Any Jeep TJ owners out there? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-07-2003, 5:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Re: Any Jeep TJ owners out there?

I'm considering one.

Pros, Cons?

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-07-2003, 8:15 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I dont Own one but a Good friend of mine is a Jeep GURU,
want his # ?

SS
post #3 of 11 Old 07-07-2003, 8:15 PM

I had a 98 TJ. Sold it about a year ago. With the exception of storage room, I regret selling it. Best darn 4x4 ever made. Period. As long as you don't get one that has been beat to hell and back (like mine was) you should be fine. I'll try to dig up some old pics for ya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-07-2003, 8:33 PM

I know a bit about jeeps. What do you want to know? Any specifics or just general opinions. If it's a commuter get the 4 cylinder, if you're ever gonna play or like power get the inline 6 4.0L engine. Again, if you're ever gonna play or put bigger tires on it get the dana 44 rear axle. If you wanna buy a very capable off-road jeep get the new rubicon, it's pretty damn good. As far as driving, a new tj with stock tires drives like every other car/suv and has all the same features (a/c, cruise, etc..) If you're in cold/snowy areas or worried about theft you'll want to invest in the hard top and full doors. You can get all kinds of options with a jeep and there are many different models that come with standard options for each. They are very reliable and real easy to work on yourself if you're the home mechanic type.

If you want specifics on anything feel free to ask and I'll tell you! Hope this helps a bit!
Mark
post #5 of 11 Old 07-07-2003, 9:07 PM

Not to bust anyones balls here but I owned a 98 TJ myself (6 popper) and I could not get rid of the thing fast enough. Tranny problems,Brake problems...Oh and if you need to take it into the dealership (warranty) for work it's amazing how fast they forget who you are! If it takes more then 5 minutes to fix then forget it. I went to the top on this one and was left out to dry. Go check your rear end fluid on one of these babys...all you need to do is pop out the PLASTIC PLUG. They hit a home run on that one. I checked out a few sites on the issues I was having and I was not alone. Oh, and I was getting about 14 miles to the gallon....what a piece of
post #6 of 11 Old 07-07-2003, 11:48 PM

Reputation Power: 20

I am the original owner of a 97 sport 4.0. This is as close to a motorcycle as you can get on four wheels. I've said that I am going to sell it for the last two years, but still find a way to hold onto it. Way too much fun.

Cons: Storage space (only reason why I will sell it), tad slow, low towing rating, noisy top (much quieter with top down).

Had to take it in once because a hose or something got clogged and water was leaking onto the passenger floor. That's it. Changed oil, one set of tires (it's been real easy on on tires), etc.

Pros: It's fun! Girls love it, especially down by the beach Unlimited mod potential. I definitely recommend

01 CBR 929
08 Ducati 1098

Florida Trackdays

GiveGab

post #7 of 11 Old 07-07-2003, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. It will be used mostly for commuting in town, not on the highway much. I was hoping that Chrysler had mad some fixes to the quality control over the past few years. We test drove one Saturday and liked it but we are still looking around.

That is the 2nd bad thing I've read about Jeep warranty issues.

Craig
post #8 of 11 Old 07-08-2003, 5:46 AM

I only had 1 problem not caused by myself. The instrament cluster had to be replaced approx. 5 times while I owned it. It had apparently gotten wet, so therefore half the time it wouldn't work. Although like I said, it was a re-occuring problem. That's it for me. Even after it was out of warranty, Chrysler still fixed it for me since I had a history w/them. No complaints here. I'm leaving out of town for now. I'll be back Thurs. nite, so I'll post more then.

Later fellas.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-08-2003, 7:41 AM

I work at a full franchise daimlerchrysler dealer and th TJ's are in here the least of any vehicle we sell. They are excellent vehicles.IMHO
post #10 of 11 Old 07-08-2003, 9:29 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

I hear that they are WAY better then the YJ was...seeing how my YJ was a money pit...

Team Honda - well sorta...
post #11 of 11 Old 07-08-2003, 9:54 AM

I've owned a Jeep for about 10 years now, and I have to say that I made a mistake buying one way back then. Sure, it is a fun vehicle for the summer and general cruising around town, but the gas mileage sucks, the suspension sucks even on the newer ones, and unless you get one fully loaded, which by the way is going to cost a pretty penny, then it is not worth it. Plus, I don't care if you get a hardtop or softtop they are very NOISY!

I'll admit it was a fun vehicle when I first got one, but after a few years it just became a money pit! Good luck, but I would stay away from a Jeep.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page