Social Bomb excercise... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-23-2004, 4:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 31

Send a message via AIM to nhfirefighter13 Send a message via Yahoo to nhfirefighter13
Social Bomb excercise...

Here's something I did this week in Soc101...and managed to absolutely infuriate one of my female classmates in the process.

The exercise:
As a group (you guys can do it individually, of course) you are out on the edge of civilization studying whatever when WWIII breaks out and nuclear bombs start dropping like rain (I'm paraphrasing here.) You have 15 minutes to get inside the fallout shelter. There is enough air, water and food for six people for three months. The catch? There are ten other people with you (you have never met them before) and you must decide which six to take into the shelter with you by superficial descriptions only. They will abide by your decision.
Keep in mind that after the three months when it is deemed safe to come out of the shelter, you may be the last humans left alive.

Pick the six to live and give a reason for each...also give a reason for each of the four you chose to leave behind.

1. Bookkeeper-38 years old
2.His Japanese wife- 6 months pregnant
3. Black militant second year medical student
4. Rabbi- 56 years old
5. Olympic Athlete
6. Male college student
7. Hollywood starlet, singer-dancer
8. Biochemist
9. Famous historian-author 41 years old
10. Male Police officer (who refuses to leave his gun behind.)

Have at it!

If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-23-2004, 4:21 PM

Reputation Power: 45

Re: Social Bomb excercise...

Do we know the sex of 5, 8 and 9?

Especially if they're (at least 2) female, I'm thinking last 6.

I'll take my chances the biochemist can help with medical problems over a militant medical person of any color.

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy

Last edited by luvtolean; 04-23-2004 at 4:23 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-23-2004, 4:31 PM

Can you pick less than 6 and tell the others to take a hike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-23-2004, 4:36 PM

Actually, I just read it, you need to pick 5, unless you stay out with the bombs.

...in bed.

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #5 of 10 Old 04-23-2004, 4:37 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Keep:
1. Black militant second year medical student
2. His Japanese wife- 6 months pregnant
3. Male Police officer (who refuses to leave his gun behind.)
4. Biochemist
5. Olympic Athlete
6. Male college student

Discard:
1. Bookkeeper-38 years old
2. Rabbi- 56 years old
3. Famous historian-author 41 years old
4. Hollywood starlet, singer-dancer

Reasons:
In the strictest survival sense, the last 4 are less important than the top 6. However the statement says little of the sex of each of these people. It would probably need to be a 4/2 mix of males/females but I don't think even that is good enough to repopulate the planet. Essentially you will need strong individuals that can hunt, gather, and conquer the "new world" that has been put before them. That might include dealing with areas high in fall out, and lots and lots of walking.

Essentially:
1. There are no books to keep and he donated his valuable genetic material already so no use for him.
2. No use for a weak old, non-viable, religious man in a post apocolyptic world. He might help with mental comfort, yes. However that means little if he jeopardizes the survival of the human race.
3. We don't need to remember our history, you need food, water, and warmth.
4. What's she/he going to do? Show everyone how to give all natural exfoliating mud facials?

-Shrub

Edit: If I am one of the choices then I would boot the militant guy over me. I feel I am fairly athletic and have a good variety of knowledge and survival skills. Plus, I don't think I would look good with an orange afro.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Last edited by WetShrub; 04-23-2004 at 4:43 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-23-2004, 5:00 PM

I like the historian to keep a sense of the past alive, and try to use that knowledge when rebuilding a new society...try not to repeat past mistakes.

Pregnant lady and husband, bookkeeper does not have skills we'll need anytime soon...we don't have money or corporations anymore. Others are already strong in basic math. A pregnant lady is fragile, and since I don't want a militant guy starting war inside the shelter, we don't have a "real" doctor to deal with her anyway. Not to mention the emotional side of splitting the family.

...in bed.

Last edited by luvtolean; 04-23-2004 at 5:02 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-23-2004, 8:49 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to nhfirefighter13 Send a message via Yahoo to nhfirefighter13

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Do we know the sex of 5, 8 and 9?

Especially if they're (at least 2) female, I'm thinking last 6.

I'll take my chances the biochemist can help with medical problems over a militant medical person of any color.

Nope...that's part of the exercise...in that we all make assumptions when given a basic description of something...for example, most people think "male" when you say "Doctor"

And yes you can pick 6 other people.

If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-23-2004, 9:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
I like the historian to keep a sense of the past alive, and try to use that knowledge when rebuilding a new society...try not to repeat past mistakes.

Pregnant lady and husband, bookkeeper does not have skills we'll need anytime soon...we don't have money or corporations anymore. Others are already strong in basic math. A pregnant lady is fragile, and since I don't want a militant guy starting war inside the shelter, we don't have a "real" doctor to deal with her anyway. Not to mention the emotional side of splitting the family.
This is where the arguing started.
I picked to keep the pregnant woman, the biochemist, the historian, athlete, cop and dancer.
Pregnant woman: procreation..and she's off to a good start
Biochemist: will help with medicinal issues, science, etc etc
Historian: to preserve our history and to be an educator. "those who forget are doomed to repeat..."
Athlete: Rebuilding, hunting/gathering. Strong and healthy.
Cop: help with protection, assuming he/she is in shape, as well as to institute some sort of legal system...
Dancer: the only other known woman in the group. Procreation.

I got rid of the Bookkeeper because he had already done his part in the survival of the human race by fathering a child. Plus it was him or the athlete and I chose the stronger of the two.
The Rabbi? He unamimously axed. Served no functional purpose, I guess.
Black militant? No thanks. First aid is easy...even cave men survived without doctors.
Male college student. So what?

The argument was me splitting up the husband and wife. When it came down to procreation and me mentioning that a civilization sprouting from two people might be a little on the inbred side I was told that "it worked for Adam and Eve!"
Things went down hill from there. Especially since even though I only suggested that not everyone believes in that theory I was told that I was wrong simply because I did not agree with the woman.

There are no right or wrong answers to this...it's all a matter of perception. My goal has changed from trying to learn something in this class to irritating the hell out of the religious lady.

post #9 of 10 Old 04-23-2004, 11:16 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfirefighter13
There are no right or wrong answers to this...it's all a matter of perception. My goal has changed from trying to learn something in this class to irritating the hell out of the religious lady.

-Shrub

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-24-2004, 8:09 AM Thread Starter

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page