SV1000 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 06-13-2003, 8:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 42

Re: SV1000

Got to see an SV1000S up close....great looking bike...and the TL motor is going to make it an awesome combo.....

Edit:
Added the S....sorry can't edit the title though...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-13-2003, 9:08 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

she looks like this! that looks just like a TL frame as well...

Team Honda - well sorta...
post #3 of 19 Old 06-13-2003, 9:10 AM

Reputation Power: 28

Only based on the TL motor, 'tech. It's not the TL motor. It's got smaller, single spring valves, new cams and lighter rods. Modified throttle bodies (claimed to make more room for the airbox as an aid in breathing) too.

While the old TLS engine made better total power on the dyno, it was peakier; pretty revvy for a twin (I've ridden a couple). The new engine makes max torque about a grand lower on the tach than the old one did. Nice.

I think it's going to be a real good motorcycle and I loved my .65L last-gen model, but true nakeds such as this one are best left to city duty IMHO. While I think the instrument pod and tail light are a bit on the weird side of styling, I'd still own one if I were independantly wealthy... a silver job with low Suburban Machinery bars just like on my 2001, a set of booming carbon Yoshi RS-3s, a fender kit and some sliders.

Mmm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 06-13-2003, 9:12 AM

Quote:
showmethebombs : that looks just like a TL frame as well...
Nope, a brand new frame too.

Edit: Also SMTB, Baketech sounded as if he was pouring over the SV1000. The pic you posted is the SV1000S, the faired model, just fyi.

post #5 of 19 Old 06-13-2003, 9:16 AM

Reputation Power: 18

I think that it is butt ugly... Too much 'squareness'. I prefer a more rounded, organic shape... as seen here (nws)

Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a Q-tip!
post #6 of 19 Old 06-13-2003, 9:19 AM

That hijack leads to other types of 'jacking' if you catch my drift. Nice pic though.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-13-2003, 9:21 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

I cannot see it.....websence....

Team Honda - well sorta...
post #8 of 19 Old 06-13-2003, 9:27 AM Thread Starter

Actually my first post was a typo....should have been the S model....
The one I saw was the Copper color..... *

Yes, the new frame is a piece of manufacturing art....built the same way as the 600RR subframe.... very tasty.

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #9 of 19 Old 06-13-2003, 9:49 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via AIM to HondaGal

I like the way this bike looks too. All I've seen are pics so far but I'd throw a leg over it in the showroom if I saw one.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-13-2003, 10:07 AM

Quote:
HondaGal : I like the way this bike looks too. *All I've seen are pics so far but I'd throw a leg over it in the showroom if I saw one.
I've done that much. We got the bikes pretty early here, although everyone's still awaiting the nekked thou.

Baketech, I'll respectfully part company with you on this one then... if I were in the market for a faired v-powered sportbike, I'd look to the RC or a sharply discounted leftover TLR. For the riding position you're subjected to on the SVS (low bars/high pegs), the ~106 hp ain't cutting it for me. The Superhawk is something of a toad and I think the SVS will prove to be one as well.

The SV1000 Urban Assaulter model with some loud exhaust, now THAT's got me interested. *

post #11 of 19 Old 06-13-2003, 10:13 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Wow, that's a beautiful bike!!!
post #12 of 19 Old 06-13-2003, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Chain : Baketech, I'll respectfully part company with you on this one then... if I were in the market for a faired v-powered sportbike, I'd look to the RC or a sharply discounted leftover TLR.
I'm not interested in it...just think it looks good.
If I get an SV, it will be a 650 for a trackbike.....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
post #13 of 19 Old 06-13-2003, 11:59 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Sorry. I wouldn't buy it. Not for any technical reason but because dealing with Suzuki as a company is a bizatch. I had the worst experience with them and their dealers and have vowed never to buy another zuk.

The story? I know I repeat myself, but I told them I would tell every biker I met this story and I keep my word.

Remember your first bike? Almost everyone does. It doesn't matter if it's a pile of bolts or a new machine, it always lights up your eyes and is a memory forever. In my case, it was a brand new Suzuki GS500 - a beautiful machine in my rookie eyes. I set out to learn how to ride and picked it up in a matter of minutes/hours (I rode home from the dealership and I had never ridden a bike before). Anyway, less than a month later, I was zipping down the highway at 120km/h and I hear *tick*tick*tick*. I thought it was the truck next to me... uh... I checked my guages, no lights, then suddenly *SCREEEEEEEEeeCH* The engine locked up, rendering the clutch useless and locking the back tire... I skidded across 3 lanes of morning rushhour traffic and onto the shoulder - upright. My dad picks me up and we go to the local suzuki shop (I was 150km from home). The mechanic proceeds to size us up and then tells my dad that I never put oil in it and it was dry! Ok, it was one month old and he's right... I didn't. So I think that I killed my beautiful bike. My dad, not being as naive as I, says, 'Well, lets pull the plug and take a look.' Which the mechanic does and out pours 3.x quarts of oil! I'm like WTF? Anyway... caught in a lie, he was upset with us and wouldn't sign off on the warrantee work. I called the suzuki dealership where I bought it - they told me to take a flying leap because they don't care what happens after it leaves their lot and I called a mom&pop zuk shop near my home who told me they couldn't help me out. Straight to Suzuki Canada... Nope, they wouldn't help me out if the dealer wouldn't put in a claim! Like WTF?? A friend mechanic type checked it out and found that the oil pump had quit without warning. No oil light, nothing. Finally, we convinced the dealer to put in a warrantee claim. 4 weeks later, after a million phone calls to HQ and the dealer... they called me to tell me that they couldn't get all new parts (Looking back, I'm sorry I believed them). They replaced some parts with used parts... ok, well that would have been fine. 6 weeks later, I finally picked up my bike! 6-weeks! No apologies, nothing. They put my bike in the lot with the key in the ignition and left a message on my voice mail, 'You can pick up your bike, it's in the lot.' That's it. After that, my bike needed the engine rebuilt 3 times in the next 2 years because of compression problems and leaking oil. Why was the oil leaking?? Well... it turns out each time I had the engine rebuilt they REUSED the main gasket!! They didn't tell me that until I found an honest service manager in Toronto.

I traded it in on my first Honda and now I can't be happier. Honda's may not be as powerful as the gsx-r, not as sexy as the R1 not as ... uh... old as the Ninja but the 'whole package' of service, quality, performance etc. makes up for it.

Moral of the story? If you buy a Zuk, you better not have any problems because they'll tell you to go hump a tree.

Jordan H.
The three most feared words in racing, "Powered by Honda".
post #14 of 19 Old 06-13-2003, 12:14 PM

Quote:
nomad : Moral of the story? *If you buy a Zuk, you better not have any problems because they'll tell you to go hump a tree.
I think that's too much of a broad stroke indictment. Everyone's got their own stories to tell and I've owned three Suzukis (Katana 6, Gix 1, SV). I was dealt with politely at two dealerships in both delivery and after-sale service scenarios.

I agree with you, however, that Honda makes a more refined, better polished motorcycle on total.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-13-2003, 12:25 PM

Reputation Power: 25

I can't say too much because I've only owned Hondas. But from what I've read, owners accounts, and recall notices I'd never buy one, except for the SV. GSXR750's leaking oil. Cam chain tensioner recalls, 2 on the same part on the Busa. Subframe collapse on the Busa. The only bike they make that is durable from I've read is the SV. I wouldn't want to own any of their bikes longterm, they just don't have Honda quality.

22 days until it begins...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page