hawaii - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-30-2004, 7:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 21

hawaii

i just got back from hawaii and i must say it was an interesting week. i like it, just too touristy for my tastes. There were all sorts of people there, but the largest groups were Japanese and Americans.
It is interesting to see how Hawaii takes its heritage and turns it into a tourist trap, no other state (that I am aware of) does that.
There were also a lot of bikes there, mostly older, but plenty of them.

Some of the more memorable activities were DEEP sea fishing and got to dive 5 times (first open water dives).

One weird thing did happen though. While my wife and I were visiting another hotels shops and such, I waited outside as I did not want to be bothered with ANOTHER dress shop. Low and behold I found a mans shaving kit that contained over 2000 in cash, lots of checks and credit cards. After sitting and thinking about what I should do (about 30 minutes worth) and hecking for video cameras, traps, cops, etc.. I got up and decided to take it to the manager of the hotel. on the way I noticed a Japanese man looking around all over as if he had misplaced something. I walked over to him and showed him the kit. His face lit up like a Christmas tree, he explained to me that he was a travel agent and was ready to check in his guests at the hotel and noticed his bag was missing. He offered to take my wife and I out and I refused his gesture and he thanked me several more times and then we just walked away like it never happened. I must say that I felt sick for about and hour afterwards.

"sorry I'm late, I had to stop by the wax museum and give the finger to FDR again" - Cotton Hill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-30-2004, 7:34 PM

Reputation Power: 28

Re: hawaii

I don't know why you felt sick Bubba, you only did what was right.

I was there in '93 for my funeral, er, my wedding. I wonder how much has changed in a decade.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-30-2004, 7:36 PM

Reputation Power: 29

Very commendable! You are an honest person. The only thing I would have done differently is first ask him what he was looking for, and describe the contents. But the situation was so obvious in this scenario I'm sure he was the right guy

Here in Oz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-30-2004, 7:40 PM

Reputation Power: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus
Very commendable! You are an honest person. The only thing I would have done differently is first ask him what he was looking for, and describe the contents. But the situation was so obvious in this scenario I'm sure he was the right guy
ditto. he may have noticed you looking through it and could tell it wasnt yours and played along. i would have had me take me out or give me some money cuz i could have took the whole thing. but i am greedy like that. .
post #5 of 13 Old 04-30-2004, 8:30 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Good job Bubba, I hope I'd do the same if that happened to me.

I'm not even supposed to be here. I'm just "Crewman Number Six." I'm expendable! I'm the guy in the episode who dies to prove how serious the situation is! I've gotta get outta here!

BigDaddyJ.com

Last edited by BigDaddyJ; 04-30-2004 at 8:30 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-30-2004, 9:51 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot

Who cares????? Hawaii, Shcmawaii.....
Chris
post #7 of 13 Old 04-30-2004, 11:57 PM

Reputation Power: 32

Great job, Bubba. You did the right thing, and you will be blessed for it. What island? I've only been to Maui - twice, and we absolutely loved the place. Beautiful, relaxing and lots of fun stuff to do. I'd love to go back.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-01-2004, 4:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Karma Bubba, it will pay you back Maybe not today, or tomorrow, or next week, but maybe when you are taking your cash downpayment on the 2010 model RSVR, and you lose it on the street, and someone runs up behind you asking you "is ths yours?", you will no longer understand why you felt sick. Good job

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #9 of 13 Old 05-01-2004, 8:51 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 21

we went to Oahu, I think it was a little too touristy for my tastes.

oh i forgot to mention - when I was diving there was a gaggle of dolphons swimming around, I just so happened to be on a surface interval and saw them. Grabbed my mask and fins and went and had a swim with the little fellows. There were some babies out there and a couple of the adults were doing jumps into the air - that was pretty cool to be apart of

"sorry I'm late, I had to stop by the wax museum and give the finger to FDR again" - Cotton Hill
post #10 of 13 Old 05-01-2004, 10:42 AM

Reputation Power: 17

I agree with the "tourist trapo" description of Oahu. When I went the first time, I started in Oahu and after 3 days decided to go to Maui early. I've been to Maui, Kauai and Big Island and they are nothing like Oahu. My wife called Wakiki beach "tropical Tokyo". I thought all the people were laid back and freindly and found out they mostly go to Vegas on their vacations.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-01-2004, 11:53 AM

Reputation Power: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba

oh i forgot to mention - when I was diving there was a gaggle of dolphons swimming around, I just so happened to be on a surface interval and saw them. Grabbed my mask and fins and went and had a swim with the little fellows. There were some babies out there and a couple of the adults were doing jumps into the air - that was pretty cool to be apart of
Nice going on the kit Bubba.

Oahu doesn't have to be touristy. Head out for a hike into the jungle and a mile in you'll feel like you're in the middle of nowhere.

I take it you did Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, snorkeled the bay (can't remember the name) etc etc?

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #12 of 13 Old 05-01-2004, 5:02 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via AIM to DRider Send a message via MSN to DRider

Congrats on making the right choice. May have felt bad for a while but who knows how you'd feel if you decided to keep it.

Too bad you couldn't make it an outer island. Oahu is too crowded (at least for my taste) the only real advantage is that it has the better surf spots, which of course are also crowded.

Anyways hope you enjoyed your time here.

Aloha
post #13 of 13 Old 05-01-2004, 9:37 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba

Try Kauai next time. That's where I have gone the past 2 times. Hardly any tourists (comparatively) and tons of outdoor stuff to do besides just the beach. It's called "the garden Island."

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page