Wireless question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-01-2004, 8:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Wireless question

Does anyone have a wireless router set up in there house? I installed mine and my laptop can't find it. I also have a WiFi finder and it can't find it also. Its a wireless G router and my computer has the card. I called up the manufacturer (Linksys) and they have no clue. They said that it may be the laptop not being set up right but the WiFi should have found the signal anyways Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-01-2004, 8:33 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: Wireless question

Is DHCP enabled on the router? Do you have your hard LAN card enabled? Disable it if so. It's all I can think of offhand
post #3 of 16 Old 04-01-2004, 8:34 PM

This might be a stupid question....but does your laptop have an on/off switch for the wireless signal reciever to work? I have a toshiba and it has a switch I have to turn on to find a wireless signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-01-2004, 8:38 PM Thread Starter

DHCP is what I have it set on and I never saw anything for a hard LAN card. I'm not sure about the switch deal but the WIFi should have found it anyways.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-01-2004, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rios929
This might be a stupid question....but does your laptop have an on/off switch for the wireless signal reciever to work? I have a toshiba and it has a switch I have to turn on to find a wireless signal.
That's what I was gonna recommend,I was going nutty and then realized there was a switch on the left side that had to be on.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-02-2004, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan
Does anyone have a wireless router set up in there house? I installed mine and my laptop can't find it. I also have a WiFi finder and it can't find it also. Its a wireless G router and my computer has the card. I called up the manufacturer (Linksys) and they have no clue. They said that it may be the laptop not being set up right but the WiFi should have found the signal anyways Help
did you configure the ESSID to be non-broadcast? The physical layer is what the NIC card in your PC is looking for to find the WAP. DHCP happens once the physical layer has been established and you are not getting that far. If I am understanding the problem correctly, you need to search for the appropriate SSID, if it can not be found, I'd color the NIC or the WAP suspect and the first thing I would try is another NIC. It IS troubling that the finder can not detect the WAP either...maybe the WAP has the wrong band defined or has been wireless disabled...
post #7 of 16 Old 04-02-2004, 8:43 PM Thread Starter

Thx for the reply Fig. I got home a couple of hours ago and the first thing that i did was change out the network cable that came with it. Low and behold...it worked. I did reset the router and configed it again but now it is working
I am getting wireless happy over here. Must stop spending money
post #8 of 16 Old 04-02-2004, 10:56 PM
Sponsor

Reputation Power: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan

Same one we have. Glad you got it working. I like it b/c one of us can be on the desktop and another on the laptop at the same time.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-02-2004, 11:19 PM

I have the new Netgear 108 MBPS...easy set up. Extremely fast and its alot smaller than my old linksys wireless router. Has 4x the range as well. Before, I couldn't make it to my back porch, but now I can!!!

Last edited by dlowe; 04-02-2004 at 11:19 PM.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-03-2004, 12:07 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to matt232

Its pretty cool have a WiFi access point at home. A number of mornings, I've just stayed in bed until midday and just VPNed into the office, and no one is the wiser. Wifi dramatically increases your potential to be slothful.

Download net stumbler

It will do three things,

1. list any and all WiFi Access points in the area
2. Give you an rough indication of how secure your WiFi network is
3. Let you wonder around the area and determine how strong the signal is in different rooms.

At the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM for home, make sure you enable WEP and MAC address restrictions; however both of these can be easily broken in a few minutes. So if possible use WPA and setup your router so that Wireless nodes can only access your wired network and the internet via a VPN connection(thus ensuring wirelss traffic is authenticated and securely encrypted).

If there is any sensitive info on any computers on your network the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM then become the full firewall and VPN setup with WPA otherwise you are just asking for someone to suck info off your network. If indeed WiFi is worth the risk at all.

More info
http://members.optushome.com.au/praetor/wifi.html

Last edited by matt232; 04-03-2004 at 12:16 AM.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-03-2004, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

I'm trying to figure out how to print from the laptop to the default printer now. I'd like to share my drives from one computer to another but thats another day I guess

Edit: Matt,That link did not work for me...

Last edited by MacMan; 04-03-2004 at 12:24 AM.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-03-2004, 2:18 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlowe
I have the new Netgear 108 MBPS...easy set up. Extremely fast and its alot smaller than my old linksys wireless router. Has 4x the range as well. Before, I couldn't make it to my back porch, but now I can!!!
..and if you used the config 'wizard' your neighbors are enjoying your increased speed and range as well
post #13 of 16 Old 04-03-2004, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeStrangeGuy
..and if you used the config 'wizard' your neighbors are enjoying your increased speed and range as well
Not to mention, all those 'educational movies' you downloaded currently saved on your shared folders and full colour printing to your printers.

Check out the Wifi security tools

Not just your neigbours either, war driving ( War Driving Howto ) would have anyone parking outside your house and accessing your network and internet connection.

Make sure you protect yourself macman, even if you have just a little more security than the guy next door so that everyone targets your neighbours and not you.

Last edited by matt232; 04-03-2004 at 4:04 AM.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-13-2004, 12:40 PM

Another tip....

I just updated the firmware for my Wireless Access Point so I'm using WPA-PSK now rather than WEP. Touch more secure now that I'm using a protocol which doesn't have a piece of code out there that can crack it in a few minutes.

So moral of the story, check out the manufactures website for firmware updates, read all the directions on how to do it and the risks (could potentially make the device inopperative), make sure you have the right firmware your device. However if you have a pirated version of windows don't bother with the firmware update because you won't be able to make use of the new protocols.

With that in mind check out the Mircosoft windows update site (assuming thats the OS you are using) http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to make sure your wireless protocols are up to date on your workstation.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-13-2004, 6:15 PM
Fig

Just an fyi. I know of these tools which you speak of.. Airsnort to be exact. Here's the rub. While it can decrypt your wep key in a matter of a few seconds, the problem is, it needs to collect around 10-15 million packets in order for this to happen. If you are generating normal web traffic, the person attempting to crack your wep key might have to idle in front of your house for somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-8 weeks if they are lucky. There are other tools to help generate these packets, but it really does take some time to get enough traffic to make this happen. If you change your wep key once a month, my guess is you would be relatively safe.

I was a little more paranoid about wep until I tried cracking my own key. Still hasn't happened, although I haven't been able to free up a laptop for long enough.
Fig

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page