taking a 3 day weekend. My manager put me down for the following week the same time. I told him that can't happen as I had school. He said it was my problem and I had to find someone to take it. The week went by and no one would take it. Saturday evening before I left he said, "See you Monday, Michael" I stopped at the door and said, "School is more important and more expensive than missing a day of work." (A&P school is all done by class time. You pay by the hour and you have to clock in. Missing an hour is $10 and I was making $7.50 at QT) and walked out. My phone started ringing around 10:15am on Monday and I ignored one more call a little later. Called after school to ask what was up and they said we would talk about it tomorrow at my shift. I walked in and they fired me in the storage room because I am defiant and that's intolerable for any proper business. I wish I told them to cram it because they forgot about the good year and a half I had there over one stupid incident which to this day I don't believe was my fault.

Bottom line.. you weren't going to be a lifer there find something better.
post #8 of 44 Old 01-19-2013, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu4ic1000 View Post
It doesn't sound like the kind of place you were planning on making your career. Sounds like the job you have to get through school. I used to work at a gas station and I was well liked and always got the monthly store evaluation bonus. I didn't work from 12am to 4pm because school was 7-3 and all that. Labor day (Monday) I didn't have school, so I volunteered to take a 10am to 4pm shift for a girl who was taking a 3 day weekend. My manager put me down for the following week the same time. I told him that can't happen as I had school. He said it was my problem and I had to find someone to take it. The week went by and no one would take it. Saturday evening before I left he said, "See you Monday, Michael" I stopped at the door and said, "School is more important and more expensive than missing a day of work." (A&P school is all done by class time. You pay by the hour and you have to clock in. Missing an hour is $10 and I was making $7.50 at QT) and walked out. My phone started ringing around 10:15am on Monday and I ignored one more call a little later. Called after school to ask what was up and they said we would talk about it tomorrow at my shift. I walked in and they fired me in the storage room because I am defiant and that's intolerable for any proper business. I wish I told them to cram it because they forgot about the good year and a half I had there over one stupid incident which to this day I don't believe was my fault.

Bottom line.. you weren't going to be a lifer there find something better.
It's a good example.

However I bet in the meantime you've gotten older and wiser and on more than one occasion just taken it from the man, for the sake of an easy life. Every now and again you just have to. Not on the daily, and principles are worth standing up for. However, one shift in the cold versus being unemployed in the current climate, even if it is only a weekends and evenings job? Not the call I'd make.
post #9 of 44 Old 01-19-2013, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorti View Post
It's a good example.

However I bet in the meantime you've gotten older and wiser and on more than one occasion just taken it from the man, for the sake of an easy life. Every now and again you just have to. Not on the daily, and principles are worth standing up for. However, one shift in the cold versus being unemployed in the current climate, even if it is only a weekends and evenings job? Not the call I'd make.
I know what you mean. I was struggling to make school payments at the time anyhow because of my lack of income. My loans wouldn't pay for all of school because they assume my parents who make over $200k combined "should help to pay for your school". I never saw the first dollar and I don't expect them to pay for it. I couldn't go to work to lose $50 just to kiss up to my part-time job boss. Today I work for Cessna and when its cold and the planes get snowed on you can bet I'm the first one out there to brush them off and pull them in to thaw. It's all a matter of perspective. I can't work for people who refuse to work with me.

For babybladerich I would deffinitely consider my speech skills and job securing capabilities. I know I can get another job out of an interveiw, lets hope he thrives in pressure and can do the same. Tell them you can work anything. DO NOT close up spots on a weekly schedule if you don't have a job unless it's school.

I just changed my profile settings. Didn't realize my age wasn't shown but I'm also 22. If he is confident and knows he can find another job then maybe he's better off. If it's honestly a problem with authority thing lol best of luck to you! Thats what these jobs entail sometimes. I hardly consider myself a "stick it to the man" type. Like I said above, for my career job it's no skin off my back to go out in the cold to take care of an issue. Pick your battles. Will it be harder to stand out in the cold or find a new job? For me it was harder to go to work, be out the money, cancel my friday shift to go make up the 8 hours and lose my biggest shift of the week than it was for me to find a new job.

Last edited by eu4ic1000; 01-19-2013 at 2:48 PM. Reason: Should have my age up.
post #10 of 44 Old 01-19-2013, 3:27 PM

You have the right perspective dude.

I'm 29, it took me a lot longer to get where you are now.
post #11 of 44 Old 01-19-2013, 3:34 PM

Reputation Power: 113

I'd definitely be putting in a formal complaint, especially if they didn't offer to issue you with the right clothing etc for the cold temperatures.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #12 of 44 Old 01-19-2013, 6:05 PM Thread Starter

I had to argue about a coat......

post #13 of 44 Old 01-19-2013, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybladerich View Post
I had to argue about a coat......
If you were in America that would have "sued" written all over it lol and you wouldn't need the job! Sky is right, you don't work for him anymore. File a complaint saying you lost your job over an unreasonable request on their behalf. Worst case they dismiss it. What else have you got to do? Attend your day job? Couldn't resist. Let us know.
post #14 of 44 Old 01-19-2013, 9:15 PM Thread Starter

Ill be going to the citizens advice bureau on monday IMO I didnt do wrong

post #15 of 44 Old 01-20-2013, 9:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

Jeezus! I really feel for the young men these days. If it makes you feel any better, Argos will be joining the list of failed companies any time now.
The demand that you work in sub freezing temperitures without proper clothing is clearly unjustifiable, the problem will be getting any recompense. I take it you haven't worked there full time for more than two years? If thats the case then management can, basically, do what they want with you.
Remember, we are having to compete with the Chinese and Indians these days, take a look at their working conditions, we still have a long way to fall.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page