CCNA/CCNP? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 07-07-2003, 8:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: CCNA/CCNP?

Anyone CCNP certified?

Looking at expanding my networking knowledge a bit. *Isn't enough that I concentrated on networks for my BSEE degree, but no one believes you unless you are 'certified' at something...

So anyway, anyone out there certified in Cisco stuff? *What about Microsoft certifications?

How long did it take you to get it? *Just looking for general feedback really...

TIA!

CC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-07-2003, 8:56 PM

Reputation Power: 19

I was going to take the CCNA, but never got around to it, I hear it's mostly subnetting, about 70-100 multiple choice questions. I need to take that damn thing before I forget it.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-07-2003, 9:11 PM

I need to get my CCNA renewed. The first generation test was primarily concerned with the 7 levels of network communications and subnetting with some router and routing questions. The second generation tests covered routing and switching more but were still heavy on the network layers and subnetting.

The CCNA is a good entry level cert for routing. The skills for this are also very easily forgotten if you don't continue to work with them. CCNP is a much better cert to work towards. It gets much deeper into routing and configurations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-07-2003, 9:23 PM

I'm CCNA, MCSE, Compaq ASE, and Citrix although I think some of them aren't valid anymore, I haven't bothered keeping up with any except Microsoft. The CCNA test is good for starting in networking, it covers the basics of routing and the Cisco IOS.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-07-2003, 9:49 PM

i have my ccna. i would stay away from microsoft, unless you have a company that requires it. ALOT of the companies I deal with frown upon the MCSE certifications.

The NA took a day or 2 to sudy for and an hour to take it. Pretty simple really

post #6 of 17 Old 07-07-2003, 11:14 PM

Quote:
bubba : i have my ccna. *i would stay away from microsoft, unless you have a company that requires it. *ALOT of the companies I deal with frown upon the MCSE certifications.
It really depends on what you want to focus on, why wouldn't a company want someone that is an MCSE? *I have never heard of a company that would frown upon someone getting certified.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-07-2003, 11:19 PM

I have a CCNA and a *Cough(A+)* and *Cough(Network+)*

In pursuit of the CCNA I learned alot more than I needed. There are those that crash coursed it in bootcamp who I seem to know more than at times. Then there are those that couldnt subnet to save thier life but are great with fixing a network down situation. They know what typicly happens with a router and a telco.

Yeh alot of poeple are like:'oh you have a MCSE' and are really thinking (as if it really means anything). I have met more MCSE guys that are incompetent than competent.

When I took the CCNA back in sept, I was hit hard with subnetting (class b subnetting x.x.252.0 stuff) and bridging. The routing was the easy part.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-07-2003, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback gents...

One class I took at NCSU in Data Communications, we must have spent 5-6 weeks on subnetting and how to tune it to control traffic, etc... Thats good info to have, thanks, keep it coming!

I'll likely go CCNA and then CCNP... What else is out there? Excellent feedback, I knew we had some network guys around here!
post #9 of 17 Old 07-08-2003, 1:42 AM

I don't have either, (A+ woo hoo!!!)but took semeser one and two for the CCNA (My AA required the classes).

The Cisco people I know are much more technical and really have a clue.
I really think a few years ago people thought MCSE was the ticket to a high paying job and they would do anything to get certified. I've met a lot of MCSE people that couldn't network to save their lives.

Do Cisco...

That was the best race I have ever seeen....
post #10 of 17 Old 07-08-2003, 2:12 AM

Quote:
knip : I don't have either, *(A+ woo hoo!!!)but took semeser one and two for the CCNA (My AA required the classes).

The Cisco people I know are much more technical and really have a clue.
I really think a few years ago people thought MCSE was the ticket to a high paying job and they would do anything to get certified. I've met a lot of MCSE people that couldn't network to save their lives.

Do Cisco...
Ditto on the MCSE-not knowing chit. I've met quite a few people that had some sort of MSCE certs and I wanted to ask them if they ever had problems tying thier shoes
post #11 of 17 Old 07-08-2003, 2:24 AM

COOL there are some other networking geeks around here! I have the CCNP and DP, just passed my IE written. I have been dealing with Cisco gear for about 5 years. I wouldn't waste the time on the MS stuff. As far as certs go, it's really easy to weed the 'paper' guys with those who really know what is going on.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-08-2003, 2:46 AM

I guess you guys are living in a world of just routers and switches, last time I checked most companies have a server room filled with Msft servers. I don't disagree that choosing a career in networking is great, get the CCNA and move up to a CCIE and have some great oppurtunities wherever you turn.

But the bottom line is that most of the very smart people I deal with in the Microsoft arena are MCSE certified, I can't speak for the networking side of the house, the companies I work with are big enough that these are different job responsibilities. I was one of those guys that thought that getting my MCSE was a ticket to a job and it worked out great for me.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-08-2003, 9:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to QuikMike

also Charlie, you also may want to check out the CCDA and CCDP....it is more geared toward network design....I am thinking of pursuing that myself...as a matter of fact, I have a few of the CCDA/DP and NA/NP study guides at home....let me know if you want to check them out....

"Make your next move your best move"

-The King of the South, T.I.-

My BlogSpace
post #14 of 17 Old 07-08-2003, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The MS issue comes up a LOT in the IS industry. The problem is that 5 or so years ago everyone and their dog went through the 'specialized school' system of getting their MCSE. It really watered down the cert. Most companies that actually care won't even look at a guy that just finished a MCSE cert program. Now if you have years of experience along with the cert, then it's a whole other ballgame. Honestly, the CCNA Cisco cert is getting the same way. It's not as bad as the MCSE deal yet, but it's getting there.
Just think about what section of the IS industry you want to concentrate on the most and go from there. If you want to go into network infrastructure, then skip the MS stuff and go with Cisco. The CCNA is a good basic starting point as it is so easy to pass. Then move on from there. Getting a CCNE is a great goal, but Cisco still limits how many CCNE certs there can be. They don't want it watered down like the MS thing.
The most important thing you can do, though, is get experience. Experience counts for more than the certs in the real world.
Piling up certs won't hurt you, they just cost money and you need to decide for yourself if it will be worth it.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-08-2003, 2:23 PM

Most of the admins at my work are old school, they have the knowledge and don't need Microsoft to tell them how competent they are. A lot of companies are like that. Only the big money guys have their certs and those are after the fact (because they need it for promotion).

My boss would rather see a degree and experience over MCSE and experience.

Bladerider, I'm glad you got yours, but there are so many others out there that are oxygen theives.

That was the best race I have ever seeen....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page