any doctors in the house? i need help - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 05-10-2004, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

any doctors in the house? i need help

amber is really sick and the hospital keeps sending us home. she doesnt move, has had one pissy diaper all day, pukes up all food, has a 103.6 temp. i need someone elses opionion. i am terrified something is going majorly wrong. help me please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-10-2004, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: any doctors in the house? i need help

Take her to another hospital for another opinion.
post #3 of 36 Old 05-10-2004, 10:24 PM

Ditto what Conq said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 05-10-2004, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

I would but she hasnt been transfered over toi my insurance and has state assisstance and it only works at one hospitol here.
post #5 of 36 Old 05-10-2004, 11:00 PM
Fig

That's because the hospital is tha last place you want to take your kids, unless it's an emergency. She needs to see a pediatrician.

The main thing here Stegen is to keep the fever down. Childrens Tylenol if she is old enough, if not, and her fever gets much more higher, and I would make sure you cool her down manually with a room temperature, not cold, bath, and keep wet rags on her forehead. Fever is natures way of fighting off what ails you. It's necessary, but you don't want it getting too high.

I have always called my pediatricians when my kids fever gets too high. Usually their answering service will page them if it's something like that, and he can either arrange to see her, or give you some advice from a real doctor.
Fig

Disclaimer, while I am not a doctor, nor have I played one on tv, I have had three kids of my own, and spent many a night taking care of kids with a fever.
post #6 of 36 Old 05-10-2004, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig
That's because the hospital is tha last place you want to take your kids, unless it's an emergency. She needs to see a pediatrician.

The main thing here Stegen is to keep the fever down. Childrens Tylenol if she is old enough, if not, and her fever gets much more higher, and I would make sure you cool her down manually with a room temperature, not cold, bath, and keep wet rags on her forehead. Fever is natures way of fighting off what ails you. It's necessary, but you don't want it getting too high.

I have always called my pediatricians when my kids fever gets too high. Usually their answering service will page them if it's something like that, and he can either arrange to see her, or give you some advice from a real doctor.
Fig

Disclaimer, while I am not a doctor, nor have I played one on tv, I have had three kids of my own, and spent many a night taking care of kids with a fever.
well yesterday, we took her to her ped. and to the er. so we did see and talk her to ped. we are taking her temp as we speak. 102.2. we have the front door of the house open and its 75 in here. using rags to keep her cooler too.
post #7 of 36 Old 05-10-2004, 11:09 PM
Fig

How are you taking her temp? You know there's a difference between rectal and oral, and I don't mean the taste.. It's a temp difference. Or are you using one of the ear temp takers? Either way, that's high, but probably not as dangerous as 104. At or around 104, I would consider a bucket of icewater (Just kidding).

You are giving her lots of Pedialyte right? The other major problem when running a fever is dehydration, and you can't just tell. You need to give her lots of pedialyte, which might cause some of the diarreah. They make it in popsicles if she's big enough to eat them. That might help cool her down a little too.
Fig
post #8 of 36 Old 05-10-2004, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

she is taking it analy. (going to regret saying that one) when we took her to the er today, they put a iv in her and pumped her full of saline (i think) to hydrate her. we have been giving her buckets of pedialyte and it doesnt seem to be helping.
post #9 of 36 Old 05-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Fig

Alright, I have reread all your posts and mulled them over. A fever is ok, not something to worry about unless it starts getting over what she has right now. 103 would concern me, but 104 is dangerous from what I understand. Anyone, feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Doors open or not, I would not have her naked laying under a fan with wet blankets on her. Regulate her temp with cool rags on her forehead, and don't use the bathtub unless it gets any higher. You don't want to add shock to the list of problems, and dunking a feverish child in cold water will do it.

Do not feed her any dairy products while she is running a fever. Nothing worse than watching 5 minute old coagulated milk coming back up. The best thing is like I said earler Pedialylte, and since you mention she only has one wet diaper a day, she might be getting dehydrated. You want to avoid that because bad things start happening like kidney shutting down. She needs plenty of fluid ie: Pedialyte, and regulate the temp with cool rags, not a fan. Letting the fever run it's course is the best thing you can do, you just have to make sure she's safe while it's going. And most of all, don't panic. Like I said, I have been through a lot of these. Earaches, teething, fevers, it's all a test of your stamina..
Fig

Last edited by Fig; 05-10-2004 at 11:22 PM.
post #10 of 36 Old 05-10-2004, 11:23 PM

Stegen,

Let me tell you something brother. My son was healthy as a horse for the first two years of his life. Had nothing but the most minor illnesses.

A couple of weeks after his 2nd birthday he came down with something incredibly similar to what you are describing. He would lay on the floor and not move. He wouldn't eat, and everything we tried to get him to drink he would throw up. Took him to both the ER(my wife worked there)and later to the peedy. Both basically told us that it was a flu, just a really, really bad one.

Really scary stuff, I know. And I'm not saying this is the same as what your little girl has, but it describes what my son had to the letter.

Word to the wise, kill two birds with one stone. Get popsicles. Screw the pedialyte unless she starts diggin it[*edit*obviously she is. All the better](most kids really hate that **** for some reason and our doctor actually told us to stop trying to give it to him and just give him the popsicles). Just get those little popsicles that come in the small plastic wraps, I think they are usually called Pop-Ice or some such nonsense.

I know it's scary as hell, but hang in there best you can.

Just to let you know, my son laid on the floor without moving for almost four days when he had this flu.

Last edited by Mo Noyz; 05-10-2004 at 11:25 PM.
post #11 of 36 Old 05-10-2004, 11:26 PM
Fig

Stegen,
Go to webmd.com and type in rectal thermometer. With 102.3, you have to subtract 1 degree since it's rectal, which gives her about a 101.3. That's considered a mild fever according to:

http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw198785.asp?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

I think you are just fine, she and you guys need to just ride this out. Welcome to parenthood. It's only gets more complicated!!
Fig
post #12 of 36 Old 05-10-2004, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

being that they pumped her full of saline, she should be doing better like the doc said but it hasnt changed anything. we are still giving her ped. but i was thinking maybe a little chicken broth would help? what do you think?
post #13 of 36 Old 05-10-2004, 11:32 PM

Infant's Motrin is a better fever reducer. Brandon has had a couple fevers so far and the Motrin seemed to work within a few minutes. Fevers are not bad for babies, that is just how their bodies react. In fact, Brandon ran nearly 103 the night before he got his first tooth. He acted quite sick, but it was just his tooth coming in.
I'm not saying everything is fine, but it isn't necessarily extremely bad, either.
Go get some Infant Motrin drops, you can give them to her every ~ 6 hours. She should respond pretty quick. If the fever gets worse, then go to another hospital.
I know you said that she can only go to the one, but the fact is ANY emergency room has to treat and stablize ANY patient that comes through the doors regardless of insurance/monetary situation.

Last edited by BDA116; 05-10-2004 at 11:45 PM.
post #14 of 36 Old 05-10-2004, 11:38 PM

I'm with BDA and get the Motrin. I know when my kid gets sick thats what seems to work the best. I would freak out that he's sick and my wife would calmly try to get him to take the medicine (hardest thing in the world)...but once she finally gets him to swallow the meds, he seems to do better quickly.

Hang in there man.
post #15 of 36 Old 05-10-2004, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSIRIS
I know when my kid gets sick thats what seems to work the best.
Whoa. Whoa. You have a kid?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page