F**king FIRE..... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 06-02-2004, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ
F**king FIRE.....

Well I get home from work last night and as I open the garage door and walk past my bike all I smell is something burning. Now we're not talking like wood smell but the rank smell of plastic. So I'm thinkin ****, what is that awful smell. I go into the house and the whole place reeks. I looked all over the house and found nothing until I go into my bedroom. It was by far rthe worst of the whole house. I look out the window and the A/C unit is smoking like damn chimney..... . So I run back through the house and out the side door of the garage and man oh man what a stink. There is this large plume of smoke pouring out of the access panel. I run to get my Dry-Chemical extinguisher and began to debate wether or not to pull the panel or just call the FD. I called my dad and told him what was going on and he says he's right around the corner and will be home in like 45 seconds. I ran to the fuse panel and tripped the breaker to kill the power as it's making all kinds of popping noises and hissing sounds. So I stand watch with my fire killer in my hands waiting for my old man to get home. He comes hauling ass into the driveway and damn near jumps his pickup as he pulls in. We decide to err on the side of caution and call the FD to have them open the panel. I have seen this happen before and when the person opened it...POOF, boy had no hair left on his face.

The FD arrives and they whip out the IR heat sensor...pretty cool little doodad if you've never seen one. He says, "Oh yeah...that baby is burning up from the inside out." So they decide to pull the panel. Now would it not make sense that if someone called the FD and said that their A/C unit was smoking and could be on fire, that when you get out of the engine you grab an extinguisher???? Well not these morons. As soon as that panel cracked open the tiniest bit...BBQ time. All kinds of smoke and fire start pissing out and one of em says, "Huh, maybe I'll go get the extinguisher." WELL DUH. As he walks back to the engine the other two begin to back up cause it's getting bigger. Well I decided to say F**K It, and in my best Fire Marshall Bill..."Lemme Showya Sumthin", blasted the fire with mine since I was standing right there and the other guy seemed to be in no hurry to get his extinguisher. All done right? Wrong. Thething starts up agian and the third guy finally gets back with his extinguisher and begins to put out the fire. After about 8 minutes they finally are convinced it's out. The IR shows no more internal flame of heat so they call it quits.

This normally wouldn't be too bad to have no A/C this time of year in AZ but yesterday was 101 degrees, and the rest of the week is gonna be 104+. WTF, talk about the wrong time to have your A/C go up in smoke. This is the first real hot week of the year and now we have no cooling. Sleeping last night sucked until 11:00pm when it began to cool off. Right now it's 93 in the direct sunlight and it's only 8:45 am...man this is gonna be a bad week.

Dano

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-02-2004, 12:44 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Re: F**king FIRE.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperAZ
Right now it's 93 in the direct sunlight and it's only 8:45 am...man this is gonna be a bad week.

Dano
Dang, that's gonna be a nice and toasty weekend. Drink fluids I guess.

Glad you caught it in time and didn't spread to the rest of the house.

The FD boys sure sounded pretty nonchalant.

Be fast or be last.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-02-2004, 12:48 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Glad no one was hurt.A friend had a similar issue and the entire inside of his home was covered in a nice layer of soot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 06-02-2004, 1:03 PM

Too much bad stuff going on here lately. Good going Fireman Bill!
post #5 of 22 Old 06-02-2004, 2:08 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 32

Wow, glad that didn't get worse than it did!

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #6 of 22 Old 06-02-2004, 2:17 PM

Quote:
...and in my best Fire Marshall Bill..."Lemme Showya Sumthin", blasted the fire with mine...
I'm glad you fared better than he usually did.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-02-2004, 2:23 PM

good thing you didn't open that panel. good call.

I think the dudes from Speed sabotaged your house man. They found out about the bike

firefighters have no reason to put a small fire out, those crazy SOB like to see **** burn, big **** - like buildings. And they get paid the same if it is a big fire or small, so why not have a big one, right NH??
post #8 of 22 Old 06-02-2004, 2:46 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot

At least it's dry heat.... Sorry, I had too. I feel your pain somewhat. We had our AC unit go out a few years ago right after I had knee surgery and was immobilized in August... Go get a couple of fans to tide you over....
Chris
post #9 of 22 Old 06-02-2004, 2:57 PM

Man, that sucks. Too bad you're so far away, my condo has central air, so the window a/c unit I use to use is just gathering dust in the garage. Can you borrow one from someone or just buy a cheap one for your b/r? It sucks trying to sleep when you're sweating your azz off.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-02-2004, 5:05 PM

Reputation Power: 21

If it was called in as electrical problems or a smoke odor, we don't come rushing in with hoselines, we investigate first. Bringing the thermal imager was a good move with a valuable tool. If you ever see a fireman running, they are either a new guy or something bad is about to happen. When a fireman runs on the scene, he risks injury and would be of no use to you or your property. We walk briskly and safely to and from the truck to get equipment. Ever wear all that gear and try to run? It sounds like they did their job and your house is still standing. If you really knew how much those thermal imagers cost, you'd ****. If they didn't have them, they'd be tearing the **** our of your house feeling for heat. I'm sorry you had this happen but being in the biz of the FD, it sounds like they followed procedure just fine. Realize that it's "your" emergency and absolutely nobody else is as scared, nervous or concerned as you. Although we do care about people's property, we never move fast enough or arrive early enough while "your" emergency is happening. It is a matter of perspective. I take it personally when someone thinks that the FD didn't do their job fast enough or well enough when we don't come to your place of business and critisize your performance. Again, sorry to hear about your electrical problem but remaining calm in this situation is what you want from professionals that arrive. As you said, you and your dad both were a little "freaked out" and just about on the verge of a panic situation that won't help much in the time of an emergency and level headed thinking. That's why we are here when you call 911.
post #11 of 22 Old 06-02-2004, 8:52 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkeatr
If it was called in as electrical problems or a smoke odor, we don't come rushing in with hoselines, we investigate first. Bringing the thermal imager was a good move with a valuable tool. If you ever see a fireman running, they are either a new guy or something bad is about to happen. When a fireman runs on the scene, he risks injury and would be of no use to you or your property. We walk briskly and safely to and from the truck to get equipment. Ever wear all that gear and try to run? It sounds like they did their job and your house is still standing. If you really knew how much those thermal imagers cost, you'd ****. If they didn't have them, they'd be tearing the **** our of your house feeling for heat. I'm sorry you had this happen but being in the biz of the FD, it sounds like they followed procedure just fine. Realize that it's "your" emergency and absolutely nobody else is as scared, nervous or concerned as you. Although we do care about people's property, we never move fast enough or arrive early enough while "your" emergency is happening. It is a matter of perspective. I take it personally when someone thinks that the FD didn't do their job fast enough or well enough when we don't come to your place of business and critisize your performance. Again, sorry to hear about your electrical problem but remaining calm in this situation is what you want from professionals that arrive. As you said, you and your dad both were a little "freaked out" and just about on the verge of a panic situation that won't help much in the time of an emergency and level headed thinking. That's why we are here when you call 911.

I'm not bashing them as bad as you seem to think I am. By no means did I foresee them showing up sirens blairing and hoses flying all over the place. Just thought they would have at least grabbed an extinguisher during their "investigation". I was totally calm and didn't run all over the place screaming at the top of my lungs. The worst thing to do is run in such a situation. Hell I knew they wouldn't be running all over either...them damn Globe firefighters pants and boots alone are heavy as hell. I have tried the whole setup on...supplimental air supply and all...and **** I give them all the credit in the world. I am the last person who will tell someone that works in such fields how to do their job. They risk their life to save mine as well as houses and whatnot. So I am sorry for coming across as someone who tells them how to do their job. I apologize to you in the most sincere way.

As for the thermal imager...I work at Raytheon with, how can I say, VERY expensive high end military imaging and targeting equipment every day, and I can imagine just how much that little sucker goes for.

Dano

Dan
post #12 of 22 Old 06-02-2004, 9:08 PM

Reaper, that sucks! Just glad to hear that it didn't do more damage.
post #13 of 22 Old 06-02-2004, 9:27 PM

Well Dano I cant say how glad I am that you and your fam are okay, as well as your place of residence has no damage. As far as the next week or so w/o A/C thats going to be tough, maybe you should put in some extra time playing trivia (wish they had that someplace in Vegas)
post #14 of 22 Old 06-02-2004, 9:56 PM

In the meantime,buy a misting fan.They have a large water supply with a filter and the one I bought is a huge box fan.The instant you turn it on,a very fine water vapor is dispersed in the air stream,keeps a room very cool and keeps me from using the ac if only using 1 room.Like a cool mist humidifier,but much more powerful.This one is great,but needs a hose connection-windchill misting fan-
http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?t...1&log=&NavTop=

Last edited by jafo; 06-02-2004 at 9:57 PM.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-02-2004, 11:12 PM

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
I'm not bashing them as bad as you seem to think I am. By no means did I foresee them showing up sirens blairing and hoses flying all over the place. Just thought they would have at least grabbed an extinguisher during their "investigation". I was totally calm and didn't run all over the place screaming at the top of my lungs. The worst thing to do is run in such a situation. Hell I knew they wouldn't be running all over either...them damn Globe firefighters pants and boots alone are heavy as hell. I have tried the whole setup on...supplimental air supply and all...and **** I give them all the credit in the world. I am the last person who will tell someone that works in such fields how to do their job. They risk their life to save mine as well as houses and whatnot. So I am sorry for coming across as someone who tells them how to do their job. I apologize to you in the most sincere way.

As for the thermal imager...I work at Raytheon with, how can I say, VERY expensive high end military imaging and targeting equipment every day, and I can imagine just how much that little sucker goes for.

Dano

I appreciate your kind words and continue to express my sympathy for your problem. Hopefully all works out.

If I were them, I'd have grabbed your nearby extinguisher and used it as you did.

Those TIC's we carry are rumored to be between 12k and 15k a piece. We carry one on every engine. We've also been instructed to "be careful with them".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page