ot: Tire profiles - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-25-2003, 9:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: ot: Tire profiles

I know it's really odd to ask questions concerning tire profiles on a car in the .org, but I have confidence in the members here to give me a correct answer unlike some other forums I frequent. Besides, there's gotta be a few car nuts in here Here goes...

Let's take a 2003 Mustang GT w/ stock 17x8' rims w/ 245/45-17s on them. I go out and buy a set of 19x8' rims w/ 245/35-19s. I was under the assumption that since the 245 (tire width) was identical, and the 45/35 profiles make the tires the same relative height overall, that the contact patch (rubber touching the road) would be the same. The only difference would be the sidewall height, making the 17s better straight line preformers, and the 19s better cornerers. Am I crazy?

Thx in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-25-2003, 9:38 PM

Reputation Power: 20

More than you ever wanted to know about tires

http://tirerack.com/about/techcenter.html

EDIT: Oh, and to answer your question more directly, all things being equal, you're right

"...and you fellas can back me up on this. Once you've seen one woman naked... you want to see the rest of them naked." -Ron White
post #3 of 7 Old 06-25-2003, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Thx man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-25-2003, 11:31 PM

Reputation Power: 20

No problemo

"...and you fellas can back me up on this. Once you've seen one woman naked... you want to see the rest of them naked." -Ron White
post #5 of 7 Old 06-26-2003, 9:52 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

Quote:
Babbat : *Am I crazy?
Putting 19's w/35 series rubber on a car you assumedly want to terrorize public roads with @ high speed? probably...Id do 18'/40's at most, but thats just me, in the interest of rim preservation.
I do know NY has better roads (pavementwise) then Boston, so perhaps Im the one with the misconception.

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know
post #6 of 7 Old 06-26-2003, 10:19 AM

Reputation Power: 17

I didnt check the link N2 gave you, but the 245 and the 45 or 35 are a combination of the tire aspect ratio. *Simply put - when either number is changed, you change the sidewall height and overall tire width. *Changing to the the 245/35 is going to give you a lower profile tire (shorter sidewall height, and also a wider tire). *If you were to increase the first number and leave the second alone, you would get a wider tire with a higher sidewall. *Changing the first number doesnt create as drastic of a change as the the second does. *

If you are planning chrome wheels with a 35 series, expect to get some dents and possible cracks on the streets of NY (unless they have been repaved without the public being told about it).

post #7 of 7 Old 06-26-2003, 6:43 PM Thread Starter

Lol, actually it was in reference to a thread over @ stangnet. I was thinking about 18' or 19' rims, but since I don't even have the car yet, it was more of me confirming my knowledge concerning contact patch. Thx again guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page