Another ticket on Friday night - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 Old 04-19-2004, 8:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 34

Send a message via AIM to Heavy-Dee
Another ticket on Friday night

Was curising following a car throught the turns going south on rt 44 in Newbury (for you locals). My friend had passed a car before we got to the turns and went through them not fast, but speeding. I was stuck behind the car, and wasn't going to pass on a double yellow after my ticket last year.

Well it was dark, and another car was following me, real close. I almost pulled over and let them go by. I didn't see an obvious place to stop, and since they were following so close I didn't want to hit the breaks. So when I got to a passing zone, I went around the car in front. It was a totally safe pass, accept that I (allegedly) failed to use my turn signal.

Well, the officer wasn't running radar or he could have probably gotten me for speeding too, but who doesn't speed to make pass?

Well, I'm fighting this one. It just sucks. I was super polite, and tried to give the officer a positive interaction w/ the motorcycle community. After he gave me the ticket I tried with little success to explain the difference between me and the Star Boyz wannabe's. At the end I wished him a good night and told him to "be safe".

Oh, and he was trying to get me to tell him "who my friend" was. But I didn't, and he didn't push it.

Again, this sort of thing makes me not want to ride on the street.

HD

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
Suomy Helmets | RK Chain | PowerStands | LeoVince
SponsorHouse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 04-19-2004, 8:41 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: Another ticket on Friday night

So what'd he get you for? The turn signal?

BTW, got your message, I was out at Norwalk, another buddy called me up so I went to make a few passes.
post #3 of 63 Old 04-19-2004, 8:47 AM

Reputation Power: 28

Sorry to hear it Heavy. While the guy was simply doing his job, I wish you wouldn't have gotten the ticket and I praise you for your polite conduct and wishing the officer a safe night. A cop is killed in the line of duty about every 60 hours in America and your sentiments are appreciated.

Come ride with me in Omaha anytime. I'm on a personal crusade to educate, not ticket, sportbikers. Been about a decade now since I actually wrote one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 Old 04-19-2004, 8:48 AM

Reputation Power: 20

So it was the cop who was following you closely? I hate it when they pull so close (tailgate) and basically intimidate you while running your tags. I never pass at night when someone's vehicle could be the law. Then again, I rarely ride at night.
post #5 of 63 Old 04-19-2004, 8:51 AM Thread Starter

Yea, I know that he was only doing his job. I feel like he was following me close to push me to do something stupid. I guess he got what he wanted. I also think he was pissed when he got out of the car. So I was screwed from the get go.

ND4SPD, the ticket was for failing to use my turn signal when passing.

HD

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
SponsorHouse
post #6 of 63 Old 04-19-2004, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-Dee
ND4SPD, the ticket was for failing to use my turn signal when passing.

HD
No offense to any of our finest, but that's
post #7 of 63 Old 04-19-2004, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
No offense to any of our finest, but that's
On an emotional level, I agree.

OTOH, I've seen a few wicked accidents from the lack of turn signal use.

Finally, I would NOT have written him, for the record.

You guys need to move to Omaha. We'll all group ride, speed around together, and do trackdays at MAM.
post #8 of 63 Old 04-19-2004, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain
OTOH, I've seen a few wicked accidents from the lack of turn signal use.
Definitely agreed on that. I always use mine in my truck, and the same on the bike. Lately I've been getting into the habit of using hand signals on the bike, turn signal or not. People will pay much more attention to a hand signal, whether they know what it means or not.
post #9 of 63 Old 04-19-2004, 9:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Definitely agreed on that. I always use mine in my truck, and the same on the bike. Lately I've been getting into the habit of using hand signals on the bike, turn signal or not. People will pay much more attention to a hand signal, whether they know what it means or not.
I too have been using hand signals, however, passing on a two lane road...I don't see the value. Either way, I was riding w/ my left hand on my knee before I made the pass. When I shifted from my knee to the clip on I easily could have made a hand gesture that said officer didn't see b/c he was busy running my plates or whatever.

HD

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
SponsorHouse
post #10 of 63 Old 04-19-2004, 9:27 AM

Y'know, it sucks - sportbike riders are typically viewed as troublemakers and traffic law breakers by the law enforcement community. I've seen it first hand and dislike it very much. It very well may be that the officer was following you Dee, figuring if he watched you long enough you'd do a wheelie or stoppie or something. I mean, ALL sportbikers do that stuff, right?

A perhaps interesting anecdote: I don't know if I told you guys this or not, but awhile back I got into it with a lieutenant on the job. He was running a radar assignment on the slab in town. Had about four other cruisers with him. Anyway, a kid on a ZX-7R came by at 120 (in a 60). The kid saw what was sitting on the side of the road and he pulled over and waited for the black-and-white which he knew would be coming. Well, the LT had his bike towed and the rider booked into jail for willful reckless driving.

My contention was a speeding ticket was appropriate (he was double over in traffic after all), but by putting a hook on the bike and booking the kid into jail, the LT had just ensured a flight situation next time the young guy was out riding and went past a police officer. I was really aggravated, but I've got a mere three stripes on my sleeves. The LT called them, and raised me two bars (translation: I lost).

Anyway, I just detest that sportbikers are viewed as a blanket menace. It's not all the cops' fault though - stunnas (IMO) ruin it for everyone and cause alot of the broadbrushing that goes on.

A final note: You'd be amazed at the difference in attetion I gather between riding the 954 last year and the naked, upright FZ this season. Cops barely pay attention to me now. And I still got ~130 hp to play with.

Ride naked, ride anonymously?

Last edited by Chain; 04-19-2004 at 9:27 AM.
post #11 of 63 Old 04-19-2004, 9:35 AM

Quote:
My contention was a speeding ticket was appropriate (he was double over in traffic after all), but by putting a hook on the bike and booking the kid into jail, the LT had just ensured a flight situation next time the young guy was out riding and went past a police officer. I was really aggravated, but I've got a mere three stripes on my sleeves. The LT called them, and raised me two bars (translation: I lost).

If I had to guess he knew you were right, but his pride wouldn't let him listen to a mere sargeant so he pulled rank
post #12 of 63 Old 04-19-2004, 9:42 AM

Quote:
If I had to guess he knew you were right, but his pride wouldn't let him listen to a mere sargeant so he pulled rank
You're probably right bud, but I won't let him off that easy. I've had several occasions where subordinate officers have approached me with an idea, or even an issue with a directive I've given. While police agencies aren't democracies, I listen and am known to change my mind if presented with a better plan of action. As a consequence, I honestly believe my guys would follow me into a burning building if called upon to do so. It's called leadership, a quality that people don't necessarily possess just because they get promoted.

But now I'm taking off on a whole nuther subject and I don't mean to be a , so I'll shut up....
post #13 of 63 Old 04-19-2004, 9:47 AM

Quote:
It's called leadership, a quality that people don't necessarily possess just because they get promoted.
Right. The opposite is SDS
post #14 of 63 Old 04-19-2004, 9:49 AM

Huh?
post #15 of 63 Old 04-19-2004, 9:50 AM

Reputation Power: 24

Quote:
Why? You dont know if anyone is ever behind you

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page