Photography stuff - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 05-09-2004, 6:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Photography stuff

Looky what I have coming in the mail!

Kodak 8500

Epson 2200

Sigma 50mm Macro

Sigma 70-200mm

(No I didn't everything from Ritz...they're not always the best for pricing)
I have the 50mm already...very cool lens. Macro photography is lots of fun.
The 70-200mm should be here in a couple of weeks and will be the trackday workhorse.
I should have the two printers this week. Why two? I plan on taking the Kodak with me to events for 8x10's (as well as my cd plan) and the epson will stay home for larger prints...it's capable of anything up to 13x44.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-09-2004, 7:29 PM

Re: Photography stuff

VERY nice, i would have loved to have the 200 for hawaii
post #3 of 32 Old 05-09-2004, 7:33 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Nothing to do with your stuff NH but I just wanted to share that I've been collecting Olympus OM stuff on eBay recently. I've had an OM1 camera (and various lenses) for twenty five years and love it, so though I'd start collecting. Just bought a second body, 35 - 70mm zoom, plus a camera case. Bidding on an OM2 as well. Just nice stuff to have. Use my Olympus digital for most things though

Other stuff I'm buying is Camapgnolo Record stuff. Nice 8 speed ergo levers and rear mech. Even rode my bike today.

Last edited by Proto; 05-09-2004 at 7:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 05-09-2004, 7:49 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba

Oh Suddup! I told, damn near begged, you to take mine, but noooooo!!! And now yer bitchin... Read my sig
Chris

|
|
|
|
V
post #5 of 32 Old 05-09-2004, 8:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto
Nothing to do with your stuff NH but I just wanted to share that I've been collecting Olympus OM stuff on eBay recently. I've had an OM1 camera (and various lenses) for twenty five years and love it, so though I'd start collecting. Just bought a second body, 35 - 70mm zoom, plus a camera case. Bidding on an OM2 as well. Just nice stuff to have. Use my Olympus digital for most things though

Other stuff I'm buying is Camapgnolo Record stuff. Nice 8 speed ergo levers and rear mech. Even rode my bike today.
I'm not familiar with the OM gear. I'll have to do some looking.

This stuff is all going to my Canon 10D. The printers will be able to handle souble duty for all my digital stuff and for my medium format scans (up to 180megs per photo)
post #6 of 32 Old 05-09-2004, 8:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba

So buy one. You have a good camera for it.
post #7 of 32 Old 05-09-2004, 8:19 PM Thread Starter

macro money

lighting's not the best but I was just playin.

Last edited by nhfirefighter13; 11-20-2005 at 10:34 PM.
post #8 of 32 Old 05-10-2004, 8:55 AM

Nice gear NH, I'm jealous... There are too many lenses that I want and hell, I'd love to get a slide/film scanner, a better printer and a whole bunch of skill to go with it all, LOL....
post #9 of 32 Old 05-11-2004, 11:52 PM
TAZ

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ

Yo nh!

I still have a replacement 8500 I got in November (Kodak replaced my whole printer when the print head went wonky on the original one)...I thought you were going to e-mail me when you were ready to buy one!

If it's still an option for you to return the new one, I'd be glad to save you a few hundred bucks!

(The replacement one has about 300 prints through it, has never been taken on location, and is in pristine condition, excluding the paper tray, which is the one from my original unit.)

e-mail me!
[email protected]
post #10 of 32 Old 05-12-2004, 12:44 AM

To semi-hijack this thread, I'm seriously looking at the Nikon D70 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec.../nikon_d70.asp as my foray into the world of D-SLR.

Right now, I have a Nikon FA manual camera with an all purpose Nikkor 35~105mm lens, a P&S Fujifim 6800Z digital, and my Sony Clie UX50 PDA camera.

I want to get into photography, but man, it's such an expensive hobby.

Be fast or be last.
post #11 of 32 Old 05-12-2004, 1:37 PM
TAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiliat
To semi-hijack this thread, I'm seriously looking at the Nikon D70 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec.../nikon_d70.asp as my foray into the world of D-SLR.
asiliat,
That's ironic, too!
Check out THIS THREAD

I JUST (this morning) sold a BRAND NEW (one week old, used just ONCE) D70 kit with a spare battery and a Compact Flash card for $1200.

I bought it rather than renting a D30/D60 or the like, knowing I'd be able to sell it for close to what I paid. (We needed a third camera to handle three simultaneous events).

I liked the D70 just fine; it's nice and lightweight, and produces images with good color and excellent clarity/sharpness (even with the consumer-grade 18-70 kit lens). I found the interface a little "Mickey Mouse" for my tastes; the menus were big and colorful, and a little less "professional" than I'm used to, but the functionality was all good. It's just that I'm a Canon guy, and the D70 just isn't capable of shooting fast action events, which is what my biz specializes in.

[and for NH's benefit:]
...for that matter, the 10D isn't too good at it (shooting fast action events) either. I used to tell myself that the 10D was just fine; that it was capable of shooting action (like motorcycles on a racetrack) with acceptable results. The fact that people were buying my images seemed to prove my point. However, I took the word of many professionals who shoot with 1D's, and who told me that I was missing the boat (and sorely mistaken for thinking the 10D was good enough for what I was shooting). I got my 1D last fall, and now I'm awaiting a MkII. Believe me when I tell you that it hurts my eyes to look at trackday shots I did with a 10D last summer...the focus just can't keep up for anything other than side-panning shots, and even then it's hit-and-miss. The 1D's 8fps and half-as-long shutter lag makes it much more responsive as well, and the AA (anti-aliasing) filter on the 1D is much weaker, resulting in much sharper images right out of the box.

I guess it comes down to expectations. If you and your customers haven't ever experienced images other than those from a 10D/D70, etc, then the shots will likely be good enough. But as for you - I'd suggest you avoid trying a 1D, or risk being irreversibly hooked!

Finally, don't get me wrong...I shot action events for a full year with a D60 and then a 10D, producing acceptable results, and making some decent money. But in retrospect, I should have ponied up back in '02 for the pro body. I now know how much better my shots would have been, but I'll never know how much more money I could have made.
post #12 of 32 Old 05-12-2004, 5:00 PM

Nice shots NH! I just added a canon 100mm macro and a 100-400IS to my collection. The 100-400 is a seriously under-rated lens! I realy enjoy it!
post #13 of 32 Old 05-12-2004, 5:41 PM

taz,

good link to the galbraith webpage... I had never been there. Some really cool stuff there, thanks for the link! Lots of Mac users there which is cool.

I still haven't gotten any automation down on my process out of the D60...
post #14 of 32 Old 05-12-2004, 7:46 PM
TAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwilli3
taz,

good link to the galbraith webpage... I had never been there. Some really cool stuff there, thanks for the link! Lots of Mac users there which is cool.

I still haven't gotten any automation down on my process out of the D60...
The RG forums are cool; they don't tolerate much goofing off (it's all for "serious" photographers, which I AM, but...); in spite of the lack of "fun", there's a ton of information and knowledgeable pros who are happy to help you as long as they don't think you're going to steal business from them. Not too many guys in NC, although there's at least one event photog of decent size (in the Raleigh area, I think) on there. He's very vocal. Comes off as more of an ass than I do.

What are you looking for in terms of automation? I've written some cool download utilities, which number image files as they're dumped from your CF cards in sequential order, ensuring unique filenames, and even handling the removal of your .jpgs from the CF card after the dump is complete. Let me know if you'd like to try one...(send me what you'd like it to do, and I'll see what I can come up with).
post #15 of 32 Old 05-13-2004, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ
Yo nh!

I still have a replacement 8500 I got in November (Kodak replaced my whole printer when the print head went wonky on the original one)...I thought you were going to e-mail me when you were ready to buy one!

If it's still an option for you to return the new one, I'd be glad to save you a few hundred bucks!

(The replacement one has about 300 prints through it, has never been taken on location, and is in pristine condition, excluding the paper tray, which is the one from my original unit.)

e-mail me!
[email protected]
Whoops! I completely forgot about that. That's ok, though. I didn't pay anywhere near retail for the 8500.

Do you have any suggestions on where to find the paper and ribbons at good prices or do you just get em from a local shop?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page