The Rebirth Of Cool Schwinn Stingray - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-04-2004, 9:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

The Rebirth Of Cool Schwinn Stingray

Schwinn Stingray

Too cool. A marketing genius if you ask me.

Insignificant Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-04-2004, 9:53 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: The Rebirth Of Cool Schwinn Stingray

I saw one in Wal-Mart last week, pretty cool. I wonder what the homies will do to it. $177.
post #3 of 18 Old 05-04-2004, 10:54 PM

Yet another American Icon soiled in the name of capitalism...Sad. Don't get me started on what they have done to the GTO, Impala, etc. Stingray was ape hanger bars and banana seat, that thing is just a a chopper, with a horrable seating position for peddeling. Just an opinion of this child of the 70's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-05-2004, 12:37 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
Yet another American Icon soiled in the name of capitalism...Sad. Don't get me started on what they have done to the GTO, Impala, etc. Stingray was ape hanger bars and banana seat, that thing is just a a chopper, with a horrable seating position for peddeling. Just an opinion of this child of the 70's...
Hear, hear! That thing doesn't look anything like the Stingray I had in the 60s-70s (well, clone anyway, mine was a Ross, I think). I had to click on the history link to make sure they were talking about the banana seat, sissybar, high handlebar bikes that we all loved as kids. Stop messing with the classics, I say!
post #5 of 18 Old 05-05-2004, 12:49 PM

Quote:
The new bike looks cool, but yeah maybe they should've called it something else. About the only connection I can make is to look at what "choppers" (motorcycles) looked like back then, and what they look like now, and I guess this bike is a modern version of the old one.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-05-2004, 1:16 PM

Quote:
it's no wonder Schwinn Sting-Rays are endorsed by Orange County Choppers
:give****: <yawn>
post #7 of 18 Old 05-05-2004, 1:59 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Does this mean you can't get a stingray anymore? When did they stop making them?

Ride Red
post #8 of 18 Old 05-05-2004, 4:10 PM Thread Starter

sure you can
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro
Does this mean you can't get a stingray anymore? When did they stop making them?

Insignificant Member
post #9 of 18 Old 05-05-2004, 4:42 PM
TAZ

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ

Quote:
I don't mind getting you started. It's all about progress and change. I suppose there were some guys around the 1920's who still thought horses were better than cars. For example, the new GTO is a better car in every way than the boats with the same name from the 60's and 70's. Faster, too, while more comfortable/luxurious, plus getting better mileage and being more than a bit better for the environment. Of course, you're probably referring to styling - which is a matter of opinion. I'll certainly admit that too many new products lack distinctive (or what I'd call "tasteful") styling. Too many design departments take the safe route. I liked the '69 and '70 model Goats. My dad had a '69, which I have only a few foggy memories of, as it met a phone pole when I was about two... But the new ones are fine, IMO. If only I could convince my wife to get trade her '03 Mustang (GT 5-speed) for one.

As for the Sting Ray, I had a 1977 model - my first 20" bike. It was cool; electric blue, with big handlebars and the obligatory banana seat. My friends all had BMX bikes (Redlines, Haros, GT's), and they picked on my Sting Ray. I liked it, though. Lots of miles put on that thing; I even did my paper route on it for a year...

I don't mind the new one - it's a new bike for a new generation. Face it; the only people who would like the "old style" Sting Ray design now are old guys and (Honda)gals like us!
post #10 of 18 Old 05-05-2004, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ
styling - which is a matter of opinion.
And my opinion of the new GTO...it looks like a warmed over Grand Am. Not to mention that the front end looks almost R1'ish. It's a disgrace to all real GTO aficionados to have this new POS sharing such a historical moniker.
post #11 of 18 Old 05-05-2004, 5:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
And my opinion of the new GTO...it looks like a warmed over Grand Am. Not to mention that the front end looks almost R1'ish. It's a disgrace to all real GTO aficionados to have this new POS sharing such a historical moniker.

Not to mention the fact that it isn't a new car by any means. It is nothing more than a Holden with a slight styling change.
GM really went the cheap route with it.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-05-2004, 5:16 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to stopsign Send a message via Yahoo to stopsign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete

Right on, I couldnt have said it better myself... at least (im not a Ford fan) Ford designers did the revised mustang some good with the retro styling. Dodge boned the Charger as well.... I can only wait til the Camaro makes a comeback, god help someone if it comes back as a wide body chevy cavalier !?

I don't kill flies but I like to mess with their minds. I hold them above globes. They freak out and yell, 'Whoa, I'm way too high!'
post #13 of 18 Old 05-05-2004, 5:27 PM
dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ
It's all about progress and change. I suppose there were some guys around the 1920's who still thought horses were better than cars. For example, the new GTO is a better car in every way than the boats with the same name from the 60's and 70's. Faster, too,
Yeah, but this is a functional step backwards. How are you supposed to jump a row of garbage cans on this poser Stingray? Or pull your buddy on the skateboard? You'd spend all your energy trying to peddle that ridiculous back tire.

It's all about show these days. I'm sure they'll sell tons.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-05-2004, 6:09 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ
I don't mind the new one - it's a new bike for a new generation. Face it; the only people who would like the "old style" Sting Ray design now are old guys and (Honda)gals like us!
Actually, you'd be at the end of that era. The baby boomers (the largest and most affluent sector of our current society) would be the ones who have the most money to spend and who would most appreciate the real deal. Not some commercially hip neo cruiser. Just look at the Harley market. Big tattooed freaks are not buying them; it's the baby boomers. And they arenít buying the V-rods; they're buying the Heritage and sporties.

Ride Red
post #15 of 18 Old 05-05-2004, 8:01 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

These guys almost look like the icy hot stunna's!

LINK

Team Honda - well sorta...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page