Work shtuff - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 Old 06-17-2004, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

Work shtuff

Here's the cliffnotes version of the story.....

Back in November Company A, which is actually owned by Company B hires me as a help desk/desktop technician. Between then and now tons of crap hits the fan, Company B actually gets bought up by Company C, an investment firm, everybody's freaking out, etc etc etc.

Company A recently decides that they're sick of the corporate BS and they're gonna quit and start a new company and go back to their old ways. Company B who is technically my employer hires a new director a few weeks ago to start working things out because Company A is leaving and Company B and C will be left with no IT department.

Since Company A is leaving, that leaves me and another guy, codenamed Slingblade, and the new director to run the show here. We have over 30 offices spread over 5 states, and this network is the biggest rats nest I've ever seen, and I've seen a few. Any of you that are in IT know that this cannot be a pretty situation, and it's not. Not even close to it. On top of that, the director is not a very technical person as he's been a director for 8 years, and English is a second language for him. "Slingblade" is worthless. He can't even install a network printer without asking for help. Doesn't call people back, ignores problems, etc Guess who gets to clean up his litter? Oh yeah, he also makes more than I do, and he's supposed to be my manager

The director came into my office this morning, and we sat and talked for about an hour. He flat out asked me if I plan on leaving with Company A. So I came back and asked him what kind of a future I have here. From there the conversation evolved into him basically saying that I can do whatever I want here. He wants me to help him rebuild the network, implement new systems, etc etc. So I basically just got offered a systems admin/engineer job The transition will take months obviously, as I'll have to learn the ins and outs of the current system so we can maintain it while we look at new things and bring them in. I've had tons of ideas, and since the conversation has ended my mind has gone into top gear to try and figure out what we need to do first.

This is one hell of an opportunity for me, I'm gonna take it and run like hell. It's some serious experience to be gained, and an awful lot to learn. Those of you that pray, keep me in your prayers 'cuz I'm gonna need it. This is truly a blessing, I'm very very excited about this opportunity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 06-17-2004, 11:02 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 31

Re: Work shtuff

Hope it works out for you!

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #3 of 49 Old 06-17-2004, 11:03 AM
dB

Reputation Power: 0

Go for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old 06-17-2004, 11:05 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Congrat's.....sounds like a good opportunity
post #5 of 49 Old 06-17-2004, 11:08 AM

Congrats!
post #6 of 49 Old 06-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Congrats. Did you discuss compensation?

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #7 of 49 Old 06-17-2004, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider
Congrats. Did you discuss compensation?

Not yet. I figured I'm better off learning everything before I do that, this way I have something to bring to the table. If things don't work out, I can always revert back to my current position, or find a job elsewhere, without getting fired from here since it hasn't really cost them anything for me to learn this stuff. Also, this way I can walk in and say this is what I know, this is the title I want, and this is the pay I want. If they say no I can walk with a solid knowledgebase and find a job elsewhere, and they're screwed.
post #8 of 49 Old 06-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Sounds like you've really thought it through. Just remember...don't underestimate your value to the company. If you're good, they'll want to compensate you fairly so as not to lose you.

You ARE coming to Grattan, right?

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #9 of 49 Old 06-17-2004, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider
Sounds like you've really thought it through. Just remember...don't underestimate your value to the company. If you're good, they'll want to compensate you fairly so as not to lose you.

You ARE coming to Grattan, right?
Don't worry, I'm not shy. I know that if I'm gonna make any money, it'll be with the initial discussion/offer. I'll be lucky to get anything out of them afterwards. That's not just here, but everywhere.

And I'm definitely coming to Grattan
post #10 of 49 Old 06-17-2004, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
Not yet. I figured I'm better off learning everything before I do that, this way I have something to bring to the table. If things don't work out, I can always revert back to my current position, or find a job elsewhere, without getting fired from here since it hasn't really cost them anything for me to learn this stuff. Also, this way I can walk in and say this is what I know, this is the title I want, and this is the pay I want. If they say no I can walk with a solid knowledgebase and find a job elsewhere, and they're screwed.
I'd be careful trying to get paid on the backend of a job. If they already have from you what they need, there is no motivation to pay you more.

Sounds like you could easily say "You want me to do x, y, and z. That's fine. I welcome the opportunity, but I have some stipulations. They are a) pay me $x, get rid of Slingblade, and make me the manager of whoever you hire."

My opinion, and it is easy for me to talk b/c it's not my ass on the line. But you may want to think about it.

HD
post #11 of 49 Old 06-17-2004, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-Dee
I'd be careful trying to get paid on the backend of a job. If they already have from you what they need, there is no motivation to pay you more.

Sounds like you could easily say "You want me to do x, y, and z. That's fine. I welcome the opportunity, but I have some stipulations. They are a) pay me $x, get rid of Slingblade, and make me the manager of whoever you hire."

My opinion, and it is easy for me to talk b/c it's not my ass on the line. But you may want to think about it.

HD
I'm not going to ask for all this at the back end of the job. I'm gonna ask for it before we start on anything new, but after I learn the current system. Sorry if I wasn't clear...
post #12 of 49 Old 06-17-2004, 12:42 PM

Quote:
figure out what we need to do first
Understanding what position you are in, just keep these things in the back of your mind for the time being:

(1) A retention bonus is not out of the question, and is quite customary in such circumstances.
(2) Get any promises made to you in writing. In fact, what you should do RIGHT NOW is send this director an e-mail as a follow-up to your discussion, restating what you covered, and ask him to respond with his confirmation. You can play it down by saying something like "I just want to make sure that we're on the same page, etc., etc. Please let me know if I've got this right." or something to that effect.
(3) Watch your back.
post #13 of 49 Old 06-17-2004, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-Dee

HD

GO for it! Congrats!

J
post #14 of 49 Old 06-17-2004, 12:46 PM

All the best to ya pal, and I partially agree with Heavy-Dee. If they are offering you this opportunity, they already see value in the change, so don't be shy. I know what you're saying though. I've felt the same way at times.

BTW, I was thinking, 30 offices over 5 states, man there's an opportunity for mega riding on the company expense.

EG, the company I work for has plants in NC, SC, LA, VA, DE, etc. I haven't travelled to them all, but when I go somewhere I get a chance to ride for hours, while getting paid my wage (I usually travel one day my time and one on company time), plus $0.37 / kilometer (that's like $0.59 / mile). So, a trip to Louisiana or South Carolina works out to some decent bucks.

Not trying to jack your thread, just saying this may be hidden benefit you may not see. I like it.
post #15 of 49 Old 06-17-2004, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Understanding what position you are in, just keep these things in the back of your mind for the time being:

(1) A retention bonus is not out of the question, and is quite customary in such circumstances.
(2) Get any promises made to you in writing. In fact, what you should do RIGHT NOW is send this director an e-mail as a follow-up to your discussion, restating what you covered, and ask him to respond with his confirmation. You can play it down by saying something like "I just want to make sure that we're on the same page, etc., etc. Please let me know if I've got this right." or something to that effect.
(3) Watch your back.
OK Pete, who wrote this for you??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page