Those who have gone back to school... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-18-2004, 1:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Those who have gone back to school...

....I never thought it would be a big deal, but it sure is going to be hard to get used to doing this again! (And it's only been a little over 4 years since I graduated) I bought the book about a month ago for the class I'll be taking and last night did some of the problems. It's just plain weird to do work for nothing (other than learning)...and since it's taken me a month to get on it, I see my tendency to procrastination is still strong as ever.

Orientation Monday, and class starts Tuesday. There goes the summer.

To those who went back after 10 or 20 years, you have a newfound respect from me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-18-2004, 1:49 PM
ER

Re: Those who have gone back to school...

Oh, I'm sure it has to be tough. I can't imagine going back to class with the busy schedule my wife and I keep. I'll just have to make sure that whatever career I choose after the one I'm on now doesn't require any college work...
post #3 of 18 Old 06-18-2004, 2:00 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 31

I'm working on a class for an industry designation right now. Test is in September and I just can't get motivated on it...

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-18-2004, 2:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerblade
I'm working on a class for an industry designation right now. Test is in September and I just can't get motivated on it...
I do "bookwork" for work, but it's always to solve a problem. So much harder to get motivated for a grade. Oh well, just gotta get used to the game again.

post #5 of 18 Old 06-18-2004, 2:08 PM

I started school at 23, and it was tough in the beginning. I never did and still don't about making an 'A'. I'd shoot for 85ish percentile and end up hitting 80-81th percentile. Procrastination will occur, just make sure it gets done.

I also feel your pain as grad school awaits me shortly (would like to start in January if I'm still in the rain zone), just do it and quit thinking about anything else. What always helped me was that I'd tell myself 'you can't do that', and 'you are going to fail' then I'd get pissed and do it. Like I'm showing someone what I can do,
post #6 of 18 Old 06-18-2004, 2:15 PM

1 more week to go and I'm done....for two weeks anyhow.

Man, I can NOT wait for those two weeks. I'm just about all burnt out right now.

I waited ten years to go back. It's tough.

Last edited by nhfirefighter13; 06-18-2004 at 2:16 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-18-2004, 3:16 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
I do "bookwork" for work, but it's always to solve a problem. So much harder to get motivated for a grade. Oh well, just gotta get used to the game again.
LTL,

Do you have your P.E.? I just took the Mechanical test in April....again! My procrastination tendencies took over the first time, and it's tough studying through the summer. Hopefully this time I got it. I felt much better about it this time.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-18-2004, 3:26 PM Thread Starter

Nope. I took and passed my EIT in college (and it got me in tax trouble! fuggin CA) but haven't really had the motivation to do the PE. In fact, in some ways I'm demotivated due to the extra liability you have as an engineer if you're a PE.

If you passed, CONGRATS! That's supposed to be a pretty hard test.

post #9 of 18 Old 06-18-2004, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Nope. I took and passed my EIT in college (and it got me in tax trouble! fuggin CA) but haven't really had the motivation to do the PE. In fact, in some ways I'm demotivated due to the extra liability you have as an engineer if you're a PE.

If you passed, CONGRATS! That's supposed to be a pretty hard test.
Actually I think it's easier than the EIT. EIT is much broader scope with math, dynamics and all that other junk that you studied a little bit of for 4+ years and you can't bring any reference materials. PE has 2 halves, 1st half is (for mechanical engineers) filled with Hydraulics, Machine design, or HVAC. Then in the afternoon you pick one of those 3 modules to focus on for the rest of the time. I actually didn't think it was that bad, I was just REALLY under prepared. If I studied for it 1/2 as much as I did for the EIT or any other test I took during college I would have passed the PE first time no prob. As it stands I am crossing my fingers until July 16th when the results come out.

-Shrub

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-18-2004, 4:16 PM Thread Starter

Our studying involved going out drinking in Sac the night before the EIT. I took it just to see what it was like and planned to study for the next time. Most everyone in our group didn't pass, guess I got lucky. What actually helped me was that I was a dual major, ME/EE for a while, so I had a bit broader knowledge than most.

The day of the EIT I saw dudes with wagons full of books rolling in for the PE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetShrub
I actually didn't think it was that bad, I was just REALLY under prepared. If I studied for it 1/2 as much as I did for the EIT or any other test I took during college I would have passed the PE first time no prob. As it stands I am crossing my fingers until July 16th when the results come out.

-Shrub
Really? Maybe I'll take the PE after I've been back in school a bit and am used to studying. When I was interviewing for jobs, nobody seemed to know what the EIT was so I've always considered the whole thing pretty useless. None of my co-workers has any of this stuff. My friend who works for CalTrans however, got a huge raise when he finally passed the EIT.

Will you get a raise if you get your PE?

post #11 of 18 Old 06-18-2004, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Our studying involved going out drinking in Sac the night before the EIT. I took it just to see what it was like and planned to study for the next time. Most everyone in our group didn't pass, guess I got lucky. What actually helped me was that I was a dual major, ME/EE for a while, so I had a bit broader knowledge than most.

The day of the EIT I saw dudes with wagons full of books rolling in for the PE.

Really? Maybe I'll take the PE after I've been back in school a bit and am used to studying. When I was interviewing for jobs, nobody seemed to know what the EIT was so I've always considered the whole thing pretty useless. None of my co-workers has any of this stuff. My friend who works for CalTrans however, got a huge raise when he finally passed the EIT.

Will you get a raise if you get your PE?
I will probably get a raise but being an HVAC engineer it pretty much keeps me from being limited in my career. I could only go so far before I will need to sign and stamp my designs.

I had friends that passed the EIT with hang overs too.

As long as you know fluids you should be fine. I'd say 80% of the morning "mixed" session had something to do with fluids. Pumps, fluid loss (bernouli's equation), ducts, all that junk. The machine design guys get screwed because they don't do that stuff very often. Very few springs and gears and shafts and junk on the test.

They changed it all to multiple choice too, like the EIT. Only draw back is now the test costs $275. My work picked up the tab on that though luckily because it's considered professional development. So were the books and a review class.

-Shrub

post #12 of 18 Old 06-28-2004, 2:00 PM

Found out Saturday I passed my P.E. exam! WOOHOO!!!

post #13 of 18 Old 06-28-2004, 2:04 PM Thread Starter

Congratulations WetShrub!

post #14 of 18 Old 06-28-2004, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetShrub
Found out Saturday I passed my P.E. exam! WOOHOO!!!
post #15 of 18 Old 06-28-2004, 2:23 PM

Congrats. Never took the EIT.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page