Got a new (okay, new to ME) car... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-20-2004, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
TAZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ
Got a new (okay, new to ME) car...

...and it's a Honda at heart!

So as to avoid racking up 15 mpg, smog-producing miles in my recently-aquired Suburban, I just bought a '95 Acura Integra GSR with 132K on the clock to use as a beater/daily-driver. It has belonged to my buddy Mike since new, and it's in pretty good shape for a 9 year old car. After he paid it off several years back, he began modding it a little. On Saturday, we're removing...the turbo (...because I can't justify the ~$6K cost of that little add-on on a $3500 car). But in the meantime, I've got a few days to play with it as-is. Currently, it runs mid 13's in the 1/4, and with H&K springs it handles really well, too. Lots of fun to drive (especially back-to-back with a big old Burb...) - it's like a big go-kart. With the turbo (running at just 9 pounds of boost), it's nearly as quick as my LS1 Z28 was, except it ALSO handles pretty good.

Even without the turbo, it should still be respectable for a 30-mpg cage; it has a full J-spec exhaust, short-ram intake, upgraded fuel rail and pump, limited-slip diff, short(er)-throw shifter (the stock one was already plenty short), Skunk 2 intake, valve springs, etc. etc...

Another cool thing is the stereo; Mike left me a sweet Sony combo with a nearly-new CD/MP3 head unit and a ten-disc changer, a badazz pair of ($450) Boston Acoustics component speakers up front, a JL Audio 10" sub, and a Sony 4/5 channel amp. I never messed around with MP3's before, but apparently you can create them with less compression, in which case you can still fit ~10 full albums full of material on a single disc, but the audio quality is a lot better than the "typical" MP3 file. Anyone have any feedback on what MP3 software I should try?

Besides doing my daily ~50 mile commute and weekly trips to my client site (for my "real job") in the car, I think I'll try some autocross. I've been covering some autocross (photos, that is...for the local SCCA and Porsche clubs), and it looks like a great time. Apparently a modded GSR would run in "D Street Prepared", and would supposedly be a very competitive car in that class.

What say you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-20-2004, 12:06 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ccwilli3 Send a message via Yahoo to ccwilli3
Re: Got a new (okay, new to ME) car...

GSR's rock the house...

VEE DUBB in da house... representin deutchland!
post #3 of 17 Old 04-20-2004, 12:24 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Can't go wrong with a Honda!! Sounds like a very nice setup!! My sister still has her 91 Integra as their second car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-20-2004, 1:26 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
running at just 9 pounds of boost
JUST 9 pounds?! From what I've seen, unless you build up the internals, thats about all those little fours can handle.

Congrats though, those are rock solid cars!
post #5 of 17 Old 04-20-2004, 1:45 PM

Reputation Power: 17

I'm only running 9 pounds with a built B18C. Had all sorts of detonation issues. It's a great AutoX car, cheap and fun. Good luck with it!
post #6 of 17 Old 04-20-2004, 2:07 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Noyz
JUST 9 pounds?! From what I've seen, unless you build up the internals, thats about all those little fours can handle.

Congrats though, those are rock solid cars!
6psi is usually considered safe on most stock internals. 9's nothing. Doesn't get interesting 'til it gets up to 12+
post #7 of 17 Old 04-20-2004, 2:16 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
6psi is usually considered safe on most stock internals. 9's nothing. Doesn't get interesting 'til it gets up to 12+
Yep. The only turbo kits that you can get for my car come set at 6psi with a letter from the manufacturer STRONGLY recommending you don't set it any higher without internal mods.

12psi in a little 1.8 liter would be interesting. Likely be a hell of a ride until it goes kaboom!!
post #8 of 17 Old 04-20-2004, 2:25 PM Thread Starter
TAZ

It has a stock bottom end, but beefier (ARP?) stud bolts and top end. Matters little as the turbo is going away. A shame; it's really fun as it is.

Ah well. I'll just keep reminding myself that 30 mpg is good.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-20-2004, 2:31 PM

so what is so bad about keeping the turbo in? I mean, it's basically free power. If you want to save a little bit of gas, change your driving style.

Be fast or be last.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-20-2004, 2:37 PM Thread Starter
TAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiliat
so what is so bad about keeping the turbo in? I mean, it's basically free power. If you want to save a little bit of gas, change your driving style.
Ah...sorry - let me clarify: I agreed to buy the car for $3500 without the turbo. The original owner will remove it and sell it to recoup some of his investment (and surely to begin hot-rodding his new ride, a VW Passat 1.8T with 4Motion). Apparently, my price for the Integra WITH the turbo would have been about 3x more...if it was included for $3500 (or even another $1500 or so), I'd keep it for sure.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-20-2004, 2:46 PM

Gary Gardella runs 28PSI in his Honda. It either lasts for 1 second or 9 depending on the launch. I would spin tires in 3rd, I can imagine what more boost will do. Hopewfully that car will be back on the road next year, I want to rebuild my Corrado first.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-20-2004, 3:34 PM

Reputation Power: 18

I had a G60 Corrado running about 16-18psi with a not so stock g-ladder. Made good power but alas, my EIP limited slip was not too happy with that. Full EIP 2.0 stroker kit with modded 1.8 16v head (flowed better than the 2L 16v head). Car was great. Spent some time auto-x'ing that thing. Popped the tranny and the diff wanted to look outside of the tranny case. Wasn't pretty.

Never did get it dyno'd but figured it to be about 350hp to the wheels or so. Talk about torque steer.

Last edited by BigDawg; 04-20-2004 at 3:35 PM.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-20-2004, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ
Ah...sorry - let me clarify: I agreed to buy the car for $3500 without the turbo. The original owner will remove it and sell it to recoup some of his investment (and surely to begin hot-rodding his new ride, a VW Passat 1.8T with 4Motion). Apparently, my price for the Integra WITH the turbo would have been about 3x more...if it was included for $3500 (or even another $1500 or so), I'd keep it for sure.
Well it sounds like a fun ride with it. Too bad about the cost though. I have a little 2001 1.8T Golf GTI, and love the sound of the turbo spooling up. I don't have much mods, just chipped, mind you.

Even then, for $3500, it's a good price for the car, especially w/ all the stereo. I wish my friends would be that generous to me.

Be fast or be last.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-20-2004, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg
I had a G60 Corrado running about 16-18psi with a not so stock g-ladder. Made good power but alas, my EIP limited slip was not too happy with that. Full EIP 2.0 stroker kit with modded 1.8 16v head (flowed better than the 2L 16v head). Car was great. Spent some time auto-x'ing that thing. Popped the tranny and the diff wanted to look outside of the tranny case. Wasn't pretty.

Never did get it dyno'd but figured it to be about 350hp to the wheels or so. Talk about torque steer.
Do you know the guys @ EIP, if so, you have to know Turbo Lou.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-28-2004, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
TAZ

Well, the weekend came and went, and my Integra is still on 9 pounds of boost. Turns out my buddy is feeling pretty generous, because he offered up the turbo and all the related goodies (intercooler, exhaust, turbo timer, blow-off valve, Hondata, etc.) for just $2500...and he's in no hurry to get paid (although it won't take me long). So I think I'll keep it. The car is pretty fun to drive as-is, and it sure is entertaining to surprise people in 14 second cars (S2000's, Mustangs, etc...)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page