Want to start a pool? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

View Poll Results: How long does this guy go before hurting something?
a few days 1 6.67%
a few weeks 6 40.00%
before the end of the season 7 46.67%
he lives until 30. All bets off after that. 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-17-2004, 3:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Want to start a pool?

How long do you think it will be before there is a post about crashing?

A post from a local message board...
Quote:
This winter I came upon a deal on a r1 that I coun't pass by. I took the course and got my M2. I know that I will get screwed but where can I get the cheapest quote. So far I checked out 1 place and I got $3500 a year for basics. Can I get it cheaper anywhere else? I'm 26 years and perfect driving record
Keep in mind that an "M2" means they've had a 2 day safety course (MSF)

A follow up post...
Quote:
I test rode the R1 and I had no problems. I rode few bikes like 750 before and probably dirt bikes are the biggest challenge. Many people scared me talking about the R1 but since when I took it for a ride few times it was not much different then riding a friends GS500, just the position was different and power. Other wise its easy.

Jordan H.
The three most feared words in racing, "Powered by Honda".

Last edited by nomad; 06-17-2004 at 3:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-17-2004, 4:01 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Want to start a pool?

I want to pick the day that falls 3 days after he takes possession of the bike.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-17-2004, 4:21 PM

I'm going with two weeks (14 days) after taking possession. I'm also going to go as far as saying he only does cosmetic damage but his second crash of the this summer will structural (ie: frame) How's that for predicting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-17-2004, 4:57 PM Thread Starter

I see nobody is taking the long shot of this guy living until 30....

Jordan H.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-17-2004, 6:30 PM

I'll give the guy a chance. Go Super-Squid go. He might drop it but nothing serious.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-17-2004, 6:34 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Quote, "it was not much different then riding a friends GS500"

I'm not going to bet on a tragedy.

Ride Red
post #7 of 12 Old 06-17-2004, 10:33 PM

Doesn't sound that bad yet. I went from '73 CB360 in high school, to 2001 Shadow 750 to 954 and I'm still alive.

Not everyone who starts on a big bike immediately becomes a squid.

HD
post #8 of 12 Old 06-18-2004, 7:14 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-Dee
Doesn't sound that bad yet. I went from '73 CB360 in high school, to 2001 Shadow 750 to 954 and I'm still alive.

Not everyone who starts on a big bike immediately becomes a squid.

HD
Actually, that sounds like a very reasonable progression. You didn't start on a big bike, you had a 360 first, then a cruiser. A 750 Shadow doesn't have the same acceleration as, say, a Gixxer 750 sportbike. At least I don't think so. You learned the basics on two smaller bikes before going to a liter sportbike. It sounds like this guy has basically no experience on smaller bikes (other than the occasional ride on a friend's GS500) and has purchased an R1 for his first bike.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-18-2004, 7:40 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro
Quote, "it was not much different then riding a friends GS500"

I'm not going to bet on a tragedy.

Me neither, give the guy a break. No one here can say they've never had an incident on a bike, I don't care how long you've ridden. It's just how he handles the situation if it should occur and how respectful he is of the power.

A good friend of mine recently bought a R1 with no other riding experience except for the occasional Harley rental. He did however own a moped when we were kids, and rode it till he was 16. He went with the R1 because of the cost factor; he originally wanted a Harley. I advised him to at least look into getting a 600 and start off slowly, but this was his choice. He also reminded that for all the experience I had, I've managed to crash more than once.

We all participate in a dangerous sport, hobby, call it whatever, but lets not assume people are squids because they are less experienced and want to jump on a bike that took us years to progress to. Just my opinion.

In the end we all fart the same.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-18-2004, 2:11 PM
Fig

It's not like he was talking about how far he can wheelie now.. I don't see the concern, or squidliness. For Pete's sake, he took the MSF course, and the two day one at that. What is it going to take to make anyone happy around here. It's like you have to run naked up Pike's Peak with a truck strapped to your balls to get the ok to go out and buy a liter class bike. I mean hey, I am against squidliness just like anyone else, but this guy has been on bikes before, and taken the proper courses, and you guys are betting on how fast he crashes?? But, if someone in the "club" goes down, we are all upset. I find it a little hypocritical..
Fig
post #11 of 12 Old 06-18-2004, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig
It's not like he was talking about how far he can wheelie now.. I don't see the concern, or squidliness. For Pete's sake, he took the MSF course, and the two day one at that. What is it going to take to make anyone happy around here. It's like you have to run naked up Pike's Peak with a truck strapped to your balls to get the ok to go out and buy a liter class bike. I mean hey, I am against squidliness just like anyone else, but this guy has been on bikes before, and taken the proper courses, and you guys are betting on how fast he crashes?? But, if someone in the "club" goes down, we are all upset. I find it a little hypocritical..
Fig

Don't drive a hearse in the carpool lane.
F.D. 2844
post #12 of 12 Old 06-19-2004, 1:13 AM Thread Starter

Further posts...

Quote:
I had the bike so far upto 4th gear and 120km/h. If I can't get the insurance, I'll trade it in for a R6 or a CBR600RR. I noticed theres a great deal of power change at 7000rpm.

Just to let you know I know 2 guys that started on R1 and non of them had bike experiance before. They both did fine. One had an accident racing with experianced drivers but nothing happened to him. I understand the danger
Quote:
Just to let you guys know, I've been ridding for a month now on the R1, made over 1000km and have 0 problems. The only issues I have that I sometimes shift to neutral from first cause the shifter travel is slightly longer between 1 and 2 then the rest of the gears. Its a very nice cruising bike in the twisties and easier(to me atleast) to ride on the street then a 600 which I drive recently. I am very happy with my decision to keep it as I believe its the rider not the bike that puts you in trouble. And I'm paying $94/month for full coverage. Dirt bikes are way harder to ride then a R1.

I have some nice twisties around my areas where I spend some time. And I'm taking it very easy practising turns, braking etc. I'm getting on average 5-5.5L/100km fuel economy which is much better then the rest of my friends.

Actually I lied, I had few small insidents but they are not R1 direct. First after greasing the chain I accidently spayed some on the tire then I made a wonderful slow speed drift on one of the turns, seconds a lady in a SUV didn't notice me(I noticed her) and had to get out of the way thanx to high torque of 1000cc it was much easier then it would be in a 600 which I would probably have to shift down.

I believe if your responsibe and a easy learned your should have no problem ridding a R1 as your first bike.
(Looks like he survived more than a month!! barely)

Quote:
I plan to take it to the track, but track day pricing gas gone way up this year and it was like $250 last year. Anyways its Red, polished frame, 2001 R1 with undertail, few carbon-fibers pieces, undertail, frame sliders, red tach. For now I'll take it easy on twisty coutry roads.
Anyone need bits? Start putting dibs in now...

Jordan H.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page