Bowling for Columbine - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 05-02-2004, 1:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 31

Send a message via AIM to nhfirefighter13 Send a message via Yahoo to nhfirefighter13
Bowling for Columbine

I'm fairly certain there was a thread on this a while back. I just saw it this week in school. If you've seen it and want to read my take on the movie (that was my homework) feel free to take a look at the attachment (it's a word .doc) and offer some comments if you like.

The gist of my paper is that Moore is a tool.

If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.

Last edited by nhfirefighter13; 11-20-2005 at 9:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-02-2004, 1:35 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: Bowling for Columbine

I never saw Bowling for Columbine, never had plans to see it and never will. Your paper was well written and reinforces all the reasons I will never see the movie. Great write up by the way, just do a spell check before you turn it in. I fear that your grade will reflect which way the instructor leans left vs. right, but in any event, it deserves a high mark. Good Job!

02 s/b 954
00 SV650 Race Only
post #3 of 33 Old 05-02-2004, 1:44 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Wow, really good paper. Micheal Moore is an attention whore who will manipulate facts and situations to create scandals and confrontations to scare the common moron.

The only correction I would suggest: the B-52 mentioned would have been carrying a full bomb load of 72 500 pounders on the mission and dropped them someplace. That was probably what Mr. Moore was referring to. The shot of the plaque would have been to establish the Christmas Eve timeframe. In truth, Christmas Eve only meant something to the Christians and not the Buddhists. The North Vietnamese and VC had no compunctions against conducting military operations over their holidays as evidenced by the Tet offensive in '68 it think.

Overall though, great paper and some really interesting fact finding done to support it.

Remember these two sayings?

"Figures never lie, but liers tend to figure" (Long Fellow)
"There three types of lies: Lies, Damn Lies, and statistics" (Benjamin Disraeli)

And verifiying these I found this:

"When you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it,
Surely you will succeed" (Abraham Lincoln)

Thanks for the read

Keith

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 05-02-2004, 1:46 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to nhfirefighter13 Send a message via Yahoo to nhfirefighter13

I never claimed to be a grammarian.

Thanks! Fortunately, I think my teacher doesn't really let her own opinions play a part in class. She seems pretty agreeable to listening to our opinions and making us simply think about things like this.

Was it worth watching? Probably. For the humor maybe. It's a shame that a lot of people don't bother to research the crap Moore was spewing.

If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.
post #5 of 33 Old 05-02-2004, 1:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_929
The only correction I would suggest: the B-52 mentioned would have been carrying a full bomb load of 72 500 pounders on the mission and dropped them someplace. That was probably what Mr. Moore was referring to. The shot of the plaque would have been to establish the Christmas Eve timeframe.

Remember these two sayings?

"Figures never lie, but liers tend to figure" (Long Fellow)
"There three types of lies: Lies, Damn Lies, and statistics" (Benjamin Disraeli)

Keith
Possibly he was referring to that, but when the monument specifies shooting down a MIG? How does that translate into "thousands and thousands" of dead people? Realistically, how many people were killed from those 72 bombs? I'm guessing not as many as the Air Force would have liked.

Thanks for the input! I have a real hard time re-reading my own stuff and picking out the rough spots.

Those two quotes are great! Never heard of them before.

post #6 of 33 Old 05-02-2004, 1:56 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfirefighter13
It's a shame that a lot of people don't bother to research the crap Moore was spewing.
I think that most people that don't bother doing any research are the same people that believe everything they hear or see on television. Others simply want to believe his message and there is no amount of sheer fact that could change their opinion. Sheeple will be sheeple!

Do you mind if I print your paper? I have a couple of very hard core liberal types at work and I would love to simply see their disgust when they read it and tell me how your lying to cover up the truth... LOL

h8

02 s/b 954
00 SV650 Race Only
post #7 of 33 Old 05-02-2004, 2:33 PM

Reputation Power: 29

Great read nhf!! I have not seen the movie, nor have I really followed much of any news on M. Moore, but he indeed would appear to be a huge fraud, and a "tool"...

Here in Oz
post #8 of 33 Old 05-02-2004, 2:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8mondays
I think that most people that don't bother doing any research are the same people that believe everything they hear or see on television. Others simply want to believe his message and there is no amount of sheer fact that could change their opinion. Sheeple will be sheeple!

Do you mind if I print your paper? I have a couple of very hard core liberal types at work and I would love to simply see their disgust when they read it and tell me how your lying to cover up the truth... LOL

h8

Sheeple... I LOVE IT!!!!!

Go for it, as long as you let me know how irritated it makes em. I like irritating people.

post #9 of 33 Old 05-02-2004, 3:07 PM

Reputation Power: 0

nhfire, excellent piece!!

Moore is one of the biggest liars of all time. I think he truly illustrates why the left is in such disarray.

Have you ever checked out this article ?

Very extensive and well done. Completely debunks the BFC lie.
post #10 of 33 Old 05-02-2004, 3:43 PM Thread Starter

Yup! Actually, I got a lot of my info from that site (or links on that site). Good stuff.

Personally, I thinks it's pretty funny that there are so many sites against this guy.

post #11 of 33 Old 05-02-2004, 4:13 PM

Reputation Power: 27

If this was a Collage class, you just got your self an F. They’re not interested in your thoughts. They are just interested in convincing you of their’s.
Good work.

Ride Red
post #12 of 33 Old 05-02-2004, 4:37 PM Thread Starter

It's a college sociology class...and it was supposed to be my thoughts on the movie. My teacher actually never made any comments about the movie. She hit play and two hours later told us to write a paper on our reactions to it.

She can give me an F is she wants to...I'm there as a photography major, not to become a sociologist...

post #13 of 33 Old 05-02-2004, 4:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

Just be prepared to have your free and open thoughts picked on.
Had you written with a closed mind, saying that Moore is your hero, everything he touches turns to gold and is 100% truthful everytime he opens his big fat-assed mouth, you would have been praised.
Good paper, by the way.
post #14 of 33 Old 05-02-2004, 5:54 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, now I'm interested in seeing what I get for a grade. I already know that at least half of the people in my class don't agree with me so it'll be interesting to see what they thought of it.

For those that have seen the movie, do you remeber that video for the metal detectors? I think it was an ad from a security company for putting in detectors at schools. They had this kid pull about a dozen handguns, a shotgun, a few knives and a hand grenade of all things out of his pants. I started laughing out loud and when everyone who had been like "oh my God!" looked at me funny, I said, let's see him walk across the room with all that crap. They just don't get it.

post #15 of 33 Old 05-02-2004, 7:39 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Nicely written (I'm terrible at writing or maybe it's because I don't like to do it). The only point I would make is that you need to cite where you researched your information. I wouldn't rely on the website that Mo Noyz mentioned (you need to find out where the website writer received it from).

Michael Moore has a strong argument supporting what he said Link.

01 CBR 929
08 Ducati 1098

Florida Trackdays

GiveGab

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page