Now that a cop is involved... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-04-2003, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Now that a cop is involved...

Just saw on the news, an update to this motoercycle death story . A police officer has been suspended until an investigation is complete. According to the news story on tv an Omaha Police officer was participating in the stunting by following in a corvette and running one of the cameras filming the squids. When fellow officers arrived at the scene of 'squid death' he falsified reports of his involvement. He told them that he arrived after the accident. I am looking for a link but the local news seems to be placing this story at the bottom of the pile somewhere. It's funny how story after story on how to report reckless driving etc. now I can't find anymore info. Sorry chain don't mean to step on toes. Can you enlighten us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-04-2003, 12:30 AM

sounds fishy to me...
post #3 of 16 Old 06-04-2003, 2:00 AM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot

Where is that Squid Chain at?? Looks like you'll have plenty of time off work to go to the Hoot....
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-04-2003, 7:21 AM

Longer video of the event here.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-04-2003, 9:10 AM

Of course, Bigkid's talking about this thread. And don't worry about it 'kid, you're not stepping on my toes in the least.

Anyway, my thoughts...

The officer charged is a 9-month probationary recruit in my agency. The Sheriff's Department has charged him for providing allegedly false information to Sheriff's accident investigators who were at the scene (the accident occurred outside the city limits, for those not familiar with Omaha and surrounding areas).

There will be two simultaneous investigations; the criminal inquiry (born of the charges levied by the Sheriff's Office and the subsequent trial that seems likely to take place) as well as an in-house internal review here. The recruit officer will have to beat the criminal charge in court and be able to mount a defense internally that he didn't break any departmental rules of conduct. My gut tells me he's not long for this world, which is unfortunate because he seemed like a squared away guy. That said, he made his bed and did not demonstrate good judgement in being out there with 30 or 40 idiot squids. And lying to investigating officers, if proven true, is inexcusable.

Worse yet is what this event spells for the sportbiking community in the Omaha area. In a kneejerk reaction, local LE agencies are vowing a dragnet this summer, one to target what ignorant police administrators are calling 'racer rockets' ... people will see the bright plastic, hear the growl of I4 and 90-degree v-twin engines, and automatically assume the rider is out raise hell. Insurance underwriters who live here and have seen the coverage are no doubt panicking, and the public is being asked to call 911 from their cell phones when they see motorcycles like ours being ridden aggressively.

Times like this cause me some real pause - I don't like being cast in same group as mouth-breathing squids who take over a public road and wind up killing one of their own. I fear things like this will lead me away from plastic ensconced machines for my next motorcycle purchase.

post #6 of 16 Old 06-04-2003, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Pulse : Longer video of the event here.
That video was part of my initial post in the first thread on this topic, FYI. Here's the latest bit of news from the local fishwrap ----> Omaha World-Herald
post #7 of 16 Old 06-04-2003, 9:17 AM

Chain, just get an XX with hard luggage and the uninformed will think you're just an old guy on a GoldWing.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-04-2003, 9:22 AM

Quote:
ConqSoft : Chain, just get an XX with hard luggage and the uninformed will think you're just an old guy on a GoldWing.
Aack, don't be swayed by the Dark Side, Chain!

Conq has a good point, though. Hell, even taking off some of that plastic (nekkid 954 ) would help...
post #9 of 16 Old 06-04-2003, 9:27 AM

Quote:
ConqSoft : Chain, just get an XX with hard luggage and the uninformed will think you're just an old guy on a GoldWing.
Conq, one of my good friends is a sales manager for a local motorcycle dealership. He's 42 or so, rides a silver VFR, and feels like he's given the 'up-down' by cagers at every stoplight. For all the average ignoramus knows, he's a 20 year old squid riding an XYZ1200-RR.

This whole thing just plain sucks.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-04-2003, 9:32 AM

Quote:
2OHOH2954 : Conq has a good point, though. Hell, even taking off some of that plastic (nekkid 954 ) would help...
Isn't that funny? When I owned my V-Max, people outside the sport didn't give me a second look, figuring I was just another joe on a cruiser. Yet the big 1200cc v-four was a very powerful motorcycle that didn't suffer fools lightly.

A friend of mine just bought a new 2003 FZ-1 with the Kenny Roberts black/yellow paint job. It's a super nice bike with very sensible ergos. After an Ivans jet kit and Yoshi TRS exhaust was added to the R1 derived five-valve engine, his bike is hammering out in excess of 130 rwhp. Yet his insurance company doesn't hit him with a punitive 'superbike' surcharge because it's a 'standard' - lol!
post #11 of 16 Old 06-04-2003, 9:35 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Chain : Quote (ConqSoft @ June 04 2003, 9:17am)Chain, just get an XX with hard luggage and the uninformed will think you're just an old guy on a GoldWing.
Conq, one of my good friends is a sales manager for a local motorcycle dealership. He's 42 or so, rides a silver VFR, and feels like he's given the 'up-down' by cagers at every stoplight. For all the average ignoramus knows, he's a 20 year old squid riding an XYZ1200-RR.

This whole thing just plain sucks.
Unfortunately, I don't think things will improve. They may calm down a bit over time, but now that a local high-profile event has brought awareness to the masses, the damage is done.

A few of us were pulled over in TX about this time last year and some moron walks almost 1/4 mile just to 'congratulate' the cops for pulling us over and that all sportbikers are a menace to society... I wanted to cockpunch that self-righteous, arrogant pr!ck for inflating his own ego and telling us off through the LEOs when he knew we were in a situation where we couldn't talk back to him.

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Post-blade
post #12 of 16 Old 06-04-2003, 10:30 AM

I agree with ya'll, this isn't going to be good. I'm well removed from this, particular issue but it's only a matter of time before something like that happens here.

Sadly, it's because of this that I hardly ever group ride anymore, I don't go to any of the best spots and I go out of my way to leave the area before I ride. To many people with to little common sense causing issues.

As for the post above...I don't think I would have let the cop stop me from responding. I would have been polite, to a point but would have informed the jerk that grouping all bikers in one large set is like me including him in the local KKK org(if he were white), or something similar. Would i have gotten in a fight with him? Nope. But I can't stand stupid people.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-04-2003, 2:30 PM

I talked with Bigkid on the phone this morning. Now I'm thinking... (scary, I know)...

...as I sit here and take in the latest news and associated fallout over the stunting death, I find myself strangely protective of my sportbike all of a sudden. I'm actually quite incensed at some of the reporting going on, as well as the public outcry in sundry television news spot interviews, you know, 'the man on the street' shite. Local law enforcement leaders are showing gross ignorance as well, and I feel a the kindling of what just might be a public response to the local newspaper's opinion pages. Maybe it's the result of being editor of our police union's monthly newspaper for four years, but there is way too much broad-brushing going on here and I'm considering a reply.

I do not want to pay the price for one squid's mistake.

post #14 of 16 Old 07-16-2003, 3:58 PM

I thought I'd post a follow-up comment now that the case against the accused has run its course.

The cop got fired. And rightly so.

LINK
post #15 of 16 Old 07-16-2003, 4:00 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Chain : LINK
Holy pop-ups, Batman!

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Post-blade

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page