Coming out of the closet... - Page 2 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 50 Old 04-03-2004, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Coming out of the closet...

Just LOOK at the quads on that Baccy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 50 Old 04-03-2004, 10:04 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavic
Roadie here.....heading to France July 16th to conquer AlpdHuez. 8.9miles averaging 8.4% with max grades of 13%. Local race pics
Here is a pic of me with the biggest win of my 11 year racing career. 120 man field. Haven't raced the bicycle in probably 3 years though. Too bad, I still would love to do it but with work now I couldn't do it half way. It would bug me too much to see all these fools go by me on the climbs that I know I could beat if I put in the proper training. 20 hours a week sucks in the winter time though. It's much easier to just pour some gas in my two wheeled vehicle and go fast.

Oh, I did Alp D'huez in 1996, the year Riis won the tour. It's an over rated climb as most of the riders will tell you. They only rate it so highly because of it's placement in the stage. Usually comes after Mandeline and some other climbs that make it difficult. It's tough in the beginning and there are a few steep pitches at the end near the town but the middle is pretty easy. Just make sure to make that big left turn at the top and don't go straight like Lemond did and like Pantani almost did.

I only stopped shaving my legs last October. Started when I was 15 yrs. old and only grew it out once or twice till now. I turn 28 this year.

-Shrub

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #18 of 50 Old 04-03-2004, 10:18 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to matt232

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan
Is that a sport drink that you have in you hand
I hope bacchus is only drinking his namesake!!

I used to race, road and track, as a junior but then my racing bike became a means of transport rather than competition once I moved to the city. Once I got my baby-blade my pushy didn't see the light of day, until about two months ago when I got back on it to ride about 2kms, I have never been that exhausted or saddle sore (for 4 days afterwards) after a ride. Really should start working on my fitness.

I have never shaved my legs, it all just seemed to much trouble.

Last edited by matt232; 04-03-2004 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 50 Old 04-03-2004, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhip
Here's one with the guy who shaves him...
bwhip, so far you are the winner, hands down (so to speak) . If any of you guys mountain biked in this area you would shave too. It is rare that I don't come home without whapping a cactus of some sort - try tweezing all of those spines out of a very hairy leg! Thanks for the great laughs everyone .

edit: And congratulations WetShrub! I know how difficult it is to win any bike race .

Last edited by Bacchus; 04-03-2004 at 10:29 PM.
post #20 of 50 Old 04-03-2004, 10:43 PM

Sorry I just don't get it. The Shaving the legs thing.

You guys are weird, whats the point, how much faster can it make you go? I think you guys like feeling like a women.

I go mountain bike riding, well not too much anymore, but I never thought of shaving my legs. I would have a 5 o'clock shadow on my legs. How often do you have to shave your legs flamers? Don't you get intchy stuble? Do you shave your pits, and chests too? What about a little heart shaved in your pubes?

What color can does the shaving cream come in... I hope its not pink.

Not trying to make fun of anyone, its your body, just trying to understand why.
post #21 of 50 Old 04-03-2004, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Hello Nick, try reading my last post and try to actually comprehend it this time. Can you say cactus spines, tweezers, lots of hair? Speed has nothing to do with it (with swimmers, yes). It is about removing debris, cleaning wounds, massage, etc. If you actually ever mountain biked, you would understand this .
post #22 of 50 Old 04-03-2004, 11:05 PM

It's cleaner and keeps you cooler.
post #23 of 50 Old 04-03-2004, 11:09 PM

When I use to go mountain biking I would wear pants. Your still weird. I just don't see any good reasons, its too much up keep to shave your legs all the time. I hate shaving my face, I usually only take jobs where I don't have to be clean shaven. I read your last post, still doesn't seem like a good reason for the amount of maintance. How often do you shave? How often do you get stuff stuck in your leg hair?

Not worth looking like woman, but thats just my opinion. Shave on, peddlers!!!

So do you shave your chest too? If so, is there a purpose for that too?
post #24 of 50 Old 04-03-2004, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Only shave my legs once per week, but I'd be willing to shave my chest daily for you, you stud-muffin you!
post #25 of 50 Old 04-03-2004, 11:49 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Ahhhh the shave leg question..........Here is my take........

Step 1: For the rec/amateur rider, you probably do it because that shows a "serious" level of committment. Sort of the reason some people go out and buy full race leathers/boots/gloves but never spend one day at the track. You just feel more part of the group by looking like part of the fast group.

Step 2: You finally become committed enough that you can actually claim some serious road rash. You now how much it sucks to have an ER tech use a bristle brush/scourring pads to remove ground in dirt, pebbles, glass, tar and other filthy road debris. Much like the treatment of a motorcycle crash victim. The hair, if you had any, is only partially removed during your crash and covered with all kinds of stuff. The next step is to have the wound cleaned, flushed and disinfected. Once done there it is time to completely seal the affected area from external infectants. Your hair is a deterent for creating this seal and a possible source of infectants. The dressings they use do "breath" but keep out infection. Without skin, we are very susceptable to infections, thus the reason for many burn victim deaths. So keeping is clean/disinfected is very important. No hair, good seal and less chance of trapping infection in the wound from any thing contained on the hair. Plus it also sucks to pull bandages from skin covered by hair....try it sometime. Crit is about the only one who might find this pleasurable.....that man is crazy but I digress....

Step 3: You are now racing and training like a mad man. Your legs are being tortured several days a week with intervals, hill repeats, sprints and races with 1 or 2 rest days a week. To keep your legs in tip top shape, they need massage therapy 3 or 4 times during these weeks and in between stage events (multi race days). When my massage therapist,Sherry, is putting her 120lbs into my very lactic acid filled legs, the last thing I want to feel is every hair being ripped from my leg....oils or not, it happens. Back to the tape removal....it just doesn't feel good. So you have no real need to do any shaving other than on your legs once you reached level 2 and 3. Maybe the arms but the area affected is much less and probably not as prone to infection. I never worried about my arms and it is evident in the pics.

So this is the same reason Bacchus gave just with more detail. I could probably go on but this should suffice most interested parties.

Can you say 6 in a ROW!!!!
post #26 of 50 Old 04-03-2004, 11:50 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Quick
When I use to go mountain biking I would wear pants. Your still weird. I just don't see any good reasons, its too much up keep to shave your legs all the time. I hate shaving my face, I usually only take jobs where I don't have to be clean shaven. I read your last post, still doesn't seem like a good reason for the amount of maintance. How often do you shave? How often do you get stuff stuck in your leg hair?

Not worth looking like woman, but thats just my opinion. Shave on, peddlers!!!

So do you shave your chest too? If so, is there a purpose for that too?

Try massaging your hairy legs. See how good that feels. Especially after 100 mile bicycle ride. I'd also like to see you ride that long with pants on too...hehe. You'd be cramping, dehydrated, and seriously road rashed before the half way mark.

See how fast your road rash heals from crashes with hairy legs collecting dirt and the wound itself getting hair caught in it.

Try pulling off bandages with sticky tape on it. See how much hair comes off.

Wind tunnel tests have shown that shaved legs can save you 5 seconds over a 25 mile time trial as well. May not sound like much but it can mean a win or a loss.

Cyclists don't do it for no reason. If it didn't help, then they wouldn't do it. Just chalk it up to ignorance on your part Nick. How about body builders? Think they look like women? They shave their whole bodies.

When I shaved it would be Fridays before the race weekend and that was all. Every girl I have ever been with liked it too. They hated it when I would stop shaving. They said it looked cleaner and felt better. Less friction...

-Shrub

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #27 of 50 Old 04-03-2004, 11:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to Will

You have no shame
post #28 of 50 Old 04-04-2004, 12:03 AM

Full Time Trial Gear.....

As shrub stated....the TT or race of truth is all about aero and speed.

Can you say 6 in a ROW!!!!

Last edited by Mavic; 11-18-2008 at 11:07 PM.
post #29 of 50 Old 04-04-2004, 12:32 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetShrub
shaved legs can save you 5 seconds over a 25 mile time trial as well.-Shrub
I wonder if it can save me any time on that damn exercise bike at the gym! Hell if that's the case I'd even start shaving my back too.

I'm not even supposed to be here. I'm just "Crewman Number Six." I'm expendable! I'm the guy in the episode who dies to prove how serious the situation is! I've gotta get outta here!

BigDaddyJ.com

Last edited by BigDaddyJ; 04-04-2004 at 12:33 AM.
post #30 of 50 Old 04-04-2004, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Mavic, WetShrub, thanks for watching my back . You guys put it much more eloquently than I did. Nick, do you yet understand why we do this?!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page