For anyone even thinking about suspension - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 04-02-2004, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

For anyone even thinking about suspension

Well guys, my suspension is all done - the respring job that is.

To everyone who ever told me that spending money on suspension is or should be the FIRST coin set down on a new bike, I conced. You were right.

I bought straight-rate 1.1 fork springs and a 650 lb. Hypercoil shock spring and, with a good buddy's help yesterday, got everything installed in about two hours. This includes putting another 50psi nitrogen into the shock (it had bled off quite a bit over the winter) and setting the fork tubes up 5mm in the triple clamps to help quicken the steering and negate the higher dynamic ride height from the much stiffer front end.

I rode about 200 miles in the hills north of my home yesterday afternoon and I can honestly say I'm actually more confident and am riding more briskly with a greater margin of safety on this bike than I was on the same high speed sweepers and switchbacks which I rode last summer aboard my 954. The point isn't to suggest the FZ is a more capable sportbike than the 954 was. What I mean is, the difference in handling is like night and day; had I done this work to the 954 (springs to match my 230 riding weight), who knows how much better yet I'd be riding.

No fork dive upon hard braking. No unsettling of the chassis with a mid-corner line correction. No hobby-horse effect when I apply throttle and rail a long, wide corner. No gushy rear end dive on hard acceleration, but instead a mild rise with the back tire digging in and the bike catapulting forward.

In short, I love it.

Again, thanks to those who pushed me in the right direction. There really IS life after exhaust.

-Chain

Last edited by Chain; 05-07-2006 at 10:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-02-2004, 10:37 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: For anyone even thinking about suspension

Do you think the Yamagods might be upset with you for using Honda contact cleaner on your Yam?

Last edited by ND4SPD; 04-02-2004 at 10:38 AM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 27 Old 04-02-2004, 10:47 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to TGZ13

I hear ya chain on the whole suspension thing. Just did the same thing to my Yamaha Seca II and man what a difference it can make, especially to us heavier guys (220 here )

ND4SPD just for the hell of it and for making another yamaha joke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 04-02-2004, 11:22 AM

good for you, about time you listened...

Now, when are you gonna listen and get "on track"... We're right about that too ya know...
post #5 of 27 Old 04-02-2004, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Confession time: My biggest fear isn't looking like a fool (I'm no expert, I know this), but sliding my one and only bike across the tarmac when I invariably fall. I'd like to get an SV or something before I venture onto the track.
post #6 of 27 Old 04-02-2004, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain
Confession time: My biggest fear isn't looking like a fool (I'm no expert, I know this), but sliding my one and only bike across the tarmac when I invariably fall. I'd like to get an SV or something before I venture onto the track.
That fear is what keeps you riding w/in your limits and learning. Like the Honda Gal's say "Ride at 80% and focus on technique".

It will change your whole perspecitve on riding. I promise.

HD
post #7 of 27 Old 04-02-2004, 11:43 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Yeah, what HD said. You learn so much about you and your bike on the track. And it doesn't mean you get out there and ride at 100% just because you're on a racetrack. You will fall if you do that. Go out and do 80%, leaving a safety margin like you do on the street, focusing on smoothness and technique. You will learn more doing a few track days than you will riding on the street for years. And, you don't HAVE to fall down.
post #8 of 27 Old 04-02-2004, 11:44 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

I have never been on a track either. But, I really want to. I have seen people think thay are the shitz and pound straight into the wall/hay on the first corner.

Its all about control, and taking your time. Sometimes riding fast, is not fastest.

Team Honda - well sorta...
post #9 of 27 Old 04-02-2004, 11:45 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by showmethebombs
I have never been on a track either. But, I really want to. I have seen people think thay are the shitz and pound straight into the wall/hay on the first corner.

Its all about control, and taking your time. Sometimes riding fast, is not fastest.

"You have to slow down to go fast."
post #10 of 27 Old 04-02-2004, 11:55 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
Yeah, what HD said. You learn so much about you and your bike on the track. And it doesn't mean you get out there and ride at 100% just because you're on a racetrack. You will fall if you do that. Go out and do 80%, leaving a safety margin like you do on the street, focusing on smoothness and technique. You will learn more doing a few track days than you will riding on the street for years. And, you don't HAVE to fall down.

Get out there Chain.

Insignificant Member
post #11 of 27 Old 04-02-2004, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
"You have to slow down to go fast."
Very wise. Great advice.
post #12 of 27 Old 04-02-2004, 12:26 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 32

Congrats on the suspension. It's definitely a good investment. I'll echo what's been said regarding the track. Just because you go to a trackday doesn't mean you have to go banzaii.

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #13 of 27 Old 04-02-2004, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Man, its just like the street, only you see the same corners repeatedly and you work on your technique... Going to the track doesn't mean you HAVE TO go fast... But you will, cause you'll learn SOOO much in one track outing!

I guarantee it!
post #14 of 27 Old 04-02-2004, 1:01 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwilli3
Man, its just like the street, only you see the same corners repeatedly and you work on your technique... Going to the track doesn't mean you HAVE TO go fast... But you will, cause you'll learn SOOO much in one track outing!

I guarantee it!

I wanna go right NOW

Team Honda - well sorta...
post #15 of 27 Old 04-02-2004, 1:27 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the input on the track idea guys and gal, I really do. Right now, however, I want to get back to normal thread programming and revel in the delight of actually having worked on the blue-top-of-the-fork-anti-bongie-thingies yesterday!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page