MotoGP trickle down prediction. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-25-2003, 3:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 42

Re: MotoGP trickle down prediction.

How long til Honda adapts the tech to alter engine braking on a road going motorcycle?

I rode the VFR today for the first time in a few weeks, and had forgotten how pronounced the engine braking can be on that bike....hopefully this technology will make it onto a street bike someday as well...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-25-2003, 3:26 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I didn't know that MotoGP bikes were using that type of technology? You're talking about something more than a slipper clutch? Some sort of compression release? Forgive my ignorance.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-25-2003, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Pete : I didn't know that MotoGP bikes were using that type of technology? *You're talking about something more than a slipper clutch? *Some sort of compression release? *Forgive my ignorance.
Wait. Pete, are you asking a serious question, or are you humoring us? I feel like one of Pavlov's dogs, only instead of a bell and food, it is Pete's sarcasm and getting whacked on the hand. I'm waiting for the whack.

No not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-25-2003, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Pete : Forgive my ignorance.
Again?
post #5 of 14 Old 06-25-2003, 3:41 PM Thread Starter

I've only read about a couple of engine management schemes in testing. If you have fly by wire throttle actuation, you can control the butterflies on decel - ie close them slowly or even leave them open....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #6 of 14 Old 06-25-2003, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Heavy-Dee : Pete, are you asking a serious question, or are you humoring us? *
If I told you I was being serious, would you believe me? LOL.

In all seriousness, I was being serious with my questions. No bait...this time.

Sweetonion, bite me.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-25-2003, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Pete : Quote (Heavy-Dee @ June 25 2003, 3:29pm)Pete, are you asking a serious question, or are you humoring us? *
If I told you I was being serious, would you believe me? *LOL.

In all seriousness, I was being serious with my questions. *No bait...this time. *

Sweetonion, bite me. * *
I know I'm just busting your Pete-nuts. (<== really bad joke/pun). I need to go home.

Baketech, that is some cool stuff. Where can a boy learn more?
post #8 of 14 Old 06-25-2003, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Baketech : If you have fly by wire throttle actuation, you can control the butterflies on decel *- ie close them slowly or even leave them open....
But how does that affect engine braking? It's the deceleration of the pistons and crank that account for engine braking, not the fuel system, right?
post #9 of 14 Old 06-25-2003, 4:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Pete : Quote (Baketech @ June 25 2003, 3:41pm)If you have fly by wire throttle actuation, you can control the butterflies on decel *- ie close them slowly or even leave them open....
But how does that affect engine braking? *It's the deceleration of the pistons and crank that account for engine braking, not the fuel system, right?
A large component of the engine braking in a 4 stroke comes from the vacuum created by the pistions drawing against the closed intake tract...ie closed butterflies....

This is why 2 strokes (including diesels) have little engine braking.....they have basically open inlets....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
post #10 of 14 Old 06-25-2003, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Pete : Sweetonion, bite me. * *
Again? *

I too thought they were just using slipper clutches. *As far as the fly by wire and leaving the butterflies open is concerned, wouldn't that have adverse effects on the whole slowing down process? So, open butterflies but no fuel?

post #11 of 14 Old 06-25-2003, 4:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
sweetonion : I too thought they were just using slipper clutches. *As far as the fly by wire and leaving the butterflies open is concerned, wouldn't that have adverse effects on the whole slowing down process? *So, open butterflies but no fuel?
I think they are all working on the slipper clutch...but are finding that its a very complex problem.....

So some of them trying to deal with the problem at the source by altering the actual compression braking effect of the engine itself.

Edit:
Yes, open throttle plates would result in less engine braking...so it would behave more like a 2-stroke.

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
post #12 of 14 Old 06-26-2003, 7:58 AM

Thanks, Baketech, for the insight. Funny, I got my new issue of Cycle World in the mail yesterday, and there's a whole article dedicated to engine braking. I gots myseff all ejumakated.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-27-2003, 3:41 PM

Funnily enough I've recently been thinking that a slipper clutch would be one of the best ways of getting more performance out of a road bike in a track day situation.
I find that on the Blade it's quite tough to get it hard into a turn at high enough revs to get a really hard drive without getting more engine braking than is ideal. (maybe it's my technique, but I don't think so as I delay down changing until the last minute. This has it's own downside of keeping my feet occupied when I'd rather do other things)
I've not ridden a highly tuned four cyclinder, but if my MX experience is anything to go by highly tuned four stroke motors deliver less engine braking because of the reduced pumping efficiencies delivered by the extra cam overlap. i.e. a road sports bike may conceivably need a slipper clutch (or road to engine speed matching) device more than a pure race bike.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-27-2003, 3:48 PM Thread Starter

Thats kind of where I was going with this....I really like the engine braking while I am on the road, but it can be a bit much on the track....

If you had a way to change the amount of engine braking when going from track to street, I think it would be a good tool....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page