Your basic, simple spark plug change in a cage... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-20-2004, 6:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Your basic, simple spark plug change in a cage...

So today is the day to do my second plug change in my '98 Toyota Tacoma V6 4X4. Ain't it just great working on late model engines? Not! First time it took me 1 1/2 hrs., being in uncharted territory and all compared to my previous '84 model. Today is smooth sailing, start to finish time looks to be 45 minutes. Then it happens, sixth and last plug going down the chute and, oh phuck, it slips out of the socket and travels to god knows where into the deep bowels of the engine compartment. Phuck!!! I get out the extendo-magnet and probe blindly. I get out the flashlight and peer everywhere to no avail. I get under the truck and remove both extremely greasy-ass skid plates, front and rear (nice design Toyota! ) No plug. It is obviously lodged in Murphy territory, never to be seen again. I decide to turn the engine over, hoping that the vibrations (Pete and stegen can relate here) might dislodge it. No way, but the engine does sound rather cool on 5 cylinders. Finally I say "uncle" and drive to the local Checker to buy a seventh plug. Just hope the missing bastard doesn't eventually dislodge itself and wind up between a belt and pulley. Sooo, a potential 45 minute job turned into a 2 hour, 45 minute cluster-phuck (minimal travel time included ).

Anyone else have any pleasant mechanical horror stories to relate?

By the way, I have always used NGK spark plugs in both cages and bikes because, well, just because I always have and have been happy with their longevity. What do you use and why?

And yes, sorry matt, I realize that this could have been two posts...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3323 (Medium).JPG‎  

Last edited by Bacchus; 06-20-2004 at 6:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-20-2004, 7:06 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

Re: Your basic, simple spark plug change in a cage...

Sorry Bacc. this post wreaks of hack-isms, a few...

1. SOCKET?? Always use a plug starter or at min a piece of 3/8" radiator hose...al heads are easy to cross-thread ya know?

2. need 6? buy 7. Why? because you never know...

3. only 2 hours out of your day and you're not still out there looking? cmon now...get back out there!

4. why are your skidplates greasy? is this the first maintenance you've done on your poor taco

The folks @ TTORA would be quite displeased with this behaivour mister...

:p
post #3 of 17 Old 06-20-2004, 7:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeStrangeGuy
Sorry Bacc. this post wreaks of hack-isms, a few...

1. SOCKET?? Always use a plug starter or at min a piece of 3/8" radiator hose...al heads are easy to cross-thread ya know?

Well, I DID put a little duct tape in the socket to ensure a good grip - guess it got beat down by the 6th plug. Never had a problem with cross-threading - always start out in reverse and take it nicccce and slowwwwwwwwww.

2. need 6? buy 7. Why? because you never know...

'Cause I NEVER make mistakes!

3. only 2 hours out of your day and you're not still out there looking? cmon now...get back out there!

Phuck it!

4. why are your skidplates greasy? is this the first maintenance you've done on your poor taco

Past oil changes - when you remove the oil filter, some "drippage" is unavoidable, dude, and guess where it ends up?

The folks @ TTORA would be quite displeased with this behaivour mister...

They can kiss my arse!

:p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-20-2004, 8:14 PM

You want a simple process turned into a nightmare story do ya? Well this one is pretty good.

A few years ago I decided it was time to lower my '98 S10 3" I looked into lowering kits, $200 not bad at all, but it was 2" coils in the front and 3" blocks in the rear or 3/4 front rear depending on the kit....sounded like a pretty crummy ride to me so I pieced together a kit myself. Well $1,000 later I had a complete top of the line "kit".

Day one went sh*tty and started the project off right since I dont have a garage so I worked outside in the driveway....NH weather didnt fail me it kept raining then stopping so I worked on it for an hour took an hour off (estimated) all day. I had to keep running to the store for parts/tools so it took a while to do the drivers side. The passenger side went very smooth and quick, time for the rear, when removing the stock leaf springs I ran into a problem, the drivers leaf front bolt is removed by going towards the passenger side. Well the 4" (?) bolt is roughly 3.75" from the gas tank so it doesnt come out completely without removing the gas tank, very close though. Great design Chevy . I decided it was easier to take a saws all to it and run to the store and get a new bolt and install it the smarter way. I almost flipped out when I saw that bolt didnt come out.

Now I need a FULL exhuast and CV shaft on my '95 toyota, cant wait to start that project
post #5 of 17 Old 06-20-2004, 8:27 PM Thread Starter

Alright MrX!!! Misery loves company!
post #6 of 17 Old 06-20-2004, 8:48 PM

Oh I got plenty of stories on this subject, seems like all my projects dont go as well as I'd like them to. Few upcoming projects....my toyota mentioned above ^^, Stainless brake lines F & R on my 954, new chain & sprockets on my RS50, and the most simple but the most scary....new wheels on my S10 (hope they fit)
post #7 of 17 Old 06-20-2004, 8:55 PM Thread Starter

DO keep us all posted on the details!
post #8 of 17 Old 06-20-2004, 9:00 PM

Reputation Power: 19

I can be my own worst enemy when it comes to working on machinery or even the house.

You know the saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Hey Bacchy, at least you didn't pay some hack ~$100+ to do your plugs.

Insignificant Member
post #9 of 17 Old 06-20-2004, 9:12 PM Thread Starter

That's right freq! If the job is even remotely possible for me to do myself, I will attempt it. At least I know it was done correctly! It's not even so much a matter of $$, it's more knowing that the service was done correctly. Well, except for the little matter of losing a spark plug...
post #10 of 17 Old 06-20-2004, 11:02 PM

Reputation Power: 50

If you had stood on a ladder so you could properly reach this never woulda happened
post #11 of 17 Old 06-20-2004, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Glad I lured you out of the woodwork ND4!

And.......
post #12 of 17 Old 06-20-2004, 11:39 PM

Reputation Power: 21

I belive I've already shared my valve adjustment story with you all. You know, the story of when my bud was helping and dropped the feeler guage down the cam chain galley? Resulted in an easter egg hunt that eventually bought us a trailer ride to the dealership to pull the cams and such. Plus 2 weeks without my bike.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-20-2004, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

I remember that story smkeatr! Whoops, didn't mean to sound so exuberant about it.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-21-2004, 12:50 AM

I can't believe you left that plug floating around in there. I've had to pull a motor and drop the oil pan, all because I dropped a 1/4" washer. Please dont drive that thing like that, its going to get really expensive when it wedges between the cams and other valvetrain items.

Edit: I just reread it...you droped in somewhere outside of the spark plug hole? In that case, yes, all cars are factory equipted with small black holes...the magicaly suck things like nuts and washers in when you drop them. I guess yours is big enought to swallow a plug :0

Last edited by G-Force Junkie; 06-21-2004 at 12:52 AM.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-21-2004, 4:01 AM

Reputation Power: 22

It must be nice just being able to walk under a truck and work without being on your back

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page