Cool Dads - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-03-2016, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-01-2011
Location: Quartz Hill, Ca
Posts: 3,226
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122
                     
Garage
Cool Dads

So, I called my Pops today to wish him a Happy Birthday. Had to leave a message. He called back an hour or so later. I could hear prop noise in the background, seems he was out at the local airport. The reason he didn't answer my call is he was up flying his powered para-glider. Now, my pops raced dirt bikes through his 20's into his early 30's and is responsible for teaching me to ride. He got back into dirt bikes when I was around 16, he was my best riding partner, I learned far more following him than any of my buddies could have ever taught me. When I bought my first street bike, then my second, a CB750, both of which he helped me find, he got the bug and went out and bought a Suzuki GV1200 Cruiser. He was also a pilot and aircraft owner, he taught me to fly, which is also the reason the only profession I have known is aviation. He has beaten cancer, has had 3 heart attacks, resulting in two angioplasties and a triple bypass (it was supposed to be a quadruple, but when they got in there they determined one vein to be unsuitable). Consequently he is no longer able to get a Class 3 medical certificate required to fly. He also road a Harley up until a few years ago.
With Father's Day a couple weeks away, the reason for my post is this: Does anyone else have a father that is more extreme than they are? Although I have skydived and hes has not, I am not currently doing anything as extreme as flying around at 500 feet dangling from a para-sail with a chainsaw motor and a prop on my back, and I'm not 79 years old!
I hope I'm that cool at 79! Cheers Pops
I would love to hear some stories about "cool" dads.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli

Last edited by fj1200rj; 06-03-2016 at 11:20 PM.
fj1200rj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 06-04-2016, 2:11 AM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,106
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: Cool Dads

Great story FJ, your old man was way cooler than mine, thus I can only give you props for having such a great role model growing up

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
IanDoohan is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 06-04-2016, 6:11 AM
Global Moderator
 
macca9540's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-11-2006
Location: Yeppoon Qld., Australia
Age: 63
Posts: 14,687
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 270
                     
Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540
Re: Cool Dads

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj1200rj View Post
So, I called my Pops today to wish him a Happy Birthday. Had to leave a message. He called back an hour or so later. I could hear prop noise in the background, seems he was out at the local airport. The reason he didn't answer my call is he was up flying his powered para-glider. Now, my pops raced dirt bikes through his 20's into his early 30's and is responsible for teaching me to ride. He got back into dirt bikes when I was around 16, he was my best riding partner, I learned far more following him than any of my buddies could have ever taught me. When I bought my first street bike, then my second, a CB750, both of which he helped me find, he got the bug and went out and bought a Suzuki GV1200 Cruiser. He was also a pilot and aircraft owner, he taught me to fly, which is also the reason the only profession I have known is aviation. He has beaten cancer, has had 3 heart attacks, resulting in two angioplasties and a triple bypass (it was supposed to be a quadruple, but when they got in there they determined one vein to be unsuitable). Consequently he is no longer able to get a Class 3 medical certificate required to fly. He also road a Harley up until a few years ago.
With Father's Day a couple weeks away, the reason for my post is this: Does anyone else have a father that is more extreme than they are? Although I have skydived and hes has not, I am not currently doing anything as extreme as flying around at 500 feet dangling from a para-sail with a chainsaw motor and a prop on my back, and I'm not 79 years old!
I hope I'm that cool at 79! Cheers Pops
I would love to hear some stories about "cool" dads.
Go fj1200rj"s Pops. He sounds like a great bloke, tuff as.
Enjoy your dad as mine passed away nearly 20 years ago. Miss him heaps.

I was young and stupid then. I'm old and stupid now.
We get too soon old, and too late smart.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
macca9540 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 Old 06-04-2016, 8:33 AM
Heeza Y Zasch
 
unslow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-14-2008
Location: Tioga County, NY
Posts: 3,028
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59
                     
Re: Cool Dads

I'm not going to "hate" on my father... but yours sounds like one HELLUVA guy! glad you had an encouraging and teaching positive role model FJ

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
unslow1 is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 06-04-2016, 8:44 AM
 
Join Date: 05-27-2016
Location: chicago
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Cool Dads

i was thinkin, would be a pretty nice fathers day thing to let him read this thread.
good on ya fj
crowfly is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 06-04-2016, 1:14 PM
 
Join Date: 04-20-2016
Location: Today is all I need
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Cool Dads

Quote:
Originally Posted by unslow1 View Post
I'm not going to "hate" on my father... but yours sounds like one HELLUVA guy! glad you had an encouraging and teaching positive role model FJ
There are dark parts of everyone's past usually repeated from their childhood. You can be a happier person if you let go and forgive. After you forgive, you begin to experience gratitude, peace, and joy. Forgiveness can even lead to feelings of understanding, empathy and compassion for the one who hurt you. It doesn't mean you don't hold him responsible for what he's done, forgiveness doesn't mean to excuse the act(s). It just frees you to move on. It's a lesson I tell myself every day. You're not alone.
1926 is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 06-04-2016, 2:16 PM
 
Join Date: 04-20-2016
Location: Today is all I need
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Cool Dads

Dad is 75, very active. he does a lot of fishing on his boat, only a road divides his home for a large river that leads into the ocean some 10 miles away. A past time of his when he's fiddling around home, he is always rebuilding some outboard that someone blew up and was throwing away. He calls it wrench therapy. His new wife is rather high maintenance (most trophy's are), and wrenching in his shop is how he works out his frustrations.

When I think of what my father can do, at his level in everything, I feel lucky if I can even stand in his shadow. His generation was hands on, do it yourself. His abilities reflects that of a generation and the one before, that built a country that produced goods worldwide, true tradesmen, skilled in many areas. Self sufficient is how I would describe him. He's never in my lifetime, ever hired someone to do anything, just as my grandfather taught him.
The world as I knew it growing up has almost disappeared. Each new generation is faced with a different set of problems to solve. But the foundation, good habits, and a "can do" attitude, anyone can be a version of a "carpet bagger" and survive anything. Dad was never unemployed, but worked in electronics from it's birth, through 2011 when he retired age 70, and when the field went into cyclic slumps, he was prepared to fall back as a plumber, auto mechanic, carpet layer, or marine mechanic.

Some of you guys would like my old man, he never would buy a GM truck either, and I never hear the end of it.
.
1926 is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 06-04-2016, 5:33 PM
Global Moderator
 
macca9540's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-11-2006
Location: Yeppoon Qld., Australia
Age: 63
Posts: 14,687
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 270
                     
Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540
Re: Cool Dads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1926 View Post
Dad was never unemployed, but worked in electronics from it's birth, through 2011 when he retired age 70, and when the field went into cyclic slumps, he was prepared to fall back as a plumber, auto mechanic, carpet layer, or marine mechanic.
WOW! Very diverse your dad. And a carpet layer in the mix.

I was young and stupid then. I'm old and stupid now.
We get too soon old, and too late smart.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
macca9540 is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 06-04-2016, 10:26 PM
 
Join Date: 07-15-2010
Location: My comfy chair
Posts: 4,122
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66
                     
Garage
Re: Cool Dads

My pops just works a ton... He's been a welder since he was 14 (he's only 59 this year) and has always worked hard. Served 20 years in the military, retired, and works a full-time job (plus overtime weekly) welding still. While a work-a-holic, he also loves his riding. He bought my first bike for me when I was still in diapers and a onesie.... have the pics of me sitting on it even then (without help I might mention). Probably the only thing we have in common is our love of bikes and riding.... we never got along unless we were riding or shooting together.... Still- respect and love him through all the b.s...

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
RRDemon is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 06-05-2016, 12:08 PM
 
Join Date: 02-02-2011
Posts: 1,601
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 98
                     
Re: Cool Dads

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca9540 View Post
Go fj1200rj"s Pops. He sounds like a great bloke, tuff as.
Enjoy your dad as mine passed away nearly 20 years ago. Miss him heaps.
Good on your Dad Fj......mine passed a few years back as well...he was a machinist by trade and an old school Brit from Birmingham, he didn't share my love of bikes because of a tragic accident in the family when he was in the old country, having said that he always supported my decisions begrudgingly....he was a great father and grand father to my sons.....we all miss him terribly
oxman1196 is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 06-05-2016, 12:57 PM
 
Join Date: 01-08-2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 7,455
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198
                     
Re: Cool Dads

Nice thread FJ. Your dad sounds like a man who knows how to live!
jondog9 is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 06-06-2016, 4:25 PM
Supporting Member
 
rikk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-25-2013
Location: New Hampshire
Age: 46
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20
                   
Re: Cool Dads

I kicked around replying to this thread for a bit as I am not sure I can do justice to my dad and the sacrifices he made for us. But here it goes.

my dad is a hard 74 year old man that has always been very hard to read as he is not the most emotional man on the planet. With that being said he was always there. Every race, every hockey practice and game, every school function and every day I was in court (I was a difficult kid). He was a single dad, as my mother left us when I was 5, trying to care for my brother and I while serving in the air force. The best memories of time with my dad was spent with a motorcycle. My dad bought me my first bike when I was 3 a little HD 50 that I still have to this day. We spent every winter tearing down his 1963 HD Pan Head and putting it back together and turning wrenches on my bikes. Even when things between us where difficult (usually due to my idiocy) we had the mutual love of bikes that brought us together. He was very hard on me which was not the case for my brother. At the time I did not understand why but now see it as one of the many things that made me the man I am. Trips to the ER did not include hand holding and “it will be all right’s” they were used as a teaching moment a time to reflect on what I did that landed me on a stretcher with some body part in a splint. But he always encouraged me to learn from that, get up, dust myself off and try it again and keep trying until I got it right. He taught me that no job is worth doing if you are not going to do it right. After the air force he landed in Meredith, NH, let me tell you the culture shock that was to a 13 year old military brat. But we got through everything that was thrown at the 3 of us. About 5 years ago just after med school my dad had his heart attack this must have shaken him a lot as he came to me and apologized for how he raised me, he told me he wished he was a better father. That he was proud of me and all that I had done, for the husband and father I was. This confused me for if it was not for him, everything I had, everything I had done, would not have been posable without him being the man and father that he was and is. This very stoic man who believed that showing love was something that was demonstrated in daily action, not talked about. Would be concerned and not know this……

so I told him.

fall down 7 times, get up 8
rikk is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 06-06-2016, 6:46 PM
 
Join Date: 02-02-2011
Posts: 1,601
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 98
                     
Re: Cool Dads

great story, thx for sharing Rikk
oxman1196 is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 06-06-2016, 8:09 PM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,106
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: Cool Dads

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxman1196 View Post
great story, thx for sharing Rikk


Great story Rikk

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
IanDoohan is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 06-07-2016, 5:47 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-01-2011
Location: Quartz Hill, Ca
Posts: 3,226
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122
                     
Garage
Re: Cool Dads

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca9540 View Post
Go fj1200rj"s Pops. He sounds like a great bloke, tuff as.
Enjoy your dad as mine passed away nearly 20 years ago. Miss him heaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxman1196 View Post
Good on your Dad Fj......mine passed a few years back as well...he was a machinist by trade and an old school Brit from Birmingham, he didn't share my love of bikes because of a tragic accident in the family when he was in the old country, having said that he always supported my decisions begrudgingly....he was a great father and grand father to my sons.....we all miss him terribly
Thanks Macca and Oxman. The 2000 miles between us and my busy life has kept me from seeing him much over the last 20+ years and I know he wont be around forever, probably what prompted me to start this thread. I lost my mom when I was 19, and I know it's going to be hard when I lose him.
Ox, I feel ya. My cousin lost the use of his right arm in a motocross crash at Saddleback Park here in California in the 70's. He was still a minor, and his dad traveled a lot for work and was out of town at the time., My dad signed the consent form so he could race that day. He was turning pro the next season. My dad always felt guilt over it even though my cousin was never bitter over it, in fact having to overcome the injury made him into one of the strongest people I know. With all that happening right after I was born, I'm pretty lucky he still supported me getting into dirt bikes. I'm not sure Mom wholly supported it, but she didn't fight it either, at least not that I knew of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Great story FJ, your old man was way cooler than mine, thus I can only give you props for having such a great role model growing up
Quote:
Originally Posted by unslow1 View Post
I'm not going to "hate" on my father... but yours sounds like one HELLUVA guy! glad you had an encouraging and teaching positive role model FJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowfly View Post
i was thinkin, would be a pretty nice fathers day thing to let him read this thread.
good on ya fj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Nice thread FJ. Your dad sounds like a man who knows how to live!
Thanks guys, even though he reminisces sometimes about all the things he feels he could have done better, I feel like I had a pretty blessed childhood. We did a lot of camping as a family, he taught me to play baseball, we listened to the play call of the Dodger games on the front porch together in the 70's. He took me to the drag races. He taught me to fly, drive, ride and fix things. He didn't drink and never beat us, how much more could I ask for?

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli

Last edited by fj1200rj; 06-07-2016 at 6:05 AM.
fj1200rj is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My dads GZ250 SpitfiremkII General Discussion 4 05-06-2007 6:52 PM
Dads new ride johnnycrash General Discussion 17 11-08-2006 3:25 PM
ohmygod...Dads!? showmethebombs Off-Topic 28 09-10-2004 8:27 AM
For all the dads out there stegen Off-Topic 23 11-02-2003 8:31 PM
Question For Dads of Riders bwhip Honda FireBlade 44 10-24-2003 2:19 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome