Wireless network problems...I'm stumped - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-28-2004, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Wireless network problems...I'm stumped

OK winner gets a big in my mind. I was home saturday due to a flat tire so I was online with my laptop, and did the latest windows update, I then went out to the uhhh library ..... and got home around 2am only to find the power was out, well it was out from 9:30pm-4am*ish, the next day when I got home from work I fired up my laptop again and it finds the wireless connection and just says its available. Now I can check the box that says "allow me to connect to the non-secure network" or whatever the exact terminology is then click connect and it has a balloon popup that says wireless connection available, and this is an ongoing loop, I set up an ecryption code to secure the network but it still only says wireless connection available and wont let me connect. I have also tried resetting my router and modem that didnt work.....Any ideas anyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-28-2004, 1:44 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to matt232
Re: Wireless network problems...I'm stumped

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX954
OK winner gets a big in my mind. I was home saturday due to a flat tire so I was online with my laptop, and did the latest windows update, I then went out to the uhhh library ..... and got home around 2am only to find the power was out, well it was out from 9:30pm-4am*ish, the next day when I got home from work I fired up my laptop again and it finds the wireless connection and just says its available. Now I can check the box that says "allow me to connect to the non-secure network" or whatever the exact terminology is then click connect and it has a balloon popup that says wireless connection available, and this is an ongoing loop, I set up an ecryption code to secure the network but it still only says wireless connection available and wont let me connect. I have also tried resetting my router and modem that didnt work.....Any ideas anyone
Is the Wireless Access Point (WAP) setup with MAC address filters?

Does both the laptop and the WAP have the same shared key, are you SURE?

Are you using the same encryption protocol (WEP or WPA) at the laptop and WAP?

Are you using the same encryption level (key length) at the laptop and WAP?

Are you sure you are attempting to connect to your WAP and not another one in the area?

Have you tired downloading the latest firmware for your WAP?

What were the Windows updates you installed?
post #3 of 13 Old 06-28-2004, 4:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt232
Is the Wireless Access Point (WAP) setup with MAC address filters?

Does both the laptop and the WAP have the same shared key, are you SURE?

Are you using the same encryption protocol (WEP or WPA) at the laptop and WAP?

Are you using the same encryption level (key length) at the laptop and WAP?

Are you sure you are attempting to connect to your WAP and not another one in the area?

Have you tired downloading the latest firmware for your WAP?

What were the Windows updates you installed?
Damn, I'll do that checklist tonight, its the same router that I have been using for years so not much has changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-28-2004, 9:27 PM
TAZ

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ

In my experience, when there's a power outage, it's necessary to power cycle the modem and the router. Power up the modem first, and wait for the connection light. Then power up the router. Finally, reboot your PC, so it gets an IP address after the DHCP server is ready.

Beyond that, you'll have to go in and check all the wireless settings, WEP, etc...

Last edited by TAZ; 06-28-2004 at 9:27 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-28-2004, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ
In my experience, when there's a power outage, it's necessary to power cycle the modem and the router. Power up the modem first, and wait for the connection light. Then power up the router. Finally, reboot your PC, so it gets an IP address after the DHCP server is ready.

Beyond that, you'll have to go in and check all the wireless settings, WEP, etc...
I dont have any security settings, I figure the only people in range to pick up my signal are old and dont have pc's so not much to woorry about, plus my street has only two houses so theres no traffic at all.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-29-2004, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ

The power outage would have "power cycled" it already, but yer always a trusty troubleshooting technique.

It sounds like there could be two causes.
1. The config on the WAP has been wiped in the outage
2. The windows updates have screwed with things, either the config on the laptop or the Wireless software (I know there was an update to get Windows to support WPA encryption.).

Were you still able to connect right after the updates and before the power outage?

Then again if there is no security someone may have come along and connected to the device and changed all the settings of the WAP anyway. The octogenrians can be pretty cluey with that stuff
post #7 of 13 Old 06-29-2004, 4:48 PM Thread Starter

WOW! I reset my modem and router in that order again and I'm online now! After spending hours checking the config. of my laptop vs. the router...have to check it again next time I log on with my laptop make sure its working correctly. Thanks for the advice Mat/Taz
post #8 of 13 Old 06-29-2004, 4:54 PM

Quote:
The power outage would have "power cycled" it already, but yer always a trusty troubleshooting technique.
not at all. A brown out or sub-second power loss can and typicaly does leave "appliance based" CPE in an unrecoverable state until power cycled properly.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-29-2004, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Well it was the Windows Update, I did a System restore before the update then went back to the site its a windows update for wireless security....guess I should have read the details before I d/l it oops. Now I just have to skip over that update and I should be fine.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-30-2004, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Well it was the Windows Update, I did a System restore before the update then went back to the site its a windows update for wireless security....guess I should have read the details before I d/l it oops. Now I just have to skip over that update and I should be fine.

The update must prevent a none encrypted connection.

What number was/is the update? I might have bit of a read.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-30-2004, 5:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The update must prevent a none encrypted connection.

What number was/is the update? I might have bit of a read.
Update for Microsoft Windows XP (KB826942)

So # 826942 I guess...what a pain in the arse that was to go through
post #12 of 13 Old 07-04-2004, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Update for Microsoft Windows XP (KB826942)

So # 826942 I guess...what a pain in the arse that was to go through
I had a quick look at the update doco and there doesn't seem to be any indication it would do that....weird.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-04-2004, 11:57 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

for future ref...sometimes you have to right click, or just click on the thing that pops up telling you there is a wireless connection...then hit connect...sometimes it tells you its there...but you just need to say connect. you might be able to check under my network connections too...and see what it says for wireless.

Team Honda - well sorta...

Last edited by showmethebombs; 07-04-2004 at 11:58 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page