Fighting Traffic Tickets - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-23-2003, 1:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Re: Fighting Traffic Tickets

I really want to fight the speeding ticket I got yesterday because I feel that it was undeserved. *I was the #10 rider (sweep) in a group of 10 bikes. *The #9 rider and I were slightly behind the rest of the pack. *The deputy got the lead rider of the pack with laser and gave the whole pack the same ticket 59 in a 40 'because we were in a group'. *

I could plead guilty and pay $67 in court costs, $25 for defensive driving and $15 for a copy of my driving record to get out of it. *I wouldn't get any points, but I wouldn't be able to do it again for 1 year.

I could also plead not guilty and fight it in court but am afraid of losing and getting hosed.

Any advice?

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-23-2003, 1:36 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Fighting seems risky. Paying the fines are much cheaper than a lawer to reduce the risk. I would play it safe pay the BS fines and be done, but I'm a wuss. Problem is, not fighting allows a bad prescedent to be set for our sport.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-23-2003, 1:49 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Fight it! Several things to note from a layman's point of view.

Here's a decent website to get you started. Altho this is geared for Canadians, it'll give you a good general idea as to what to do.

FYST

Secondly, if you can, revisit the locale where you got caught. Take some pictures with a regular film camera (as digital pix are easier to doctor by and large). Write down everything that happened 10-20 second before, during, and after you've been stopped and ticketed. Do not lie to yourself. If you swore at the cop, write that down. You don't have to use it.... but the more detail you have down, the better you are prepared.

If your state has a law that says if the cop don't show up, charges get drop, then ALWAYS reschedule. Remember that you got burned at a speed trap, and you've got multiple defendants on that day. Chances are it'll be worth the Officer's time to show up and present the case trying to convict you. But changing court dates, you're throwing him off his schedule. Some cops will not show up if they're off duty or whatever. They already got their quota of tickets.

I think you have an extremely strong case in your favor. You weren't physically picked up on radar, which is more than good for you!!

Remember, innocent until proven guilty. The court must PROVE without a shadow of a doubt that you were at fault. If there's an inkling of doubt to the judge that the office MAY have made a mistake, you'll get off. Again, you weren't clocked, you just happen to be presumed guilty by association, and the officer admitted as much.

Good luck, by all account you should win this one.

Be fast or be last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-23-2003, 1:51 PM

Skully just take it to a traffic ticket lawyer, let him/her handle it.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-23-2003, 1:59 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
booth23 : Skully just take it to a traffic ticket lawyer, let him/her handle it.

It will cost you money, but stays off your record. I have
not had a ticket stick in several years this way.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-23-2003, 2:45 PM

Yeah about 20% of the time I get off and get out of it completely with no fine. The rest of the time, I have to actually pay the ticket, but nothing goes on my driving record and I don't have to take that defensive driving BS
post #7 of 15 Old 06-23-2003, 3:04 PM Thread Starter

What's the average ticket lawyer cost?

Craig
post #8 of 15 Old 06-23-2003, 3:09 PM

Fight it! Fight the harrassment! The fact that you were 9 of 10 puts you in a good position to just flat out deny it all, period.

See this web site Ticket Assassin

It's tailored for California, but is general enough to be of some value to you.

Good Luck!
post #9 of 15 Old 06-23-2003, 3:15 PM

I fight all the tickets I can. i.e. If they are local. I have only lost one. Although I haven't gotten one in years, I would still do it. *There is a great book on California tickets. 'How to fight your ticket and win!' by Nolo press. It has saved me a lot.

The only other alternative is to run. Leave the country. Go to Canada or Mexico. Become a fugitive biker you always wanted to be.

I go slow... I go slow...
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-23-2003, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Skully : What's the average ticket lawyer cost?
Depends on the county. To give you an example, when I lived in Tarrant County, I paid $40 per ticket, in Dallas $75, Collin County $125. Just depends man. You should be able to look up one in the attorneys part of the yellow pages. Some of those guys run ads 'Traffic citations'. Find an attorney that just primarily does traffic tickets.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-23-2003, 6:57 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Quote:
Skully : What's the average ticket lawyer cost?
Pennies if you think about the long term aspects of having that ticket on your record

Good luck!

01 CBR 929
08 Ducati 1098

Florida Trackdays

GiveGab

post #12 of 15 Old 06-23-2003, 7:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
fl-929 : Quote (Skully @ June 23 2003, 3:04pm)What's the average ticket lawyer cost?
Pennies if you think about the long term aspects of having that ticket on your record

Good luck!
If I plead guilty and take DD it doesn't go on my record. If I get another ticket within a year I'm not eligible to take DD again though.

I talked to the only ticket lawyer I could find in the book and was quoted $300. *He said the court date would be about 1 year from now.

Craig
post #13 of 15 Old 06-23-2003, 7:46 PM

Fight it. Every freaking one of them.

I've fought 11 so far. Lost 3 court appearances in 8 years. I got two tickets last year. I fought them both. I beat the first one fair-and-square.

I also was not even guilty of a crime in the 2nd one. .and the copy basically admitted to as much but the judge used some really obscure, on posted, on pobliczies moronic law that is in COMPLETE coflict with state law to fine me anwway. If I'd taken the time to hire the shark.. I'd have been off.

Fight it, and unless your case is iron-clad, hire a lawyer. WHATEVER YOU DO, AVOID PAYING ANYTHING TO THE ISSUING AUTHORITY!!! Paying the fines just tells hem it's OK to do that shiznit. And it's not.

I went to traffic school once in high school before I knew better.

If this was in CA (crap.. I can't see the locations on this reply page) there are some VERY strict requirements for running radar on a road and they all have to be met. I beet a bunch of tickets because the cops were illegally running radar in an unserveyd and un-approved area.

Research it, fight it. Keep the man honest!!!
post #14 of 15 Old 06-23-2003, 8:24 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Quote:
Skully : Quote (fl-929 @ June 23 2003, 5:57pm)Quote (Skully @ June 23 2003, 3:04pm)What's the average ticket lawyer cost?

Good luck!
If I plead guilty and take DD it doesn't go on my record. If I get another ticket within a year I'm not eligible to take DD again though.

I talked to the only ticket lawyer I could find in the book and was quoted $300. *He said the court date would be about 1 year from now.
That's what I mean about long term. *If you only get a ticket once in your life no problem, but riding a sportbike - the odd's are against you

The price might also depend upon where it happened (rural vs city). *Down here (dade, broward, palm beach counties) I pay $80 (you can find cheaper) and I forget about it (no court appearance, etc). *

I got stopped in a northern Florida county and it cost me $300, but its worth it as my insurance stays very low and I have a clean record for the next ticket.

Edit: typo

01 CBR 929
08 Ducati 1098

Florida Trackdays

GiveGab

post #15 of 15 Old 06-24-2003, 8:43 AM

Just for the record, an individual on our local board HSN
got arrested for having 'NO LP LIGHT'!!!

You can be arrested, it turns out for ANY traffic violation!!!

EDIT: TYPO

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page