DELL - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 06-03-2003, 9:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: DELL

Do not buy from Dell.

The products are good at decent prices and discounts are readily available.

HOWEVER - their customer suppost SUCKS, SWALLOWS, and BLOWS all at the same time.
I was on the phone with them for 3.5 hours today and last night. I was hung up on twice - once after a 75 minute wait. Not to sound racist - but, No person I spkoke to either day was American. They wre Phillipino, Panamanian, and Indian. Not a single one of them understood the outrage I had for the reps hanging up on me. Not one of them tried to make it better by an apology or discount of the products - EVEN after i threatened to send my new system back. In short - they did not understand the value of a customer and the power of the word (spreading the bad poop on them to my fellow bikers, geeks, and boozers)

If anybody knows anybody that works at Dell Corporate - I would like to hear from you - as I want to file an official complaint against the people who hung up on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-03-2003, 10:18 PM

Reputation Power: 22

WWW.BBB.COM! I have never need to call dells tech support. And hell, I even got a free 15' LCD mon. from them cuz they screwed up

Life is Good, Life is Great
post #3 of 21 Old 06-03-2003, 10:37 PM

Reputation Power: 50

I have a rep for Dell through work. If you would like his contact info I'd be more then happy to PM it to ya. His name's Mike(he's American)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 06-04-2003, 12:32 AM

'Duuuude, your gettin' a Dell' - NOT! When I was shopping some months ago I gave Dell 3, count them, 3 shots. Every time I called I was told different prices, shipping info, etc. Two of the three reps did not even mention an existing rebate. Fook them! I ended up ordering from ABS Computers. They have several base configurations, and from there I could choose from several options on all parts, everything from CPU to tower. The one time I have had to call them I didn't wait all that long, and the tech was most helpful (although not American ). Hope ya get it sorted out - me, I would send the POS back.
post #5 of 21 Old 06-04-2003, 1:40 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to glory452

dude i just build mine myself...you know exactly what you're getting and what kind of performance you can expect. And you don't have to worry about all that prebundled software crap they give u.
post #6 of 21 Old 06-04-2003, 6:30 AM

Quote:
glory452 : dude i just build mine myself...you know exactly what you're getting and what kind of performance you can expect. *And you don't have to worry about all that prebundled software crap they give u.
Been doing that for the last 8 years, every single PC I've built still runs, and still have all of them.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-04-2003, 6:50 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Buy my computer from me when I get back , built it myself, I'll even give you tech support for free!
post #8 of 21 Old 06-04-2003, 7:37 AM

I have a client that is an all Dell (at the desktop) shop. They have a large room filled with dead stations that they rotate out the door (as Dell won't accept more than 20 units per shipment due to their agreement). This office has approximately 400 users and at any point in time during the past 24 months, I have yet to see less than 60 dead machines in this room and sometimes over 100. They have 2 full time staffers that do nothing but pack up and ship Dell equipment back for repair.

Exponential growth in a short period of time isn't always a good thing . . .
post #9 of 21 Old 06-04-2003, 8:06 AM

Wow, that's something abtech! I have about 250 Dell machines and 13-14 servers and rarely have a hardware problem!
post #10 of 21 Old 06-04-2003, 8:24 AM
CRU

Reputation Power: 18

Not to come to the defense of Dell, but in a lot of cases the tech support you receive from them is not actually from Dell themselves. They subcontract this out to companies. There is one such company near me called Convergys. They are also a call center for Gateway.

To make a long story short, this place will hire just about anyone to answer calls. I knew a couple of guys that worked there. Not exactly the best and brightest of the bunch. So the fact that all this happened to you is not really a surprise.

Confucius say, "Foolish man give wife piano. Wise man give wife upright organ."
post #11 of 21 Old 06-04-2003, 8:41 AM

I had to call 'Dell Support' one time and the person hardly spoke english and didn't understand what I was saying.

The only reason I got a Dell was because the University has a contract with them and staff gets discounts.

We can buy full versions of XP OS, XP office and other software for $8.00 instead of $300 retail.
post #12 of 21 Old 06-04-2003, 9:45 AM

I'll chime in here too...

I recently had my Dell mother board crap out on me. I called tech support and spoke with a woman and we went through troubleshooting hardware. Anyway, I was told to call another # to set up a service call since the problem was apparently a hardware issue. So, I called the service center (a subcontractor) the next business day to set up an appt. That same day, I also got a call from a service tech telling me that he could be at my house that afternoon. The tech was totally prepared with all parts that had to be replaced. I was impressed with the promptness of getting things resolved.

Now, another Dell story...I ordered two PDA's from them. One was sent to me and the other was not. I called to find out what the problem was and was told that it was on backorder but a shipment was scheduled to arrive any day. Ok, so no problem. After a week of calls to at least 5 other folks including a sales rep, no one could tell me why my order was being delayed. Sounded to me like total laziness since they kept telling me to call back. Anyway, I finally got that order canceled (after more phone calls and empty promises) and reordered. Wouldn't you know that the re-order got to me in a few days...same model too. I just don't understand how some people operate. Unfortunately, it seems that we have to weed through the incompetent folks to get to the ones that are worthwhile.
post #13 of 21 Old 06-04-2003, 1:25 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Quote:
abtech : I have a client that is an all Dell (at the desktop) shop. *They have a large room filled with dead stations that they rotate out the door (as Dell won't accept more than 20 units per shipment due to their agreement). *This office has approximately 400 users and at any point in time during the past 24 months, I have yet to see less than 60 dead machines in this room and sometimes over 100. *They have 2 full time staffers that do nothing but pack up and ship Dell equipment back for repair.

Exponential growth in a short period of time isn't always a good thing . . .
Hmmm, that's funny, we've got about 110 Dell workstations on the ship, at any given moments, no less than 12-15 are down
post #14 of 21 Old 06-04-2003, 2:04 PM

Reputation Power: 18

So what brand is recommended for those of us that can't build our own? I have a Compac (don't laugh) and have had a few problems so I won't go back.

Craig
post #15 of 21 Old 06-04-2003, 2:19 PM

For those of us that could build our own, where is the best place to buy components, and what is the best way to insure compatibility of those components?

HD

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page