Harley FINALLY tells its riders "Do not ride our bikes" - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-19-2013, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 113

Harley FINALLY tells its riders "Do not ride our bikes"

Don't ride that Harley-Davidson - you might not... | Stuff.co.nz

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-20-2013, 9:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Re: Harley FINALLY tells its riders "Do not ride our bikes"

Harley-Davidson has initiated these recalls to correct the affected motorcycles, which include FLHTCU, FLHTK, FLHX, FLHTKSE, FLHRSE and Softail CVOs and Trikes, models FLHTCUTG, FXSBSE and FLSTNSE

Still with the ridiculous model names.

So, what model of Harley do you have? why I have the wqpoieurfokfqpoi;lqoiklfnm lol
post #3 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 8:16 AM

Reputation Power: 290

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00blade View Post

So, what model of Harley do you have? why I have the wqpoieurfokfqpoi;lqoiklfnm lol
Always wanted one of those

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Suzuki is having a little trouble with many of its gixxers too. Although, to be fair, it sounds like if you do simple maintenance and change your brake fluid yearly, like you're supposed to, then you won't have these problems. The problem sounds just like getting an air bubble in the system, which decreases the braking power significantly.

Quote:
The potential number of units affected is 210,228, including 2004-2013 model year Suzuki GSX-R600 and GSX-R750 as well as 2005-2013 GSX-R1000’s. According to the notice, “in combination with older brake fluid, corrosion of the brake piston inside of the front brake master cylinder generates gas that may result in a reduction of fluid pressure transmission to the front brake.”
Suzuki Recalls More Than 200,000 GSX-Rs - Motorcycle USA
post #5 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

I'd rather be on a Suzuki with a reduced lever efficiency than a Harley. My front brakes never worked anyway - they're not that efficient when the tyre is 4 foot off the ground.

post #6 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 10:37 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Re: yearly fluid change

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Although, to be fair, it sounds like if you do simple maintenance and change your brake fluid yearly, like you're supposed to, then you won't have these problems.
I don't think too many sportbikers change their brake fluid every year. I would imagine it's more like with every new pad set. Not that it's a bad idea - it is actually a very easy thing to do if you have a bleeder bag and know what you're doing. You can simply crack the bleeder a little bit and push the old fluid out while adding new and never even worry about getting air into your system. And since brake fluid slowly absorbs air anyway, you will probably notice better braking.

But I would consider this kind of maintenance on the "high end" like racers and those who really like to work on their bikes. I just like to ride. I only do the maintenance stuff because I have to. Yes I get satisfaction from knowing I did it myself, but I would much rather have the cash and space to have several bikes and just pawn one off to a pro with a wish-list of fixes and upgrades while I ride another in the meantime!

'09 Repsol

Yoshimura/Pirelli/Hotbodies/Throttlemeister/Pro-Grip/CRG/GB Racing/Honda eCushion/Carbone-Lorraine/Spiegler/Cox/Engine Ice/Repsol 4T/Dynojet/K&N/flapper mod/FIAMM/Spin-caps
post #7 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Re: yearly fluid change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
I just like to ride. I only do the maintenance stuff because I have to.
I think this is the reason there's so many "problem" threads on this forum. People don't know how or are not interested in maintenance, especially preventative. Then it's "in at the deep end" when stuff goes wrong.

post #8 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Good post Hardcore!
I ride a RC51, and I push my abilities often. So front brakes are pretty important to me, because unlike Sky, my front wheel never leaves the ground.

You had a good point about how easy it is to flush the brake fluid. It's very easy. Brake fluid is hydrophilic, it mixes with water. That's why brake fluid is rated by its dry, and wet boiling point. Anyone living in humid areas should be flushing their brake fluid yearly. With DOT4.

Back to the Harley topic, I cant say I'm disappointed for them, I think they've been pushing an inferior product for years to people who think they need that Harley image. Not saying every Harley owner is a poser, but I think more than half of them are. Of course I live in a state full of posers, maybe i'm opinionated....
Nah!!!!
post #9 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Back to the Harley topic, I cant say I'm disappointed for them, I think they've been pushing an inferior product for years to people who think they need that Harley image. Not saying every Harley owner is a poser, but I think more than half of them are. Of course I live in a state full of posers, maybe i'm opinionated....
Nah!!!!

It's the same with sportsbikes too - there are posers. Harley riders do seem to make up a LARGE percentage though, and as for the bikes, I don't get how they can push 1960's technology for the prices they do. It's amazing what marketing can do.

post #10 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 2:05 PM

Reputation Power: 290

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
Harley riders do seem to have a LARGER rider percentage though, and as for the bikes, I don't get how they can push 1960's technology for the prices they do. It's amazing what marketing can do.
Fixed

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page