I'm Back - Dubai Review - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 1 Post By nigelrb
  • 1 Post By IanDoohan
  • 1 Post By nigelrb
  • 1 Post By Ornerybear

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-10-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
I'm Back - Dubai Review

First up, don't go there in summer. I thought, having endured Australian heat for many years that I'd be able to handle anything, but ****, that is one HOT place!! Rarely below 30 overnight and reaching 46 on a couple of days I was there. Humidity compounds the problem. On later advice, the best time to go is mid-October to Feb/March.

It must be one of the most ostentatious cities in the world. Seems as if it has all been built overnight (and it effectively has) but also it seems as if architects had competed in a 'design the craziest building' competition. There are some weird structures there.

The bling continues into granite-paved footpaths and pedestrian crossings. Cheap Asian labour keeps the city pristine; I never saw a dropped cigarette butt or even gum or bird crap on the ground. No cars under 3 years old (it seemed) and not a large bike in sight, although many 250s race around with pizza and Uber Eats hot boxes on the back.

Segregation is like USA's racial uprising where the front portion of trains and buses is for women and children only. Women receive no favours from men in the other parts of transport for I saw no man stand for a women - save for one Indian guy who must have been new there, OR, had better manners than everyone else.

Road network is brilliant, as one would expect for a 'new' country. 140 kph limit on some freeways!

All water is processed from sea via desalination plants. Supposed to be okay to drink, but I'm a tad wary of that.
Attached Thumbnails
20190904_142100.jpg‎   20190904_194258.jpg‎   20190906_165501.jpg‎   20190906_165715.jpg‎  

20190901_202542.jpg‎  
IanDoohan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-10-2019, 11:43 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: I'm Back - Dubai Review

That's pretty amazing Nigel. I made it to Scotland once back in '87 (I think I was 15), my dad was born in Glasgow. That's about as far east as I've ever gone from the states. Seems like an entirely different world in Dubai. I couldn't imagine more humidity than what we get here in the summer on the east coast.....and 46 seems pretty chilly by US standards
nigelrb likes this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 6 Old 09-13-2019, 3:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
First up, don't go there in summer. I thought, having endured Australian heat for many years that I'd be able to handle anything, but ****, that is one HOT place!! Rarely below 30 overnight and reaching 46 on a couple of days I was there. Humidity compounds the problem. On later advice, the best time to go is mid-October to Feb/March.

It must be one of the most ostentatious cities in the world. Seems as if it has all been built overnight (and it effectively has) but also it seems as if architects had competed in a 'design the craziest building' competition. There are some weird structures there.

The bling continues into granite-paved footpaths and pedestrian crossings. Cheap Asian labour keeps the city pristine; I never saw a dropped cigarette butt or even gum or bird crap on the ground. No cars under 3 years old (it seemed) and not a large bike in sight, although many 250s race around with pizza and Uber Eats hot boxes on the back.

Segregation is like USA's racial uprising where the front portion of trains and buses is for women and children only. Women receive no favours from men in the other parts of transport for I saw no man stand for a women - save for one Indian guy who must have been new there, OR, had better manners than everyone else.

Road network is brilliant, as one would expect for a 'new' country. 140 kph limit on some freeways!

All water is processed from sea via desalination plants. Supposed to be okay to drink, but I'm a tad wary of that.
Thank you, Nigel. I have seen the sponsorship on MotoGP bikes, but had no idea what "Pull&Bear" was ..... I didn't want to type it into Google and have that on my internet search history. Now I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-14-2019, 3:39 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan893 View Post
Thank you, Nigel. I have seen the sponsorship on MotoGP bikes, but had no idea what "Pull&Bear" was .....
I was exactly the same. I never took the time to check but merely assumed it was a Spanish brewery or distillery. I was floored when I merely chanced upon the shop. Naturally, I scored a souvenir at a far lesser cost than the MM93 licenced 'rip off' products. I now see that we have a few of their shops in UK.
Attached Thumbnails
20190907_215713.jpg‎  
Duncan893 likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-14-2019, 4:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
I was exactly the same. I never took the time to check but merely assumed it was a Spanish brewery or distillery. I was floored when I merely chanced upon the shop. Naturally, I scored a souvenir at a far lesser cost than the MM93 licenced 'rip off' products. I now see that we have a few of their shops in UK.
Along similar lines ...... I was somewhat taken aback by the "A-style" logo - who were lead sponsor at the Dutch TT one year - it turns out they are an Italian clothing manufacturer ...... I just thought that I was ..er?.. seeing something but it turned out that it was intentional.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-17-2019, 4:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Thank you for taking the time to write your report!
I can`t wait to experience Dubai.
nigelrb likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page