Going to be buying a house in September. Need Advice - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 05-31-2004, 2:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Going to be buying a house in September. Need Advice

Ok, the time has come. Have a family and need to get off my lazy ass and get a house. I have a **** ton of bills, credit score is damn good, and unmarried. I dont want to spend over $70k so my choices are limited.

My dad is giving me $2500, GF mom is giving me $10k, and The bank I borrow from has a first time buyer program where they give you $5k and if you stay in that house for 5 years, you dont have to pay it back. so I have about $17.5 for a downpayment and costs.

My questions are:
  1. What expenses are their with buying a house? Example, closing costs and the such
  2. I have way to many bills and can they (bank) roll those into the mortage?
  3. What type of legalites are there with buying a house? Like, A lemon law, Time to close or lose etc.
  4. What type of taxing do i have to deal with and do I get any more back at the end of the year because I own a house?

I am sure I will come up with more questions but this is what i can think of now. thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 05-31-2004, 2:44 AM

Reputation Power: 27

Re: Going to be buying a house in September. Need Advice

Don't wait till September. Do it ASAP! Interest rates will be going up the next time Greenspan opens his Pie Hole!
AND GET A FIXED RATE if your planning on staying more than five years.
Your closing fees will all be worked into the loan.
Out of pocket will include a property report that YOU will arrange for. Although the owner will do one himself, it's "piece of mind" having someone you pay giving you a report (termite, mold, dryrot, condition of roof, wheather or not it's on a flood plain are just a few things they check).
You may have to pay for appraisal but most loan companies pay for it to secure your bussiness.

Ride Red
post #3 of 48 Old 05-31-2004, 3:24 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Not so happy making 19k a year anymore? Just kidding... I don't have any idea of the market in your area, thats such a localized thing. Typical conventional loans requier 5% down or so. Check into a FHA loan, based on your income you may qualify. Around here it is typical to have the seller buy you a one year home insurance policy to cover things like ac, water heater, furnance, etc going bad. Mine was like $450 for the year. You can sometimes bargin with the seller and see if they will cover some of the closing costs, even if it means adding it to the selling price, this will mean less cash out of your pocket. If your only looking on spending on 70k, you can probaly do it for 5k or so and use the rest of the cash to pay off your bills. When you build some equity in your place, you could then get a Home equity line of credit (heloc) to pay off higher interest rate bills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 05-31-2004, 4:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
Not so happy making 19k a year anymore? Just kidding... I don't have any idea of the market in your area, thats such a localized thing. Typical conventional loans requier 5% down or so. Check into a FHA loan, based on your income you may qualify. Around here it is typical to have the seller buy you a one year home insurance policy to cover things like ac, water heater, furnance, etc going bad. Mine was like $450 for the year. You can sometimes bargin with the seller and see if they will cover some of the closing costs, even if it means adding it to the selling price, this will mean less cash out of your pocket. If your only looking on spending on 70k, you can probaly do it for 5k or so and use the rest of the cash to pay off your bills. When you build some equity in your place, you could then get a Home equity line of credit (heloc) to pay off higher interest rate bills.
actualy i am at $23k now (and remember, i am only 22) Thats why i was hoping to god i got that job. anyway. thanks so far guys
post #5 of 48 Old 05-31-2004, 4:52 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via MSN to Will

Don't buy from a nigerian estate agent?
post #6 of 48 Old 05-31-2004, 5:06 AM

Reputation Power: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
Don't buy from a nigerian estate agent?

that's a bit low Will

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

post #7 of 48 Old 05-31-2004, 5:53 AM

1st get your credit report. Look for mistakes. fix your credit.
2nd Aim for getting your credit cards paid down to below half of the limit. Might have to shift some debt aroundThis improves your credit score.
3rd Calculate your debt to income ratio. Look up how to do this on the web. Lenders like to use this to determine how much you can borrow.
4th Lenders like to see that you have held the same job and employer for over 2 years.

If you dont look so good on paper or dont qualify for much.....You may want to get into the foreclosure market. I was watching realtytrack.com for a while. Buying a distressed house can be cheaper.

If all else fails find someone who owns a house outright and talk them into carrying the note. This means they are the bank and you make payments with interest to them.
post #8 of 48 Old 05-31-2004, 7:52 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to matt232

Check out your bank see if they have a 'club'/ service you can sign up to which give s you discounts to morgages and Credit cards.

e.g. from my bank

http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/...lthPackage.asp
post #9 of 48 Old 05-31-2004, 8:58 AM

You DEFINELTY need to do it sooner than later as explained above - the RATES will go HIGHER SOON

some more...

If you do not put 20% down you will pay PMI (Private Mortgage Insurance) and it can be quite costly So make sure you take that money that you are receiving and use it for the house.

Dont forget about the property taxes you will have to pay yearly to your state, they will add some cost to your monthly payments.

Insurance on the house - you must pay 1 full year up front. This is a smaller expense, but will bite you if you dont have the cash ready.

be prepared - have yout tax forms from the past 2 years ready, the bank will want to see them.

good advice on the credit report, however - i would not worry about paying the CC down, unless you can pay them off this month. you have to allow the time for the report to get back to the credit industry to make any difference.

Use a mortgage broker (internet) to shop around for a loan - you do not have to get a local loan. Look into first time home owner programs for assistance. And with your income level, you may qualify for additional assistance as well.

READ all about mortgages with this link. Self prep is the key to making this go well.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/rate/mtg_home.asp?link=5
post #10 of 48 Old 05-31-2004, 9:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba
good advice on the credit report, however - i would not worry about paying the CC down, unless you can pay them off this month. you have to allow the time for the report to get back to the credit industry to make any difference.
All good stuff. Just wanted to add something about this part. When I bought my house a few years ago, I had paid some things off right before that, and the bank I was buying the house through accepted letters from the creditors saying that the items had been paid off, even though they still showed up on my credit report.

Also, all the money that everyone is giving you, put it in the bank now (I can't remember how long it needs to be in there), otherwise you'll have to get notorized letters from them all stating that it was a gift and that you don't have to pay it back. Not a big deal, but still more trouble to go through...
post #11 of 48 Old 05-31-2004, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Wow, invaluable info, thanks alot guys
post #12 of 48 Old 05-31-2004, 2:01 PM

Wow, I wish I could buy a house for $70k out here. We bought our single story house (closed 31 Dec 02) for $154 OTD w/ all closing costs included. Fixed interest at 5%. Square footage is a measly 1521 sq feet and sits on a standard 40 x 60 lot.(VA Loan, so had to pay an origination fee, also financed 100% with no PMI due.) Anyway, the same house is now selling for $240k. This market out here is absolutely absurd for what you pay for. I guess its all attributed to the fastest growing city in the U.S., at a rate of more than 7,000 a week move here. Gotta love Vegas.

I agree with all above mentioned about buying now if possible. To me, a house is the best investment one can make, as the values rarely drop and always are going up. (it's not like a car, put it that way) My two cents...
post #13 of 48 Old 05-31-2004, 2:14 PM
Fig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba
If you do not put 20% down you will pay PMI (Private Mortgage Insurance) and it can be quite costly So make sure you take that money that you are receiving and use it for the house.
Note to everyone: If you have paid more than 20% in equity, don't forget to cancel this insurance. I read a story about people who paid above the 20% line, and are still paying this insurance.

Dookie I wish I could get one for 154k. The average price where I am living is around half a million. And I keep saying it that way to make sure I realize how much I am about to pay.. Or owe...
Fig

Last edited by Fig; 05-31-2004 at 2:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #14 of 48 Old 05-31-2004, 2:20 PM

My lawyer cost me about $700. Don't forget about them.
post #15 of 48 Old 05-31-2004, 2:21 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig
Note to everyone: If you have paid more than 20% in equity, don't forget to cancel this insurance. I read a story about people who paid above the 20% line, and are still paying this insurance.

Dookie I wish I could get one for 154k. The average price where I am living is around half a million. And I keep saying it that way to make sure I realize how much I am about to pay.. Or owe...
Fig
We don't count the zeros anymore where I live. It's just too depressing. I thought I saw an outhouse going for half a mil the other day.

Ride Red

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page