BIKE Magazine - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 06-26-2003, 9:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 28

Re: BIKE Magazine

Ironic that I've been mulling over new motorcycle purchases when my issue of BIKE arrives in the mail yesterday. In a huge comparo between it, the Gixxer 1000, R1 and Daytona, the magazine awarded the win to the Fireblade, calling it the best ever road going 'sportsbike' produced. They're hinting at crowing it Bike Of The Year for a second straight when they get into that a few months from now.

They like the bike as is, enjoy the uber-light front end without a damper, laud the fit and finish Honda lays down on the machine, talk up its durability and suggest the thing that sets it apart from the more powerful GSX-R is that you can simply use all of the Honda. Mere mortals, they argue, will never go faster on the Suzuki across public roads.

A great read. Worth stopping by Borders if you've got some time on your hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-26-2003, 10:50 AM

Reputation Power: 20

I've given up on reading MOY opinions and crap like that. *Everyone's always disappointed that their bike isn't voted top, but just wait - some magazine is bound to pick your bike. *Another magazine stated the 954 didn't even come close to the GSX-R 1000, then it's the R1 and so on and so on. *I used to really be into these 'opinions', thus purchasing my '2000's Sportbike of the Year' CBR929RR, only to have the bike fall off the face of the Earth since then, never to be mentioned again (not even *in after market advertisements).

post #3 of 24 Old 06-26-2003, 11:29 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via Yahoo to Latebraking

So, just buy the bike with the type of performance that you set as a priority (power, handling, braking, etc.) and don't worry about what any magazine says about it, or whether or not it still tops the charts in popularity.

The 929 ain't the fastest for outright top speed or acceleration (never was), but the street environment pretty much cancels out the Gixer's and R1's adavantage in those areas. Handling and braking have been addressed by me and the aftermarket, so in those respects, my 929 has it over just about anything in any class.

MOY awards are not important to me. How my bike performs, and how it makes me feel are the most important things to me, which is why my 929 will be in my garage for quite a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 06-26-2003, 11:35 AM

I'm with ya' on that one SuperDave! Opinions vary from mag to mag. I read one the other day stating that the Gixxer is the 'best bike ever'! Who really cares, since it can also be called the 'ugliest best ever'!

I love my 929, and I would not trade it for an R1, Gixxer, or even a 954. To me the bottom line is what the bike does for you as an individual, and I love to ride my 929, I love the way it handles, brakes, and looks.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-26-2003, 2:17 PM Thread Starter

FWIW, I thought the article was a great read in spite of the fact the 'blade won top honors. If you've never spent the money on an issue or two of BIKE you don't know what you're missing out on.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-26-2003, 2:20 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ccwilli3 Send a message via Yahoo to ccwilli3

Yes, BIKE is my fav brit mag as well...

I have the issue that they rode 3000 miles on a RC51, I mean SP2 and a 998 to Imola to watch the WSBK race. *A very cool article and the type of stuff that isn't in the american mags. *It also had an article in there about V4s and how versatile it is. *How the crank can be arranged to deliver a power pulse like a V twin, or staggered to deliver an I4 type power delivery. *VERY COOL STUFF! *

Nothing like that ever in an American mag. *

VEE DUBB in da house... representin deutchland!
post #7 of 24 Old 06-26-2003, 2:28 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Quote:
Chain : FWIW, I thought the article was a great read in spite of the fact the 'blade won top honors. If you've never spent the money on an issue or two of BIKE you don't know what you're missing out on.
That is how 'Motorcyle Racer' is, all racing coverage. CEII writes an article every month, so does Eboz. F'in cool. Wouldn't take a crap without it

22 days until it begins...
post #8 of 24 Old 06-26-2003, 4:51 PM
ER

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to ER

I find the 'head-to-head-to-head' articles enjoyable to read because I like to see the different feedback. I would never base a decision to buy a bike on one though. The authors at Motorcycle Online admittedly are biased towards HP and engine performance and have dogged the Honda lineup as a result. Other authors might lean towards rider-friendliness and vote in that regard. Point is...opinions are like a$$holes and we all have one, right?
post #9 of 24 Old 06-26-2003, 7:22 PM

Reputation Power: 17

I love my 2000 model 929 and would not swap it for anything out there at the moment. Sure the bike was not perfect from the word go but with a couple of mods nothing comes close in regards to the overall package. I am also sick of the magazine articles giving thumbs up/down to the latest and greatest although I like reading them. The british mags are the most entertaining, the US mags are to boring yet informative. The OZ mags have the best of both worlds.

giggling nervously in the face of oncoming traffic...
post #10 of 24 Old 06-27-2003, 3:26 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Quote:
omen137 : *The OZ mags have the best of both worlds.
Just not enough of them around.

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

post #11 of 24 Old 06-27-2003, 8:58 AM Thread Starter

A few quotes from the article in question for those who haven't seen the issue yet...

'Fastest isn't necessarily better, we say. *Even in a class that's all about speed, usability has to be taken into account.'

'It's difficult to overemphasize just how good the Blade is - possibly, arguable, no, positively the best ever road-going sportsbike.'

'130 license trampling horses are ever ready to kick down the stable door.'

'Nothing, but nothing, ever seems to go wrong with them - and nothing needs improving. *Spend less time reading the bolt-on catalogues and more time riding.'
*(This excerpt was not lost on me.)

'Having done bikes for a living for 19 years, I'm often asked what I'd have if money were no object, and it's a question to which I'd never given a straight reply. *Until now. *Fireblade.'

Yeah, I managed a crooked grin after reading the comparo.
post #12 of 24 Old 06-27-2003, 3:30 PM

I'd bear in mind that Bike tend to cater for a more all round and conservative style of rider, and that they rate the bike on a wider set of data than just top speed and standing quarter.
That said I met a journalist from one of the big name 'full on' UK sportbike mags last week - he reckoned the Blade frequently delivered the best track lap times in tests but that editors were reluctant to print this as it did not fit with their own or their reader's pre-conceptions.
My own experience is that while when properly set up as race bikes they can go like hell (especially on fast tracks) GSXR 1000s tend not run fast at track days. The R1 is a nice bike but in the end has no advantage over the Blade, just a harder image.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-27-2003, 4:37 PM
ER

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to ER

Quote:
ondablade : My own experience is that while when properly set up as race bikes they can go like hell (especially on fast tracks) GSXR 1000s tend not run fast at track days. The R1 is a nice bike but in the end has no advantage over the Blade, just a harder image.
I've noticed this year that the 1000s and R1s I've seen at the track have been running pretty fast, actually. Unfortunately, there's only one other 929 there so we don't too much by which to compare. Still, Gateway is a tight, technical track so all that HP is hard to use and old men on beat-up 600s will still pass you on the outside.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-27-2003, 10:54 PM
Jay

Send a message via AIM to Jay

Seems to me like ten years ago mags did a better job of writing stories, now a days it does not seem to be the case.
I actually would like to see a mag. that maybe features real riders bikes, maybe something like the import market has for cars.

F5000sl Admin(mt & road biking)
CyclingCentralVA.org

MtbikingCentralVA.org
post #15 of 24 Old 06-28-2003, 12:39 AM

Reputation Power: 32

Quote:
Chain : Yeah, I managed a crooked grin after reading the comparo.
I love reading confirmations of the all-around greatness of the Fireblade. It confirms the wisdom of my choice (and investment), especially as relates to the very true concept that most of us (including myself, certainly) will never use a liter bike to the very maximum of its capability, so why not have one that is great-looking, fun to ride, forgiving, and has that legendary Honda quality?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page