FZR Project - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-23-2003, 8:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: FZR Project

No pics yet (can't get them out of my e-mail box, works exchange server is down...again...Blah). Some of this was posted in the sigma thread but I'm going to use this thread for pics and updates and stuff.

I know it isn't a blade but I thought some of you may be interested in watching this bike transform. It should be a completly different animal when he gets done with it. I've got much respect for his plans with this bike, it isn't a little project. And, with it being his first bike, he's really set himself down a hard road. But, knowing him, it will get done and be even better then planned.

Some history on the bike:

Picked it up for $1600, dropped about $800 into it (new brakes/disks, rebuilt forks, re-jetted and synced carbs, etc).

When we picked it up the bike ran okay but backfired all the time and was loud as hell. It also wasn't making power until, around, 5000rpm. Now the power starts to really pull around 3000rpm. The bike then stopped running (jetting was so bad it fouled out the carbs). We picked it up down in St. Cloud, FL and had it back up here, and with our bike tech, by monday.

We didn't see it again for almost two weeks. Got it back and it runs like a dream. We need to put a new batt. in it but we'll have that today.

So far he has the following mods in the works (had some of the parts before he had the bike! )
2001 R6 Tail/seat
Seat custom mounted to hinge like a CBR cowl/seat
2002 R6 undertail/taillight
2000+ YZF 600 upper and headlight
WRX Blue Paint
Custom painted frame
Custom guage setup (sigma for speedo flushed into guage area)

It already has the following:
F2 Back Rim (With spricket, cush drive, etc)
Yosh Braided Steel highmount exhaust
Flushmounts
K&N Air Filter

That's about it for now. I'll post updates as they roll in. So far he already has the R6 tail and seat at the house. He managed to snake the undertail and taillight for $50 shipped. Still looking for a good deal on the YZF upper and headlight.

Hopefully I can post the pics up soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-23-2003, 10:31 AM

hmmm, could be interesting.......IMO the FZR stock is the worst looking beast ceated, so after all the changes hes playing around with, could be kinda neat. post those pics
post #3 of 11 Old 05-23-2003, 10:52 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Is he changing the rims to 17'? I had a '92 FZR600 and it was a biatch to find good sport rubber for those 18' rims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-23-2003, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
HondaGalToo : Is he changing the rims to 17'? *I had a '92 FZR600 and it was a biatch to find good sport rubber for those 18' rims.
Already did. The bike now has the rim from an F2 on the back of it. Looks trick and you can use regular tires.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-23-2003, 11:29 AM

FZR's are ugly but they are good beginners bikes.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-23-2003, 12:27 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Pulse : Quote (HondaGalToo @ May 23 2003, 9:52am)Is he changing the rims to 17'? *I had a '92 FZR600 and it was a biatch to find good sport rubber for those 18' rims.
Already did. *The bike now has the rim from an F2 on the back of it. *Looks trick and you can use regular tires.
Way cool! That'll make life easier. I had fun on my FZR! Except when I had to buy tires!
post #7 of 11 Old 05-26-2003, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

The bikes actually in pretty good shape. Don't have many pics of it but here he is trying it out for the first time.

Note: He does have gear (gloves, jacket, helmet, etc). We were in the hotel parking lot and he was just cruising in there. We only had about 5 minutes for him to play with it.

So no squids here. Just a quick pic is all.

I'll post some updates from time to time. The first project is the frame, it's gonna be black (along with the swingarm). After that it's the tail section, etc, etc.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-26-2003, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Just to give an idea of the outcome, this bike is an FZR with a 99 or 00 R6 tail (we're using a 2k2). *He also swapped out the gas tank, it isn't on our list at the moment.

His plans call for a black frame/swingarm and a completly different paintjob, different upper and such. *Should be interesting when he gets done.

post #9 of 11 Old 05-26-2003, 1:04 PM
Jay

Wow, just about every1 I knew started on one of those bikes.
Fun little things.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-26-2003, 1:47 PM

Reputation Power: 18

No offense or anything, but don't you think that's a little too much money to be dropping into that bike? You're already up to $2400 just in getting the bike and repair, not to mention all the mods that y'all are wanting to do. Personally I would just drop the money into an F3 and get a little more performance that then Fizzer. Just my $.02

Paul

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '05!
'01 CBR929RR Y/B, '02 Honda XR50 Death Machine
But officer, it's only a 4 cylinder!
post #11 of 11 Old 05-26-2003, 2:01 PM Thread Starter

Actually, we're going to be below $3000 when we get done.

Most F3's anywhere near here are running for a lot more then that (most F2's around here are around $3000).

This bike is really strong with all the work already done to it, handles very well and will look like few others out there when he gets done.

Originality, strong running, well performing and still below $3000. *In the end it's a deal no matter how you slice it.

[edited out some typo's. ]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page