Frigging viruses... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-21-2004, 2:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Frigging viruses...

Hi All,

With the new rash of viruses around, I decided to do several full-out scans on my work laptop. I run Norton Antivirus and a personal desktop firewall (ZoneLabs) I think - a relatively safe configuration I had assumed - given that I am always behind a firewall (office, home or customer). Apparently not. Norton Antirus was updated today via live update - no viruses found. My ZoneLabs firewall didn't detect any traffic coming/going. Clean and clear? Again, bad assumption.

I ran my favourite tool, McAfee Stinger.exe, a free virus checker (google it) and it came up with 2 viruses! WTF? It said that it couldn't clean the files so I did some research and found maybe 15 related files on my HD! Damn, these guys have wasted 2-4 hours of my time. phucking computer-squids.

The worst part is both these viruses collect passwords - which I have many, given my clients. Damn... I feel violated.

Jordan H.
The three most feared words in racing, "Powered by Honda".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-21-2004, 2:55 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: Frigging viruses...

Run Ad Aware and Spy Bot Search & Destroy as well from www.download.com
post #3 of 7 Old 04-21-2004, 3:13 PM

Reputation Power: 0

No machine is 100% safe.

I've always been somewhat skeptical about McAfee ever since I had a virus chew my computer to bits while McAfee slept quietly in the background.

I now use AVG. Fairly solid and free. Zone Alarm is pretty decnt as well. But even with both running, you're not entirely safe.

Just had a nasty little browser hijacker on my machine over the weekend. Pain in my ass.

I second what ND4 said. I've found that many times these "viruses" are nothing more than some incredibly irritating Spyware. It's amazing what kind of things those little bastards can do to your machine.

Run Spybot S&D daily. It should keep you machine pretty clean. Don't know if you'll want to run Ad-aware daily or not because depending on how much info you have stored, it's scan can take a VERY long time! But I would recommend running it at least once a week.

By the way, what were the viruses that were found? Seems to be a great deal of trojans and downloaders going around right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-21-2004, 4:27 PM Thread Starter

I also keep SpyBot at the ready. Although, while I'm using FireFox, I get MUCH fewer problems.

Jordan H.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-21-2004, 5:29 PM

stinger.exe is pretty good, but doesn't find everything still.

Our workplace is still struggling with nachi. Each time we install a new machine and attach it to the network, nachi invariably gets on. McAfee will find it, but stinger doesn't or vice versa sometimes.

Be fast or be last.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-21-2004, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad
Hi All,

With the new rash of viruses around, I decided to do several full-out scans on my work laptop. I run Norton Antivirus and a personal desktop firewall (ZoneLabs) I think - a relatively safe configuration I had assumed - given that I am always behind a firewall (office, home or customer). Apparently not. Norton Antirus was updated today via live update - no viruses found. My ZoneLabs firewall didn't detect any traffic coming/going. Clean and clear? Again, bad assumption.

I ran my favourite tool, McAfee Stinger.exe, a free virus checker (google it) and it came up with 2 viruses! WTF? It said that it couldn't clean the files so I did some research and found maybe 15 related files on my HD! Damn, these guys have wasted 2-4 hours of my time. phucking computer-squids.

The worst part is both these viruses collect passwords - which I have many, given my clients. Damn... I feel violated.
The hospitals that we do helpdesk for had most of their apps and servers go down due to the latest viruses. They were somehow cracking the users passwords.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-21-2004, 8:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACI4LIFE
The hospitals that we do helpdesk for had most of their apps and servers go down due to the latest viruses. They were somehow cracking the users passwords.
Hey man... that's not making me feel any better~!~

Speaking of feeling any better, this beautiful weather in Boston is killing me. I can't wait to ride when I'm home.

Jordan H.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page