Assumption that people here are purely tech support? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 Old 07-03-2013, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 113

Assumption that people here are purely tech support?

I've noticed that there's a lot of first posts on here that just go straight into "I'm having a problem with this ... fix it" sort of deal. No introduction, not even a please/thank you half the time. Has it become the expectation that people on here just sit around and wait for people to post their problems?

It seems half of them don't even seem to bother searching for the answer to a question that's been answered a million times before. Nothing wrong with asking for help, but I don't think the assumption that people are going to do all the work for you should be valid and accepted.

/rant

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 07-03-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Re: Assumption that people here are purely tech support?

I've posted this before - it's about phones but it translates

post #3 of 68 Old 07-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
I've noticed that there's a lot of first posts on here that just go straight into "I'm having a problem with this ... fix it" sort of deal. No introduction, not even a please/thank you half the time. Has it become the expectation that people on here just sit around and wait for people to post their problems?

It seems half of them don't even seem to bother searching for the answer to a question that's been answered a million times before. Nothing wrong with asking for help, but I don't think the assumption that people are going to do all the work for you should be valid and accepted.

/rant
While I do tend to agree with you, I try to remember that for many people, by the time they wind up here they're probably near their wits end trying to get their bike working :-)

I try to cut them some slack for that, but at least the question has been asked, and hopefully answered so that the next person searching for a similar fix might be able to stumble upon it.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 Old 07-03-2013, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

yea, I hear you!!! some of them are like I was thou, never really been a member of a sit like this before! looking for info, and got lucky to find this place!!!! some will stay become a part of something. helping others as they learn, adding to a pretty cool place...

Last edited by tweezy666; 07-03-2013 at 2:06 PM.
post #5 of 68 Old 07-03-2013, 12:59 PM

THANK YOU... soo many times I check the active topics and think, "Whelps, nothing on the org today..."
post #6 of 68 Old 07-03-2013, 1:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

It is kind of amazing/sad. I guess I hope that people will appreciate the help and maybe stay on board and contribute in some way.
post #7 of 68 Old 07-03-2013, 2:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I will say, a lot of people seem to be ask, what's wrong with my bike it's not starting no power or something like that??? is getting old!!!! at least give us some info on the bike! what's going on, year, model, ect! O yea, say hi maybe??? if they where to do a search first, that would be nice
post #8 of 68 Old 07-03-2013, 4:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
While I do tend to agree with you, I try to remember that for many people, by the time they wind up here they're probably near their wits end trying to get their bike working :-)

I try to cut them some slack for that, but at least the question has been asked, and hopefully answered so that the next person searching for a similar fix might be able to stumble upon it.
I'm not saying they shouldn't come for help - I enjoy problem solving as do a lot of members here. But if someone is walking down the street, they wouldn't just walk into another person's garage and start asking questions (that have already been asked 100 times before) without even so much as a hello or thank you.

post #9 of 68 Old 07-03-2013, 5:28 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Well i only joined initially to find answers about my bike. After getting such great help and information i stuck around and try to do my part to help out with what little knowledge i can. I do however see many dead end threads where a question was aksed but no answer. SO the more i learn the more i attempt to help them dead end threads hoping said member comes back!

To BL: i was that wits end person hhaah hence 6 page intro thread.
post #10 of 68 Old 07-03-2013, 8:30 PM

Reputation Power: 7

Would irritate some, but how about like some of the other forums have it where you cannot post something until you have posted in the introduction section. And/or have to have so many replies before you can post your own thread?
post #11 of 68 Old 07-04-2013, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

I don't find it TOO irritating. This board is better than a lot of the others out there as far as information and general friendliness. It seems that we have a pretty civil group. I'd to see some of you guys at the track.
post #12 of 68 Old 07-04-2013, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsta13 View Post
I don't find it TOO irritating. This board is better than a lot of the others out there as far as information and general friendliness. It seems that we have a pretty civil group. I'd to see some of you guys at the track.
Have to agree!
post #13 of 68 Old 07-04-2013, 1:22 PM

I'm new and started posting questions I appreciate all the help I receive and once I know enough will try and help others
But I really don't do the introductions thing I don't read them so figure why would someone else but I've seen a lot of forums and this is first one I registered in I read topics and the answers but always want to start my own topic and state it in my manner if its redundant I'm srry but I also run my own business commercial roofing not shingles lol and find it easier to just ask than look thru plus I get emails not sure if it does just repling to comments I seem to miss a lot on other forums other than bikes I have been apart of I don't use periods for the same reason
I truly want to understand the geometry and mechanics of my bike not just ride it
post #14 of 68 Old 07-15-2013, 3:05 PM

Reputation Power: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post

/rant
I agree but on the other side I do enjoy reading such posts to learn new things myself.

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"
post #15 of 68 Old 07-15-2013, 4:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

I actually was looking at a 900rr (i think a 99 or 98) and it lead me to this site. While that deal did fall through, I stuck around and kept on posting and answering what I could. I did stop visiting for a while as I was very busy between working and personal life, but eventually made my way back.. Now I am always working, in college, and try to get on as much as I can. Also helps that I started the search for a new bike... lead me right back here as I am a Honda fanboy... Either way, I started out with a proper introduction, and I don't think I've ever asked a HALP!!! question yet =)

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page