Tuff Day - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 04-12-2014, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Tuff Day

What a day, I'm working harder every year. Mann keeping up with cost of living is just flat out b/s. Insurance, gas, groceries all up only to see my check is getting smaller by the year....sorry had to vent.

Last edited by Tracker1; 04-12-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-12-2014, 2:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage
Re: Tuff Day

Couldn't agree more! I find it horrible that some people refuse to pay more than minimum wage, and there is no way a single person can afford a car, insurance, rent, and food working a 40 hour job at minimum wage......

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #3 of 31 Old 04-12-2014, 7:43 AM

Reputation Power: 290

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Yup its no easy

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 04-12-2014, 8:59 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Man I feel your pain! It's not easy anymore, especially so when you have children. I have a 10 year old and I can't even imagine what its going to be like for him!
post #5 of 31 Old 04-12-2014, 8:37 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

A mate posted this on FB just now and I immediately thought of this thread :-)
Attached Thumbnails
1504009_10152563975869505_7829952836748399228_n.jpg‎  

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 31 Old 04-14-2014, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

smh...I don't have a minimum wage job... but at some point things have to change.
post #7 of 31 Old 04-15-2014, 5:58 AM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

On the other end of the spectrum, I can't believe the workers at McD's think they're worth $15/hour, guess I'm gonna have to pony up $12 for a Big Mac if they get it.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli

Last edited by fj1200rj; 04-16-2014 at 3:52 AM.
post #8 of 31 Old 04-15-2014, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

I cook at home man and workout...McDonalds nasty anyway... to each is own.
post #9 of 31 Old 04-16-2014, 4:18 AM

Garage

Good for you! I was just making a point about the situation in this country. Some jobs are only worth minimun wage. If the fast food workers were to get away with unionization and a $15/hour minimum wage it will start a trickle down effect we will all feel. What's next? Box boys makinig $20/hour? There go grocery prices, as if they not bad enough already. It wasn't a personal attack on you, I'm just tired of people whining about their jobs. Most people have the power to better thier situation, but most lack the necessary work ethic to do so. I'll get down off my soapbox now, got to jump in my Escalade with 22's and run down tho the liquor store and see if they'll take my EBT card.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #10 of 31 Old 04-16-2014, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

^^ that made me laugh a bit....

I'm not saying that everyone should get free handouts of money, unlike Obama. I am just pointing out that with the price of some things (rent/food/petrol) being so high it is very hard, if not impossible, for people to make it as a single person living on their own.

I also agree with you that if you don't like the circumstances you are in, find a way to change them. I didn't like what I was doing for employment (manager at a McD's) so I went out and invested my time and money to go to college. That was about 2 years ago, and I have about 15 months left until I finish my BA with a current 3.87 GPA and 42 credits to go. I can't wait to finish and hopefully find a lot of potential for advancement in my chosen career.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #11 of 31 Old 04-16-2014, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDemon View Post

I'm not saying that everyone should get free handouts of money, unlike Obama. I am just pointing out that with the price of some things (rent/food/petrol) being so high it is very hard, if not impossible, for people to make it as a single person living on their own.

I also agree with you that if you don't like the circumstances you are in, find a way to change them. I didn't like what I was doing for employment (manager at a McD's) so I went out and invested my time and money to go to college. That was about 2 years ago, and I have about 15 months left until I finish my BA with a current 3.87 GPA and 42 credits to go. I can't wait to finish and hopefully find a lot of potential for advancement in my chosen career.
WOW you go smarty pants! Great Job! I never completed my 2 years of college (Criminal Justice). If I had, I would be a retired Police Officer by now, but hind sight is 20/20! Great job though on the BA, you should be proud!
post #12 of 31 Old 04-16-2014, 1:39 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 101

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999BladeMan View Post
WOW you go smarty pants! Great Job! I never completed my 2 years of college (Criminal Justice). If I had, I would be a retired Police Officer by now, but hind sight is 20/20!
Damn BladeMan right on! When I was in college tryin to figure life out I was spending all my time and money on my Hurricane. When I graduated I had my Associates degree, a full time $10 an hour job, and a new to me 900RR that I spent the next 3 years maxing out 4 credit cards to build!! Then I took 3 different jobs since then til now, when I decided to grow up and make a life change. I got hired as a cop in the town I grew up in. And sure as sh!t if I had figured that out 20 years ago instead of playing with motorcycles, I too could have been living the good life as a retired/cop Fireblader for life!!!!!! Now if I want my full pension I have to work there another 20 years from right now putting me near death ( no offense 60 something's). Wish I had figured that out years ago.

Now it's one day at a time and hopefully I can continue to feed the family as well as my addiction to wrenching on bikes for a long time.

BladeMan, May I ask why you didn't finish the CJ program?

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #13 of 31 Old 04-16-2014, 1:41 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDemon View Post

Glad you got a chuckle, it was meant to be a little funny, however there is a little truth in jest. Seriously, though, my 18 year old son just graduated High school last year, Magna Cum Laude, missing Summa Cum Laude by 0.02%, attends a state college full time and just made the Dean's list for his first semester, and as a freshman he's taking classes that are full of sophmores and juniors. He was captain of his swim team and became a lifeguard last summer and is in line for a promotion that comes with a $1.45/hr raise, a year ahead of schedule. As part of his lifeguard training he has been trained in placing conscious and unconscious victims in neck restraints and on backboards in order to safely remove victims with possible spinal injuries from water. He holds several Red Cross certificates which require annual renewal: CPR, AED, Emergency First Aid as well as a couple which aren't coming to mind right now. Obviously his mom and I are very proud of him as he has a maturity and work ethic far beyond his years. He asks for little and accepts responsibility for his actions. He was raised that way and I have little doubt he will accomplish his life's goals. He plans to become a doctor and knows full well the long road ahead of him. I don't profess to be the world's beast teacher, my wife's better, and we were blessed with a good student. Several of the 20 something year old A&P's I work with could learn a lot from him. So the thought of a burger flipper feeling they deserve to be paid higher than him gets under my skin a little bit. All I'm saying is wake up America, the free ride is over, the bank has been broken!

post #14 of 31 Old 04-16-2014, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Damn BladeMan right on! When I was in college tryin to figure life out I was spending all my time and money on my Hurricane. When I graduated I had my Associates degree, a full time $10 an hour job, and a new to me 900RR that I spent the next 3 years maxing out 4 credit cards to build!! Then I took 3 different jobs since then til now, when I decided to grow up and make a life change. I got hired as a cop in the town I grew up in. And sure as sh!t if I had figured that out 20 years ago instead of playing with motorcycles, I too could have been living the good life as a retired/cop Fireblader for life!!!!!! Now if I want my full pension I have to work there another 20 years from right now putting me near death ( no offense 60 something's). Wish I had figured that out years ago.

Now it's one day at a time and hopefully I can continue to feed the family as well as my addiction to wrenching on bikes for a long time.

BladeMan, May I ask why you didn't finish the CJ program?

You Sure can ask! back in the day you did not need a degree to become a police officer. I put myself through the Criminal Justice Academy and passed and was a Certified police office working for Sarasota County. At that time I was married (Stupid move and too young) and my wife at the time did not like that I was a PO! So like a dumbass, I quit and started working as a Surveyor for a local company. Well 7 years later I find out that my wife at the time was sleeping with everyone including me! (Not Good, thank god I never got a STD). So I was all alone on a minimal income so I could not send my self back to school because 7 years later, you were required to have a degree! yes that sucked! But, life is good. I now have a wife I am totally in love with, I have a 10 year old son that looks Identical to me and I own a Fireblade! Does not get much better than that! I'm not poor, but i'm not rich either!

So are you a police officer now? These days, its way different than when I was in!
post #15 of 31 Old 04-16-2014, 2:08 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 101

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999BladeMan View Post
You Sure can ask! back in the day you did not need a degree to become a police officer. I put myself through the Criminal Justice Academy and passed and was a Certified police office working for Sarasota County. At that time I was married (Stupid move and too young) and my wife at the time did not like that I was a PO! So like a dumbass, I quit and started working as a Surveyor for a local company. Well 7 years later I find out that my wife at the time was sleeping with everyone including me! (Not Good, thank god I never got a STD). So I was all alone on a minimal income so I could not send my self back to school because 7 years later, you were required to have a degree! yes that sucked! But, life is good. I now have a wife I am totally in love with, I have a 10 year old son that looks Identical to me and I own a Fireblade! Does not get much better than that! I'm not poor, but i'm not rich either!

So are you a police officer now? These days, its way different than when I was in!
Wow that all sucks, sorry. Glad you're in a better place now family wise. Yeah, I got in 4 years ago at age 38. Had to pass a pretty intense agility test among other things. My department required the 2 year degree or military credit. Studying and taking tests at 38 years old sucked. Haven't been in any classroom setting since 1994. I love my job, working midnight shift, posting stuff here at 3am while on the road is great too! Hahahahaha. What's tough is I went through 26 weeks at a live in academy where we only got to go home on the weekends. Married 2 kids at home put a lot of burden of my wife, but we made it. I had a 21 year old and a 24 year old for roommates, who by the time they get to my age will be retiring as well. That was hard to swallow, but I carried on. They're making the same money as me, with no wife, no kids, and no mortgage. That hurts too. Definitely wished I did it at their age, but then I wouldn't have had such a stellar RR to flog around on.

But as you said, neither rich nor poor. Ends meet, for the most part.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page