Bored with your career - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-26-2004, 1:23 PM Thread Starter
ER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to ER
Bored with your career

I know this has been kicked around in the past, but anyone else bored with their work? I'm about at the end of my programming career. I work on a great team for an excellent company doing C#/.NET (a hot technology) and I STILL can't get motivated to get back to work. We just finished a big release and I'm either burned out or just plain out of gas. I can't gear up for the next big project, hence my recent posting on the site ( ).

I've had to have therapy on my back for the last 3 weeks and found an interest in PT. Perhaps I'll go back to school...

Last edited by ER; 04-26-2004 at 1:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-26-2004, 1:34 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Re: Bored with your career

You programming people, God bless you, cause I think it's one of the most BORING jobs I've seen. There's no way I could sit still that long, day after day after day. I'm somewhat bored but too busy. I envy those who risk all and do what they love. Motovation is, I gotta job.

Last edited by SuperDave; 04-26-2004 at 1:34 PM. Reason: Can't spell
post #3 of 16 Old 04-26-2004, 1:54 PM

Reputation Power: 31

ER, if you wanna go for it, don't wait. Do it NOW, before you have more excuses not to do it (like kids).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-26-2004, 2:03 PM

Reputation Power: 45

About 2 months ago I went to my friend's graduation party...she finally finished PT school and is LOVING her job.

I say go for it, education is never a bad choice. I restart school in June, but not for a career change, hopefully a career enhancement.

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy

Last edited by luvtolean; 04-26-2004 at 2:03 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-26-2004, 3:30 PM Thread Starter
ER

Believe me, I'm growing pretty serious about the switch since I'm no longer giving my 100% here, which is not fair to anyone. I gave my word that I would give my company a 2-year commitment when I signed on, since full-time spots are coveted here and the technologies in which I'd be working are valuable. So, I have until next February before I can do anything. If/when I make a move, Alysia and I will have to learn how to live on less. We've gotten a bit used to living in a two-income household. We're talking about starting a family within two years, and Alysia will stay home once we do. Since I probably can't find another job making what I earn now, it's going to be a bit of a change when we have to live on one (smaller) salary.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-26-2004, 3:43 PM

Reputation Power: 45

ER, if you think you want to do it, start looking at what it will take, and admissions deadlines. Depending on the school, if you miss the admit deadline, you might have to wait another year. Dec-Feb/March is a pretty common deadline time for starting school in the Fall.

I don't know your educational background but it's a long road before you finally become a PT. Make sure you can commit.

Also, I worked full time through most of my undergrad, and will through most grad school too. It's tough, but as long as you don't have kids it won't be unbearable. My Mom worked full-time and finished her BS while I was in high school, so it's possible with kids too, just not so easy.

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #7 of 16 Old 04-26-2004, 3:46 PM

Reputation Power: 39

I go through phases of being bored with programming too... But, I always come out of it once a new project comes along that interests me. You have to muddle through the ones you don't like to get to the fun ones...

I've been doing it for 23 years (14 as a profession). I can't see myself doing anything else...
post #8 of 16 Old 04-26-2004, 4:06 PM Thread Starter
ER

Well, PT was just a thought. It interests me because I'd be working more with other people and less behind a monitor. I enjoy having a lasting impact helping people and I really lack that here in a larger corporation. I was asking one of the guys at the rehab place what it took and he had mentioned having a Master's degree. I have a BS in Computer Science and since University of Missouri - St. Louis was so heavy on the math and science, I think I have most all of the undergrad studies satisfied already. If so, then I'd be looking at about 2.5 years for a Master's. The three accredited schools in the area are very pricy though.

Again, it was just a thought. If I continue this trend, I'll quit and mow lawns for my buddy's landscaping company next Spring. I'm either going to light another fire under my a$$ or find something else to do for good. Anyone need their driveway shoveled or lawn mowed?
post #9 of 16 Old 04-26-2004, 4:12 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER
Well, PT was just a thought. It interests me because I'd be working more with other people and less behind a monitor.
Not to mention all the hot chicks you'll get to put your hands on! Have an assistant hired up for the nasty ones.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-26-2004, 4:37 PM
Fig

I have to agree with Conq.. I have been programming for 22 years, and about 15 professional. There are times when I too have muddled over taking up fishing for a living, but then something interesting comes along, and I am back to doing what I love to do.

I see what you are saying, but think about this, you have a good paying job, and want to start a family soon, while reducing your income to one salary. It's easy to say, yeah, we just tighten the belt, and live, but when bills are due, and you aren't making as much money as you could, you think being bored at work is bad? I have been on both ends of the spectrum, stick out the boredom, you will be much happier in the long run. Don't forget about the unseen benefits like health insurance. It gets costly once you start having shorties..

Why don't you just take half your check, and all your wife's check, drop it in the bank, and don't touch it. Then you can experience your new career and what it will be like before hand. Don't forget to take half of what's left and spend it on diapers and formula.. I am all for doing what you love, but when you have other people relying on you and your income, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. Me, it worked out perfectly. I knew when I was 13 what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, and here I am doing it. It took me a while to get to my current salary, but all the work was worth it.
Fig
post #11 of 16 Old 04-26-2004, 5:01 PM Thread Starter
ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Not to mention all the hot chicks you'll get to put your hands on! Have an assistant hired up for the nasty ones.
Ha ha! Ironically, beautiful women would be a deterrent for me in this profession. A lady I see for muscle-therapy (similar to PT) owns her own business. She works on the St. Louis Rams as well as private clientelle and she earns a fortune. I was talking to her about getting into what she does and she mentioned that it's much tougher on men, since we run the very real risk of frivolous lawsuits from women claiming to be sexually assaulted. Unless you have someone there to witness your therapy and/or recorded evidence, it would be your word against hers and I just can't see risking that. That's sad, but it's a reality.

Fig, Conq...I hear what you are both saying and you certainly have more experience than I do, with my 5 and a half years now. My uncle owns and runs RT Sports...I suppose I could see myself doing something like that. To his credit, he worked 40 hours a week on that site while working a full-time job in order to get it started.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-26-2004, 6:13 PM

Being bored with a career or simply doing something you have no desire to do is a sure way to have a crappy life. Do what you like and don't be afraid to try new things.

I went to school and got a double bachelors in Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. Don't get me wrong, I love the hell out of computers and electronics but I could never do it for a living. It drove me crazy after a few weeks of sitting behind a computer screen coding for 8 hours in a row.

Now, I am my own boss doing construction work. My two brothers, my father, and my best friend all work together building garages and additions. The best thing is we're probably the most educated bunch of builders around. I have a double degree, my father has a degree in industrial engineering, one brother has a degree in Mechanical engineering from WPI, my other brother has his masters in elementary education, and my friend has an architectural engineering degree. Lol, talk about a waste of education!!! But we love what we do, we only work 20-30 hours a week average and bring home a crapload of money! (almost double what I started at in programming ) You just have to give it a shot. It does help when you don't have too many responsibilities to worry about if you don't make it but hey, why live if you're not gonna live happily!!

"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home beermaking course, and I forgot how to drive?" - Homer J. Simpson
post #13 of 16 Old 04-27-2004, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2954
Being bored with a career or simply doing something you have no desire to do is a sure way to have a crappy life. Do what you like and don't be afraid to try new things.

I went to school and got a double bachelors in Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. Don't get me wrong, I love the hell out of computers and electronics but I could never do it for a living. It drove me crazy after a few weeks of sitting behind a computer screen coding for 8 hours in a row.

Now, I am my own boss doing construction work. My two brothers, my father, and my best friend all work together building garages and additions. The best thing is we're probably the most educated bunch of builders around. I have a double degree, my father has a degree in industrial engineering, one brother has a degree in Mechanical engineering from WPI, my other brother has his masters in elementary education, and my friend has an architectural engineering degree. Lol, talk about a waste of education!!! But we love what we do, we only work 20-30 hours a week average and bring home a crapload of money! (almost double what I started at in programming ) You just have to give it a shot. It does help when you don't have too many responsibilities to worry about if you don't make it but hey, why live if you're not gonna live happily!!
Man...need some help? I'll work 30 hours a week for more money...
post #14 of 16 Old 04-27-2004, 11:35 AM

Send a message via MSN to matt232

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER
I know this has been kicked around in the past, but anyone else bored with their work? I'm about at the end of my programming career. I work on a great team for an excellent company doing C#/.NET (a hot technology) and I STILL can't get motivated to get back to work. We just finished a big release and I'm either burned out or just plain out of gas. I can't gear up for the next big project, hence my recent posting on the site ( ).

I've had to have therapy on my back for the last 3 weeks and found an interest in PT. Perhaps I'll go back to school...
I know what youíre talking about.....

I was a web developer for three years in my first job. Always said that I wasn't a programmer but rather a sys admin, but my main role was programming. I learnt a hell of a lot of stuff and became pretty damn good at what I do during the job.

What a lot of people don't realise is that programming has a massive emotional roller coaster attached to it. If itís working then is a high seeing the code in your minds eye then making the computer do what you want, knocking out hundreds of lines of code a day. but on the other side the job sees you starting at a single line of code for two or three days straight being depressed and frustrated as hell.

After three years I was no longer learning new stuff and not getting the emotional high from punching out the same code day in day out. But still running into the bugs, and being the dumping ground for other peopleís bugs didn't help much either. So rather than go insane I left that low paying job (should have done that during the boom, not after) to look for a sys admin role.

I fell into a contracting role for a IT support company, not really what I was looking for but it allowed me to top up the dwindling bank account, I was promised some pretty sweet opportunities and put on a much better wage. Only problem was my first main project was developing a web application they wanted to produce. Plus I was never given the promised roles. So that job didn't last too long.

Now I've found the role I was *really* looking for. But every now and again I loose motivation, eventually you kick yourself in the pants and get back into it but there is the niggling doubt of whether you should change careers completely.

I find the best way to combat this is to do a few projects you are interested in as well as the stuff that the company wants you to do. Mix it up a little, with any luck that will help you get through until the 2 year point rolls around.

I work of a Health industry based company which dabbles in PT, and there are definately some nice sorts working in that industry. Getting into HR will give you some nice male to female ratios as well.

Last edited by matt232; 04-27-2004 at 11:58 AM. Reason: fixing the gammer and spelling but its too stuffed for a 2am mind to deal with. Sorry guys I hope you can understand most of it.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-27-2004, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

ER, the only advice I can really give you is to go with your gut.
I worked as a network technician and administrator since the old days of token ring and followed the evolution from when NetWare was king (it's still by far a better product than Windows 200/2003, which is just a prettied up NT) to 10-BT ethernet and now all the new technologies. I've been doing it forever, and have a good name in the area.
However, I recently became disgusted with the whole industry, with the multitude of "tech schools" pimping out "MCSEs" like litters of rabbits. The kids that go to these places learn the answers, but know nothing and it just wears on everyone in the industry.
I do a couple other new things now, and only take small consulting jobs on occasion for the networking/internet world while running my own business.
I also make quite a bit more money and work quite a few less hours.
Go with your heart and gut, they aren't lying to you. If you want to make a switch, do it now. You also don't necessarily need to do heavy schooling to get a better career. Remeber how much that house you just bought cost? How much of that cost do you think the builder pocketed free and clear?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page