Thoughts on the Interceptor? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-03-2003, 1:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Re: Thoughts on the Interceptor?

I'm thinking of getting a new 2003 Interceptor when I get back for long trips. A few questions for previous/current owners. Comfort, is it really a ride all day type of bike? If anyone has the optional saddlebags, how much can they hold? How much wind protection does it give. I want to start making some long multi-day solo trips and the RC is far from a comfy all day bike. Before anyone says, 'It's too heavy,' or 'It's too slow,' that's not exactly what I'm looking for, I've got the fiddy-one for that kind of riding. I don't want a full on sport-tourer, I think there's an age limit to buy one of those, and at 21, I think I'm far from it (no offense to the older riders).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-03-2003, 1:34 AM

Reputation Power: 0

I had one, Baketech has one, Holeshot and a few others as well. You won't be disappointed. We give a lot of sh1t to the new one (03/04 model) because it has chain driven cams and VTEC but it's a great bike. It should do what you want to a t. It is an all day bike, one that can corner well and the V4 exhaust growl is awesome.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-03-2003, 3:30 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 19

Thanks, that's pretty much what I wanted to know, can't wait to test ride one when I get back....only 30 days left, phew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-03-2003, 7:16 AM

I saw one w/ what I think was a wolf 4 into 4 exhaust a couple weeks ago. Man that thing looked and sounded MEAN! It was like 'What the heck is that!?!?!' I literally turned around to find out. Very, very cool. All silver was sweet looking.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-03-2003, 7:50 AM

Reputation Power: 42

The VFR is exactly what the mags say....a great all around bike. There is also an excellent community of riders, and web resources....a big plus in my book.

Honda makes 2 great SPORT/Tour bikes...the VFR and the XX. If you are looking for big 'electric motor' power and or 2-up riding the XX is a better choice. Even though the handling is a bit more sporting, the VFR offers slightly more open ergos....ie less aggressive seating position, as the peg to seat distance is a bit bigger. I've ridden them back to back, and it is noticeable, although not a big problem...

I can't comment too much on the VTEC (03) model. I have only ridden it once, and my opinion of the VTEC system is still out.....
That said, it was a bit more nimble than my 99 model even though its a bit heavier....

The VFR kicks ass for multi-day trips, and is the perfect companion to my 929 that I use for track days and sporting day rides. I've had the VFR on the track a few times, and it is fairly capable, but a bit more work to ride swiftly....

In the twisties, a VFR is a capable fun machine, if this bike becomes the factor keeping you from holding the pace....you are probably riding too fast on the street, get thee to a track...

For me its all about the V4 motor....if Honda ever makes another sporting V4, I'll trade in the CBR....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #6 of 11 Old 06-03-2003, 8:48 AM
CRU

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Baketech : ....I can't comment too much on the VTEC (03) model. I have only ridden it once, and my opinion of the VTEC system is still out.....
I got a buddy who works at a Honda dealer. He took one out the other day for a little demo. He said the sucker jumps when you cross 7K on the tach.

All in all, the bike has a great motor. It's a heavy bitch, though. Plus the suspension could use some work. Throw on a aftermarket seat and a set of heli's and your loving life.

Confucius say, "Foolish man give wife piano. Wise man give wife upright organ."
post #7 of 11 Old 06-03-2003, 9:05 AM

I think the bike has a closed loop system in it...and it comes with a converter for all states.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-03-2003, 9:07 AM

Quote:
figment : I think the bike has a closed loop system in it...and it comes with a converter for all states.
Is it? If so, then thats cool...
post #9 of 11 Old 06-03-2003, 9:22 AM

VFR's are cool. The sound alone is a plenty good reason to have one. I really liked mine but the allure of more power (I did manage to get a 113HP out of it after a lot of work) drew me to trade it.

There were only a couple of downsides for me. On last year's 7 day 3500 mile tour the brakes went taco on me. :/ I also noticed I was less fatigued after 500 miles on the CBR than the VFR.

But it's also got a lot longer range and slabbing is no big deal on the VFR (did 970 in one day) unlike the CBR where something about slabbing on that bike makes me want to wack the trottle wide open to make it interesting again.

If Honda does a light V4/V5 bike in the VFR or other config I'll be back, that's for certain!

My pal has Staintune cans on his 02 and man that thing sounds so sweet! Looks pretty sharp too (the entire package, not just the cans - I know I have a picture here somewhere.. just need to find it).

I don't think you will be disappointed at all in the bike, espite how much crap I give VFR riders everywhere else on the net. Those that know me know my true allegances.

If I still had one, I'd let you check it out.

- D (owner of the now defunct RC46.COM)
post #10 of 11 Old 06-03-2003, 9:38 AM

To me, the VFR didn't seem much more comfy than the 954 with Helis on it. A few months back when I was looking for my MIA 954 replacement, I compared the 954, VFR, ST1300, and FJR1300.

I came to the conclusion that out of all those, the VFR made the least sense, because a) it wasn't as sporty as the 954 or as comfy as the ST/FJR b) with luggage added, cost just a little less than the non-ABS ST or the normal FJR (which BTW adds ABS this year and still costs less than the non-ABS ST) c) wasn't nearly as tour-worthy as either the ST or the FJR. In the end, I was having a very hard time deciding between a new 954 and an ST, but having a 954 dropped in my lap for cheap dispelled all that.

Now I have a fairly tour-worthy 954, and am very happy with my choice.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-03-2003, 9:54 AM

I hear ya. I had converted my 9'er to an ST capable machine and was ready to do the Seca trip on it. I found it less fatiging to ride LD on it than the VFR but the slabs seemed more annoying on the CBR.

I'll probably need tracktion after this year's trip but screw it. I've got to find out just how much of a *rider* I really am.

- DH (33 days, 22 hours until departure)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page